Home Precious Metals
Options

My concerns for the next 12 month:

1. I am concerned about keeping large sums of money in the big banks.

Yes. I know all about the FDIC. This Government insurance plan is bankrupt

as well as the big banks. I have long felt that someone was going to get hurt

, who you say, why the middle class of course.

2. PMs are being manipulated and unless you started stacking before it became

popular or have a strong stomach, their could be great danger here for the new

or novice collector.

3. Rare coins are can be a good place to park some money. However, once can not just run

along spending money like a chicken without a had spending . One must develop a plane,

must decide on the quality you can afford and seems to present som profit potential. Yes yoy

can have fun with G - VG graded coins, unless you have keys, all you will have is fun. Further,

Rare coin can have periods of downside or dormancy. All in thou, however, Rare coins in gold

and silver, is where I have chosen to place a large sum of money with the rest in insured

Bank Accounts.

4. Government bonds and T bills seem very over priced and historic low interest rates. If rates

go up then you get killed by the losses in your equity.

5. Funds carried by mutual funds like Fidelity, have created funds in conservative dividend paying stock, as well

as corporate bonds from cash solid companies paying 5% a year. Of course, If the economy is totally fried and the political parties

will not work together in an honorable and effective manner then this option has problems.

Not all of these issues may not turn into disasters .However, we are going thru a period of unimagined danger . In my 73 years, I have

never seen anything like this. Cash without actual value, Treasury notes and bond with only the value of the paper and the ink.

World wide economic instability , the continual loss of quality jobs a tax burden that in actual taxes paid, are the lowest since the

Great Depression. This allowes these giant companies to avoid taxes for all practical purposes. What is not to be worried about.

which all the mega international corporations

There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    So, Mr. Bear, you moved to Baleyville?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, Mr. Bear, you moved to Baleyville? >>

Can smoeone give me an address in case I change my mind. image
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    The bulk of my cash sits in credit unions in CD'S of 5 years paying 412 - 5%. They mature in early 2013. Then I will need to find an investment paying about the same. I don't think there will be any. My 401k has made 2% on average. I sold most of my gold holdings a few weeks ago at just over $1900 an ounce.image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Is Baleysville a good thing just as potersville is a bad thing?
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    yes with a broad stroke, i agree

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The bulk of my cash sits in credit unions in CD'S of 5 years paying 412 - 5%. They mature in early 2013. Then I will need to find an investment paying about the same. I don't think there will be any. My 401k has made 2% on average. I sold most of my gold holdings a few weeks ago at just over $1900 an ounce.image >>

Nice. What's your next move? image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The bulk of my cash sits in credit unions in CD'S of 5 years paying 4-12 - 5%. They mature in early 2013. Then I will need to find an investment paying about the same. I don't think there will be any. My 401k has made 2% on average. I sold most of my gold holdings a few weeks ago at just over $1900 an ounce.image >>

If one assumes the same CPI methodology used in the 1970's and early 1980's, then one needs an interest rate of at least 6-10% just to break even vs. currently rising prices.
    The only index showing the consumer price basket rising less than 4% per year is the govt's (BLS). But keeping one's cash during a deleveraging crunch (ie last few weeks/months)
    is certainly the most important thing right now.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I was neither being a potter nor a Bailey . I was merely stating my

concerns as a retiree and cost to retirement folks. How do we

get any kind of return on our money with some reasonable assurance.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Nice. What's your next move?

The money I just made on selling gold is being reinvested back into gold. My question is what REALLY is bringing a return of 6-10% currently on investments of say 100 -150k besides metals?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be really disappointed if my biggest single investment (about half of assets) doesn't at least triple in the next 3 years.

Of course, it could also go down 50, 75, or 99.9% in that time.

The big money's never safe, and the safe money's never big.

Hint: it ain't made of metal

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or paper image

very nice to hear from you, bear

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice. What's your next move?

The money I just made on selling gold is being reinvested back into gold. My question is what REALLY is bringing a return of 6-10% currently on investments of say 100 -150k besides metals? >>

That's easy...look no further than our host's stock...paying 8%+ in dividend annually + the potential of price appreciation.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>The money I just made on selling gold is being reinvested back into gold. >>

Good move. I think if we could look ahead one year from now, we'll see that the next few months were an excellent buying period. -app