Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UPDATED--Unbelievable story on Kruk Cards--MUST READ

I can't believe this story actually happened. When I called Kruk as a last resort, I told the last person I spoke to that word of mouth is the best advertisement, so I am putting my money where my mouth is and sharing this story.

I bought a 1996 Finest Jose Canseco Gold card for a team set from kruksingles on Sept. 18 (item number 220835339478)--I don't like to buy from Kruk to begin with, but he was the only person on eBay with the card and they were cheaper than dealers on Sportlots and Beckett.com. Soon after paying for the item, I receive a request to cancel the transaction with the following note:

We are sorry for this inconvenience but your card was not found. You should have a refund in your
PayPal to reflect the amount for the missing card. Please check that you do then respond to this case.
Thank you for your purchase.

I was a little miffed, but it is understandable that with all of the cards they have, they might make a mistake here and there. I agreed to cancel the transaction.

As of Sept. 21, I had not received a refund, so I sent an eBay message asking for my refund. I received the following response the next day, Sept. 22:

It should be coming soon, I'm sorry about the delay. We're having trouble and health issues.

WTF!?! How many people work at Kruk Cards, and they can't refund me $5 that will take them 2 minutes because of "trouble and health issues!?!" Are you telling me that A) they don't know how to do it, B) EVERY SINGLE employee is having a health issue that prevents them from refunding me my $5, or C) some other bizarro explanation!?!

Today, Sept. 23, I called Kruk Cards and told the person that answered the phone what my problem was. He said in a genuinely surprised tone "You received that message from us?" He transferred me to someone who said that they were in charge. This person told me that the "person that gives the refunds is out on health issues and won't be back until next Tuesday at the latest." I asked him if he was telling me that only one person is capable of issuing refunds, and he replied that they only have one person with the power to issue refunds because it is a "security issue" and that "if everyone could give a refund, it would be insane." At that point I lost it and told him he didn't know how to run a business, yadda yadda. I said that I noticed in his feedback that having out of stock cards and not issuing refunds for long periods of time is a recurring theme in their negatives, and he said "If you want to leave a negative, I can't stop you." I went on for a few more minutes being a little pissy, then hung up.

I can guarantee that this is the last time I will try to do business with Kruk again. I guess when you get that big, you forget about the customers.
Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I stopped buying form them a long time ago...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    That is NOT a good excuse on their part.

IN BEFORE THE POOF!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    You Went went through all that for $5 ??

• Options

<< <i>

IN BEFORE THE POOF!!! >>

+1
  • Options
    I won't touch anything they have for sale with a 10 foot pole. To many bad experiences shared on these boards to warrant the possible trouble.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You Went went through all that for $5 ?? >>

Isn't it a matter of principle? What, am I going to eat my $5?

I have owned a card store for 23 years, and one of the most important lessons I have learned is the good customer service is a key asset to surviving in the sports cards industry. When you think about it, all of us dealers have mostly the same old crap, and to be successful you need to have something that separates you from the competition; customer service is one of those qualities.

I guess I am so hot about it because it offends me personally as a store owner that tries so hard to keep customers happy.
  • Options
    I will only buy PSA cards from them if that. Anything else can be a real headache.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    whatta clusterKruk.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    be sure to leave the appropriate feedback

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    That is a lot of hassle for $5. I understand the principal part but geez.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The part about how 'if everyone could give out a refund, it would be insane' made me literally laugh out loud. Anyone who's ever had low or semi-skilled employees working for them can certainly sympathize with this, and understand why this policy absolutely has to be in place.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't wimp out. Leave the appropriate feedback. They sound like outstanding sellers.
  • Options
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Will not buy from them again
  • Options
    Local to me and whack. I would avoid too. Drop the Neg bomb on them...no mercy! Satisfy the buyer in a timely manner or suffer the feedback.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I no longer trust them either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 10 years, I have NOT received 2 items on Ebay.

One of the cards was a 1979 Topps Keith Hernandez that I bought for $1. Kruk Cards was the seller.

The only other card I didn't receive was a 1952 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 5. Guess who the seller was....... WIWAG. Luckily, HIS insurance paid for the card. He probably ripped off his insurance company.

Shane

• Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    For many of you who have ordered from him, it is a believable story
  • Options
    About 15 years ago, I used to buy complete sets from them because I didn't know any better. Out of about 10 sets, each one had 1 or 2 missing, sometimes stars, sometimes commons. They made good on them, but I got tired of the hassle.
  • Options
    I stopped buying from them over 7 years ago.
    They don't care about their customers.
  • Options
    I never buy from them. There have been many times in which they were the only person with the card I needed but I waitied it out until I saw someone else selling.

IMO, at a minimum, they are sloppy and lazy. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Dave
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Man, that's kruk'd up. I'd be kruk'n man if they gave me that kruk'd up excuse. Kruk'n krock kruckers.
  • Options
    they have a few cases i'd like, but wont budge on shipping. guess im seeing why here.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    The part about how 'if everyone could give out a refund, it would be insane' made me literally laugh out loud. Anyone who's ever had low or semi-skilled employees working for them can certainly sympathize with this, and understand why this policy absolutely has to be in place.

Agreed, but when one of my bartenders calls out sick I don't tell my patrons they're gonna need to wait til tomorrow for a drink. How hard would it be for them to go go "Hey Bill, Bob is having an appendectomy and will be out for the next few weeks. Can you handle refunds while he's out?"

Obviously they fall very short on the customer service side of things, but they've been in business this long so I guess it still works for them.
  • Options

<< <i>The part about how 'if everyone could give out a refund, it would be insane' made me literally laugh out loud. Anyone who's ever had low or semi-skilled employees working for them can certainly sympathize with this, and understand why this policy absolutely has to be in place.

Agreed, but when one of my bartenders calls out sick I don't tell my patrons they're gonna need to wait til tomorrow for a drink. How hard would it be for them to go go "Hey Bill, Bob is having an appendectomy and will be out for the next few weeks. Can you handle refunds while he's out?"

>>

Lee,

Nam told me if that's the case at your place, your to just help yourself......Or is that just Him ???

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In 10 years, I have NOT received 2 items on Ebay.

One of the cards was a 1979 Topps Keith Hernandez that I bought for $1. Kruk Cards was the seller.

The only other card I didn't receive was a 1952 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 5. Guess who the seller was....... WIWAG. Luckily, HIS insurance paid for the card. He probably ripped off his insurance company. >>

Wow, Kruk and WIWAG in the same post.
    Yeah, this thread won't last long
  • Options
    Maybe what Kruk cards is saying is that their customer service is so bad that if everyone COULD give refunds, they would be doing nothing BUT giving refunds.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The part about how 'if everyone could give out a refund, it would be insane' made me literally laugh out loud. Anyone who's ever had low or semi-skilled employees working for them can certainly sympathize with this, and understand why this policy absolutely has to be in place. >>

So if the two guys in shipping get colds the same week nothing gets shipped? I know money transfers are much more serious but to have something so important delegated to one individual is pretty crazy. I am sure there is more than one reliable person/owner that could do this transaction if needed. Also we all know that this is a 5 to 10 minute task to do tops. We aren't asking them to wire money from a Swiss bank account to an off shore money laundering account.

Somebody in upper management needs to get the monkeys off the phones and back into the shipping department and try and behave like they know what they are doing over there. They need to hire someone that knows something about customer service.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion a business like Kruk's should have at least 2 people that can authorize refunds.

Letting only one person do that could wind up costing them, unless of course the only person

authorized is the owner.

I would not have stressed over 5.00, I simply would have filed for my refund through PP

if it was not in my account when they first said it would be.

Good for you.
  • Options
    I think I found a photo of their customer service agent:

• Options
    Wow... I've actually made money off Kruk. They have across-the-board 40%OFF sales and I plunder the most sellable items. Best pickup was a 1984 Tigers team signed bat for around $150 with PSA/DNA cert. Sold it on Craigslist for $350..... Thanks Krukky!!
  • Options

"You want refund? Transfer!"
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Next time pay with a credit card via PayPal and do a chargeback through the credit card company. This way you will end up costing the bast ards around $25 to $50 depending on their merchant agreement with the CC company in question. Make them pay for not refunding that $5 in a timely manner. Than leave all 1 stars and neg them.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The part about how 'if everyone could give out a refund, it would be insane' made me literally laugh out loud. Anyone who's ever had low or semi-skilled employees working for them can certainly sympathize with this, and understand why this policy absolutely has to be in place. >>

So if the two guys in shipping get colds the same week nothing gets shipped? I know money transfers are much more serious but to have something so important delegated to one individual is pretty crazy. I am sure there is more than one reliable person/owner that could do this transaction if needed. Also we all know that this is a 5 to 10 minute task to do tops. We aren't asking them to wire money from a Swiss bank account to an off shore money laundering account.

Somebody in upper management needs to get the monkeys off the phones and back into the shipping department and try and behave like they know what they are doing over there. They need to hire someone that knows something about customer service. >>

I'm not saying anything about Kruk's customer service, which I'm sure is terrible; I'm just speaking to the quote about what would happen if everyone could process refunds, which I found hilarious and spot-on. It completely reminded me of my time as a roofer, where we would have moved heaven and Earth to keep our guys from ever having anything to do with the financial side of the business.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    For the time it took to email you, they could have spent that time issuing a refund.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You Went went through all that for $5 ?? >>

Sometimes it's the principle of things. They use to be in Metro Detroit area, now I think they moved to the west side of Michigan. I wanted to buy a set from them years ago and could easily drive to there warehouse, I don't think they really had a store front, to save on shipping costs. They said they had to ship it and I could not pick it up. Never have bought from them.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Glad I read this. I was looking at several cheap singles to buy from them. But if this is the way they treat their customers, I'll find them elsewhere.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Wake up in the morning feelin' pissy
    Grab my loupe I'm out the door I'm gonna buy some 60's
    Before I leave I grab an extra Willie and Hank
    Cuz when I hit the show to trade they ain't comin' back

I'm talkin' dealers should be on their toes toes
    They better not be closed closed
    Or else I'll be blowin' up their phones phones
    Drop dime better put me at ease
    Refund's way past tardy
    Ain't gettin' no tip from me............

Please stop make it pop
    JO blow my grades up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Till they get my sub in sight
    Tick tock, on the clock
    But the grading don't stop, no
    Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh

Ain't got no care in the world, and they don't seem to hear
    Ain't got no money to refund me but somehow they're still here
    But still the dudes are lining up because they hear they got SCHWAGGER
    But they kick em to the curb like some sorry douchebagger

I'm talkin'
    EVERYBODY GETTIN' KRUK KRUK
    TRYING TO KEEP MY JUNK JUNK
    Gonna smack em if they keep on like punks
    Now now they go til they kick them out out
    Or the police shut them down down
    Police shut them down
    PO PO SHUT THEM DOWN?

Please stop make it pop
    Carol blow my grades up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Til I see my sub in light
    Tick tock on the clock
    But the party don't stop, no

You take my cash
    You send my card
    My heart it pounds,
    Yeah you got me

Put your hands up
    I got you now
    You got my cash
    Yeah I got you

You take my cash
    You send my card
    My heart it pounds,
    Seems so easy

The Po Po's here
    Put your hands up
    Put your hands up up up up up
    Party don't start, Kruk, til law walks in.........

Please stop, make it pop
    Itzagoner's got his up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock on the clock
    Kruk your party's gonna stop

This seminal moment of humor is brought to you by Ron Burgundy. It is a free preview of the premium content he offers each day.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Ron you need to make that mix and put it on youtube.
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wake up in the morning feelin' pissy

Refund's way past tardy

Please stop make it pop
    JO blow my grades up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock, on the clock

I'm talkin'
    Police shut them down
    PO PO SHUT THEM DOWN?

Please stop make it pop
    Carol blow my grades up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock on the clock

You take my cash
    You send my card
    My heart it pounds,
    Yeah you got me

Put your hands up
    I got you now
    You got my cash
    Yeah I got you

You take my cash
    You send my card
    My heart it pounds,
    Seems so easy

The Po Po's here
    Put your hands up

Please stop, make it pop
    Itzagoner's got his up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock on the clock

This seminal moment of humor is brought to you by Ron Burgundy. It is a free preview of the premium content he offers each day. >>

Ron, this is frickin' hilarious! How I wish the entire board knew what song this went with. A YouTube link is definitely needed.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options

<< <i>Wake up in the morning feelin' pissy

Refund's way past tardy

Please stop make it pop
    JO blow my grades up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock, on the clock

I'm talkin'
    Police shut them down
    PO PO SHUT THEM DOWN?

Please stop make it pop
    Carol blow my grades up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock on the clock

You take my cash
    You send my card
    My heart it pounds,
    Yeah you got me

Put your hands up
    I got you now
    You got my cash
    Yeah I got you

You take my cash
    You send my card
    My heart it pounds,
    Seems so easy

The Po Po's here
    Put your hands up

Please stop, make it pop
    Itzagoner's got his up
    Tonight I'mma tight
    Tick tock on the clock

This seminal moment of humor is brought to you by Ron Burgundy. It is a free preview of the premium content he offers each day. >>

Did you already have that written or did you write it on the fly?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Ron!

The only experience with Kruk for me was 20 yrs ago - he was buying out stores and large collections at that time.

When I spoke with him - he said one thing that spooked me - can't remember exact words but this is the main takeaway: "it's a nice card - it does have one peeled corner - but if you sell it in a screw-down - they won't tell the difference" - maybe he meant "I" would be satisfied with it for appearance sake - but not sure - I'll let others draw their own conclusion.

He was nice enough to talk with on the phone.

This guy has probably grossed tonnage over the years.
    Mike
  • Options
    Update to this story:

Yesterday Kruk sent me $5 via Paypal. They didn't refund my $5 on the original transaction or gift me $5; they SENT me $5, so I lost $0.45 in Paypal fees. I called and asked the person who answered the phone how much BS I need to go through to get my $5. The person said they would send me another $2 and that would make it more than $5. Soon after that, someone sent me $1.50, of which I lost another $0.34. So, in total, Kruk sent me $6.50, of which $0.79 went to Paypal and I received $5.71.

Does no one at Kruk Cards know the right way to send a refund, or are they just so wasteful with money that they don't mind giving extra money to Paypal that they don't have to? They are definitely the epitome of a careless business.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Update to this story:

Yesterday Kruk sent me $5 via Paypal. They didn't refund my $5 on the original transaction or gift me $5; they SENT me $5, so I lost $0.45 in Paypal fees. I called and asked the person who answered the phone how much BS I need to go through to get my $5. The person said they would send me another $2 and that would make it more than $5. Soon after that, someone sent me $1.50, of which I lost another $0.34. So, in total, Kruk sent me $6.50, of which $0.79 went to Paypal and I received $5.71.

Does no one at Kruk Cards know the right way to send a refund, or are they just so wasteful with money that they don't mind giving extra money to Paypal that they don't have to? They are definitely the epitome of a careless business. >>

See??? This is what happens when just anyone can issue a refund!!!
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    I must be one of the more cool people on here since I know what song this is Ron is working with.

Too funny on the multiple refunds!

TIK TOK
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>I must be one of the more cool people on here since I know what song this is Ron is working with.
    >>

it's been awhile since i begged my daughter to stop playing it. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Wrote that Saturday morning. There's a good cover band in Dallas that does it better than the original.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.