Home Precious Metals

China Consolidates Grip on Rare Earth Metals

BEIJING — In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

By closing or nationalizing dozens of the producers of rare earth metals — which are used in energy-efficient bulbs and many other green-energy products — China is temporarily shutting down most of the industry and crimping the global supply of the vital resources.

Most of the country’s rare earth factories have been closed since early August
Many successful BST transactions ajia
(x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
mariner67, and Mikes coins

Comments

• Quite scary, it's one modern technology China has a monopoly on, and they're quite happy to make others suffer for it. Really need to get viable alternatives established in the West, I remember reading that last time Western countries started to mine Rare Earths, China flooded the market and made it unprofitable so the mines closed. Might be time to make it in the national interest to open mines so that they can be subsidised and stay open no matter what China do.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    Good. Maybe the U.S will reconsider getting rid of the incadescent bulb even though its less effecient. You would think that a better bulb than a flourescent could be manufactured today.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    they are reopening a rare earth mine in California? but it takes like 24 months to get operational
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good. Maybe the U.S will reconsider getting rid of the incadescent bulb even though its less effecient. You would think that a better bulb than a flourescent could be manufactured today. >>

LED bulbs are available.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The Chinese put many if not all of the rare earth mines in the US out of business due to their low prices, with this change, it may generate a bunch of jobs in this country. Just remember, rare earth metals aren't rare.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Oz, an Emmy winning heart surgeon, and called for the FDA to increase inspections and set strict standards for inorganic arsenic levels in juice concentrates.

"This is especially important because over 60% of the apple and pear juice concentrates in the United States are imported from China, a country with notoriously lax food safety standards and a place where toxic inorganic arsenic is routinely used in pesticides," Schumer said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/09/18/2011-09-18_chuck_schumer_weighs_in_on_dr_oz_juice_controversy_says_fda_needs_to_regulate_ju.html#ixzz1YLEJDxMu

Oops, sorry, off topic image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need to open mines here in North America,..... No, I do not agree that government should subsidize them.... either they make it or they don't. I do not pay taxes to subsidize mines, farmers or those too lazy to work. Cheers, RickO
  • I'm not in favour in subsidising much either but the trouble would be if China floods the market, pushing prices down, then these US mines would be unprofitable and closed, then China would maintain their monopoly.

The trouble with not subsidising farmers is that countries like the UK would not grow its own food and that almost had disasterous consequences in WWII when they were blockaded. So it is vital to national security that a country can grow its own food, or at least ensure a stable supply from elsewhere.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    China CAN and WILL monopolize almost anything AT WILL.
    Because we gave them the power to do that and we maintain their power to continue.

Your grandkids will rightfully hate your guts.

I'm exempt as MY grandkids are getting LOTS of gold.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Say what you want about Donald Trump he is right about China.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    Tarriffs could end their grip on their monopoly also in the U.S. I believe Trump wants to tax all Chinese imports.
    Tariffs are the ONLY solution. Why won't they be implemented? Because corporate profits do better with slave labor.
    Wave bye bye to the middle class. Oh, they already left, huh?
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I got word about the up-coming shortage of energy-efficient bulbs and considering I have several T8 fixtures in my garage and shop, I bought a couple cases when I could get them for less than $2.00 each. Now, the electrical supply house can't even get them. At the same time, I bought a bunch of bulbs (130v) for my can lights.

Some of the elements used in the batteries for the electric/hybred cars also comes from China. As usual, we shoot ourselves in the foot going GREEN!

As for the mine in California, it is my understanding with will be for strategic use only. Mainly because the material to make the magnets we use to control our advance fighters comes from China image but is also found in California. Anyone one want to bet a lawsuit will be filed by the greenees to stop the mine as it will endanger the "rare earth dirt clod."

On a side note, I agree, it is time to put a large tarriff on the products being imported from China.
    It ...WAS.... a good time to put tariffs on China. Now they have some enormous leverage via our bond market. They can bring us to our knees in a day. Simple economics and we know it. "We" being the treasury and Fed.
  • rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    China has failed to learn the lesson from OPEC. When the US starts making noise about increasing domestic production you are supposed lower the price and flood the market making the new production economically infeasible. All they are doing with this move is bumping up the QRE share price.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see plenty of compact fluorescent light bulbs for sale on major retail web sites for less than $1.50.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>I see plenty of compact fluorescent light bulbs for sale on major retail web sites for less than $1.50. >>

They are kind of like coins. You need to know what you are buying before you make a comparison. Do you remember what a regular light bulb use to cost? I believe I use to get a 4-pack for about a buck or less.

T5 & T8 bulbs are not CFL. Granted, the article stated there was a huge price increase in the CFL, which by the way, are one of the biggest ripoffs ("Lasts up to 10 times longer").
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>China has failed to learn the lesson from OPEC. When the US starts making noise about increasing domestic production you are supposed lower the price and flood the market making the new production economically infeasible. All they are doing with this move is bumping up the QRE share price. >>

Molycorp Inc., down $11.56 at $41.45
    A JPMorgan analyst downgraded the miner's stock to "Neutral" from "Overweight" citing a sharp drop in rare-earth mineral prices--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    China, being in control of 95% of RE supplies, is positioning itself to use them to prevent tariffs on it's other exports. By controlling who gets what RE's, China can dictate "no tariffs" on its other exports.

For those that have not been paying attention, China, for the last few years, has been positioning itself to be in full control of the world-wide markets and economies. Look for their aid to European countries to be to their advantage when those same countries have to decide between supporting the US or China on the world political scene (UN votes for example). Also look for the Yuan to eventually be backed by gold and replace the US dollar as the world currency. China has realized they don't need a military to conquer the world.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

<< <i>China has realized they don't need a military to conquer the world. >>

Yup, been saying that for a long time. They took away our manufacturing jobs, got us dependent on low priced items while building their bank account. Now they are turning their IOU's into hard assets, including our major technology companys and to top if off, they can always influence elections with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Don't forget, the also run our seaports.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how China's plan is faring?

MCP from $77 to $3. Arent bubbles awesome!!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how China's plan is faring?

MCP from $77 to $3. Arent bubbles awesome!!! >>

Moving right along as planned

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a population 5 times larger than the US, anything short of the largest economy would be a dismal failure.

Chinese yuan will not be accepted in the USA as dollars are in China in my lifetime though, if ever.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at UCORE from Canada, just had approval to mine rare earths in Alaska (Trades as UURAF)
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2