Home Metal Detecting

9/19/11 - Certainly an interesting day...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Well, certainly an interesting day today. I wanted to go check out the inn (mentioned in the other thread) that some of you were interested in purchasing! I couldnt let you guys down, so I figured nothing gets a better photograph than near-dark conditions.

But first, to kill some time I stopped by a local park in hopes of a couple of wheats. After 5 minutes I got a deep wheat! Then a few minutes later a couple kids on bikes roll in... no, don't talk to me... "hey kids" - haha. They ask me some questions and in the meantime the kids soccer team showed up. Then one of the guys asks me how a knife would signal. "huh?" So he pulls out a large folding pocket knife. Now talk about an awkward moment, but I quickly realized it was still daylight and a bunch of kids and adults were around... he was young too. So, they actually started to get into detecting and followed me around. Not thinking anything would show up, I selected the coin signals for them to dig.

They start digging a dime signal and all of a sudden I see silver. "You're kidding me?!?" Turned out to be a '44 Merc, so I told the kids this one was mine and they were quick to hand it over. All in all some good kids and I gave them some pennies and dimes.

Ok, then it was just about dark enough to "take pictures" of the inn. I pull in and feel a little like I'm on a covert mission. Then I realized I forgot my camera so it was best to detect to pass some more time! Didn't spend much time there, but 5 minutes in got a wheat cent signal. Dug about 4-5 inches, but another glint of silver showed. Picked it up..."what the heck is this?" Couldn't recognize it...maybe a Barber?? Tucked it away for later. Found one more wheat and decided to head out after only 20 minutes. What I've learned is if you can't recognize something right away, just assume it's Canadian...

Edited: those scratches were on the Canadian dime, wasn't from me

HH all!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice silver anyway.... good luck on your next visit.... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver is still silver. nice pick ups

• Ditto. And post some pics of the inn. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ditto. And post some pics of the inn. image >>

Ya some pics.

I envision the place littered with colonial copper

Steve
    Promote the Hobby

• << <i>

<< <i>Ditto. And post some pics of the inn. image >>

Ya some pics.

I envision the place littered with colonial copper

Steve >>

Yeah Boy! Let's just dig a trifle deeper, shall we?
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Wow hey i havn't swung a detector in ten years but to see that mercury dime brings back fond memories....great find....it makes me want to break out old whites spectrim and head out to the parks...have you ever found two in the same hole?i can only remember one time.....they were roosevelts i think.....GREAT FIND....OLD SCHOOL COIN SHOOTER