Home Metal Detecting
Options

Newbie needing advice on purchasing a MD

I am in a deadlock between 3 models - Garrett Ace 250, BH Landstar, and Teknetics Alpha 2000. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Which metal detector would be best suited to hunt for this? See Related Thread.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First see if there is an MD club in the area... (recommended this in the other thread)... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>First see if there is an MD club in the area... (recommended this in the other thread)... Cheers, RickO >>

Hey RickO, thank for the replies! I have looked, but there are no local MD clubs. I am very interested in picking up this hobby though. Would you have any recommendations as to which kind/model of MD to purchase? Thanks!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you know of any coin clubs or know where there are some shows you might be able to get some help there. it worked for me image
  • Options
    The ace 250 is a pretty decent machine.
  • Options
    Decided to get the ACE 350 with 8.5x11 DD coil. Wish me luck, I know I'll need it!
  • Options
    That is a good entry level machine.... heck, some people stick with it for years and years. It should find your cache, but it will take diligence. First, learn the machine and what it is telling you.... take some coins out in the yard and see how they sound.... even try burying a couple. Also, you should 'grid' the area... not just search at random. Remember also, you may have to cover the ground in a couple of directions (i.e. E to W and N to S). Good luck in your search, and feel free to ask questions. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help!

RickO, do you feel as though the coil that comes with the 350 is sufficient to find this cache?
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    If its there and you get close it will pick it up. Good luck and let us know how you did.
  • Options

I have one of those. It goes deep. If it's still there you'll find it.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I agree... it should do the job..... sure, there are better machines/coils.... however, you do not know if you will stick to the hobby after you find your cache. So, this investment is a wise decision and will - a) Find the cache, if it is still there. and b) Let you decide if this is a hobby you want to stick with. Good luck and keep us posted... feel free to ask questions as you progress. Cheers, RickO