Home Precious Metals
Options

If you're sweating out this down turn you bought too much too high.

You knew it could go down. What were you thinking?

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking from experience? I bought some while it was up but just a bag of mixed world silver coins to list on ebay. Gotta keep my inventory up.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased some PM's over the
    past three weeks. Currently
    sweating it out. OUCH !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Speaking from experience?

Nope, as a matter of fact I don't care which way it goes. I own a very comfortable amount (for me)
  • Options
    I bought a roll of 2011 Silver Philharmonics last friday.
    When I updated my excel file I noticed that the previous 2011 Philharmonics I bought (just one coin for my series) was paid $56.73 at Apmex in May! (I had a coupon for one free shipping)
    Can't imagine how is feeling now who started buying back then!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased some PM's over the
    sweating it out. OUCH !!! >>

why would you be sweating.... you don't lose money until you sell.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but your "current net asset value" IS down.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't play if you can't take the losses.

The investors that trade with margin are really hurting.......... NEVER use margin!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I purchased some PM's over the
    sweating it out. OUCH !!! >>

why would you be sweating.... you don't lose money until you sell. >>

I've never been able to comprehend this line of thinking.image

But to answer the OP, yes, your assertion is probably correct. And it ties directly to my comments on confidence and sentiment.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Pray tell, which way should we "know" it's going to "go" now, dear hindsight soothsayer?
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, but your "current net asset value" IS down. >>

Check your house value lately?
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very comfortable... no sweat here..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    If you believe our economic situation has not changed and can possibly get worse, then you should have no worries. Until we see the possibility of improvement, I see any sell off as an opportunity to add more to this asset area of my portfolio.

No worries - just opportunity.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, but your "current net asset value" IS down. >>

Check your house value lately? >>

Same thing....not a loss until you sell but overall net value IS down also!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would you be sweating.... you don't lose money until you sell. >>

I've never been able to comprehend this line of thinking.

Technically, I could run the numbers on all of my pm holdings every day. And technically speaking, my net worth would change day to day, based on the spot markets.

But, I don't consider my pm holdings as a trading account. And the way I look at it, I truly do believe that dollars are transitory and not very reliable in holding any discreet value per se'. In contrast, my view is that gold is the bedrock currency and that silver is a fallback currency - both of which are convertible at any given time.

Here's what I think is a good analogy. Bonds vary in value as interest rates change. Gold varies in value as the dollar changes. The dollar can be all over the map, and it APPEARS that gold is going up and down. That's how the bankers and politicians condition us to view gold.

I think that there is a real chance of sovereign default. Would we know in advance that it is coming? I have a hard time believing that anyone who will be affected will know it before it happens. If I need to cash in some gold or silver, I can. That may not always hold true for dollars.

I accept the risk of gold & silver declining in nominal dollar terms in exchange for the protection against sovereign dollar default. In the meantime, I get to watch as my holdings jump all over the chart in value as the general long term uptrend continues.

I've been doing this long enough to realize the benefit and to feel secure in this method of saving money.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Most of my gold is in PCGS and NGC 70s, several are key coins- most bought several years ago. I do not stack common gold bullion. I haven't bought much gold this year. If it hits $1200 I will be buying.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    warm, but comfortable.
    i'll cool down some this weekend, when i pick up some more. image

especially while i watch the dolphins beat the chargers @ home image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>especially while i watch the dolphins beat the chargers @ home image >>

How about a friendly wager...say, one ounce of silverimage

Tim in San Diego
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123