Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So what is the deal with the Xmas rack packs from the 50's?

I know these were not put out by Topps, so who did put them out? And when?

Every so often one pops up with Jackie Robinson on the front, and they do look cool, but they have no value right? All repackaged cards?

-Jason

Comments

• Options
    They usually grade 5 to 7. I have gotten a few 8's. Depending on the year, you can usually break even when there are stars showing. Probstein has a consignment that has a Mantle showing in a 56 Rack.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    If they look appealing and you think you might want one for your collection
    you should just make it yourself.
    Pick the cards you want on front and back - make a header card and voilà..........
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget io include using rusty staples so it appears old. LOL
  • Options
    The "legit" ones are suppose to have a black mark on the staple. I would stay away from any of the others.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The "legit" ones are suppose to have a black mark on the staple. I would stay away from any of the others. >>

"legit"???? what does that mean?
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I didnt think any of these Christmas racks were legitimate! I never heard about the black mark before.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are still being made today but I might be wrong.

• Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget io include using rusty staples so it appears old. LOL >>

Didn't Rusty Staples play RF for the Houston Colt 45s?

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    No, that was this guy...and it had nothing to do with staples!

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    they are repackaged modern made BS
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Worth it as long as you value it ONLY by the six visible cards in a EX condition. Other than that, it's a great way for sellers to get ten times the price for their 50s & 60s commons.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they are still making late 60s and early 70s xmas racks as we speak..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'm surprised nobody on ebay is selling a resealing kit complete with resealer machine, assorted plastic wrap, various printed labels and rusted or non-rusted staples...including "How To" instructions, along with a guide on fooling the public with a clever ebay sales pitch.

The more expensive kits can come with any number of EXMT vintage baseball cards. LOL
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the xmas cello wrap being sold on ebay, but haven't seen the rest of the "kit" yet.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't forget io include using rusty staples so it appears old. LOL >>

Didn't Rusty Staples play RF for the Houston Colt 45s?

image >>

I used to hate it when he came to bat...seemed like he always got a clutch hit against my Phillies.

Heckuva ballplayer though...that Rusty Staples. LOL
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    This seller is "swinging for the fences" with this rack:
    54 Aaron rack
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Nice Ebay ID. Guess he does customs.
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing... There is a rack on eBay right now by a seller with 3,000 positives and zero negative marks, with that do you still think they are fakes??? They look very legit to mhowever I was born in 1970 so these were no where near my time........
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    he is very clear about the fakes...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he is very clear about the fakes... >>

Or is he just clear about how his fake is much higher quality than the other guys fakes image I never considered buying these because it would be too easy for a trimmed card to make its way in there. Even if it looks like a "7" on top - you never know.

-Doug
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    actually there has ben a big misconception about these packs...I spoke to someone high up in the hobby chain and there are more finds coming out.

Supposedly there was a HUGE stash of Hanukah racks that have been found. Most have been sent to GAI for grading and should hit the hobby soon.

Stay tuned!! Shalom

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Whatever they were originally and whatever they have become since, they have also shown up in several recent major auction house catalogs and auctions
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al