Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal detecting comment

This was the first time I have ventured over I think to this side of the forum....and I like the stories. There is a sense of adventure but I think you find satisfaction too in finding the little stuff like wheaties and buffalo nickels. image

I have to admit that metal detecting has always fascinated me but perhaps out of my own self-perception thought the public act of doing it was embarrassing.

Have any of you initially experienced that feeling and overcome it?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us have felt a tad self conscious when first starting out.... it soon vanishes and you become wrapped up in the hobby. Learning tones, terrain, good and bad areas etc etc etc.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've felt that a little-- I use headphones to block off any comments people might have. image

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    about 2 years ago, i was searching a park. i was close to a sidewalk with heavy foot traffic. most people just looked and moved on. a group of older gang looking people came by. they stopped and asked if i had found anything good yet. one guy said he was always interested in trying a metal detector. they turned out to be real nice.

last week we had 2 teenagers come up to us(myself and 2 friends). they were curious and polite.

sure there will be an occational jerk, but most people are pretty cool about. maybe there is some respect gained with all the tv shows based on treasure hunting. i get more weird looks from people walking by the coin store and looking at me through the window. i don't care much anymore. the general public has no idea how much valuble stuff lay buried. maybe they think ghosts misplace they're stuff.

aside from all this, i have gained knowledge of a vast number of things and friends for life.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me to be out and have people see me. And like has been said previously in this thread some people just like to come up to you and see how it's going. It does bother my wife what people think of me out there but that is easing up too.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still do

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Hey I used to detect every weekend ...couldn't wait to hit the schools parks....even did research into when these places were built ect..ect..but i always went when there were no people around....not that i was anti social...i was so focused on the tones....i wore ear phones....anyways the silver dimes barbers,roosevelts,and mecury's had that distinct tone....i love pulling up a silver dime or quarter...and it comes up just as shiny as the day they dropped it...wow....and it kind of makes you think how long that little gem has been waiting for you to come along....or what year it was lost...who was president...you know what i mean?...good luck....an old school coin hunter.....