Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Albanese to Head PNG Coin Doctoring Definition Committee

link

The Professional Numismatists Guild (www.PNGdealers.com) has formed a committee composed of PNG members and non-members to research and draft an industry-acceptable definition of “coin doctoring.”

“They will draft an exhaustive but concise definition. Coin doctoring is a crucial, perplexing issue that needs to be addressed for the benefit of collectors and dealers,” said Jeffrey Bernberg, PNG President. “We’re determined to get this done.”

The committee is headed by John Albanese, President of Certified Acceptance Corporation (CAC) and the National Consumer Alliance (www.StopCoinFraud.com), a non-profit numismatic organization involved in consumer education and protection. Albanese was also a co-founder of Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) in 1986 and the founder of Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) in 1987, the two largest, independent third-party rare coin authentication and grading companies.

Also serving on the committee are former PNG Vice President John Feigenbaum of David Lawrence Rare Coins; Frank Greenberg of Delaware Valley Rare Coins; PNG Immediate Past President Paul Montgomery of American Precious Metals Exchange; Laura Sperber of Legend Numismatics; and Scott Travers, author of The Coin Collector’s Survival Manual.

Any other numismatic professionals interested in participating are invited to contact Albanese by email at shield30@aol.com.

“The committee consists of a varied group of respected numismatists who have a wide range of expertise. Our job is to specifically define coin doctoring so we can better protect consumers from buying coins that have been tampered with in a manner meant to deceptively alter a coin, and thus, affect the long-term value of their investment,” said Albanese.

“The doctoring problem plagues the industry as a whole and has the potential to affect the credibility of all rare coins, certified or otherwise. The PNG is the ideal organization to lead an unbiased charge against the unsavory tactics of coin doctors because the PNG stands at the forefront of numismatic integrity and leadership in the professional coin community.”

In July 2010, the PNG Board of Directors in partnership with NGC and PCGS adopted a definition of coin doctoring “to help combat the deliberative and unacceptable alteration of coins in an effort to deceive.” However, that definition subsequently was rejected by PNG members in January of this year.

“The PNG By-Laws provide the general membership with the opportunity to override decisions made by the Board. In this case, the membership voted overwhelmingly to keep the previous PNG Code of Ethics definition in place and not adopt a more-substantive new wording specifically about coin doctoring until the issue could be more clearly defined,” said PNG Executive Director Robert Brueggeman.

“We’re now working to get that clear definition and the consensus of the membership.”

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My uncle once said, "The best thing that can come out of a committee is the opinion of the weakest member".

I wish them well in their attempt(s). image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    A whole committee is going to be working on this, huh? Might work out well in the end, but
    it might also dissolve into wrangling over terminology. I'm skeptical. Prove me wrong, guys.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing wrong with that image best wishes to him
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see if Miss Sperber can get something done now that she's at bat.

She talks the talk..............

I do hope they can get this done. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a start.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very good news from my perspective. I had given this a fair amount of thought recently due, in part, to parties' inaction on this important area and about all that I concluded was that it was a complicated issue that needed more attention. I am glad that PNG appears to be giving it that needed attention. I also think the panel is a v. good one and I am happy that Laura Sperber is on it. Yes, there is a risk that this could devolve into nothing but it is worth that risk. Way to go PNG.

Tom

• Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    I hope it's a definition that I can agree with.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's see if Miss Sperber can get something done now that she's at bat.

I do hope they can get this done. image >>

Is Laura now a member of PNG and part of this committee?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is Laura now a member of PNG and part of this committee? >>

Non-PNG members can be on the committee. She's on the committee but I'm not sure if she's a PNG member or non-member.

It appears whatever definition the committee drafts still needs to be approved by the general membership.
  • Options
    I'm skeptical as to the utility of such an endeavor.

Kinda like trying to define "irony." It's hard to put your finger on a concrete definition, but you know what it is when you see it.
  • Options
    Then there's hope as irony is defined in many dictionaries.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Man...once again, you could offer people here free $100 bills and half would turn them down because "it just doesn't make sense."

Y'all scream bloody murder about the "crimes" by coin doctors but the FIRST time a serious endeavor is made to address the issue, there's doubts and naysayers? Man....life IS tough. image
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saintguru - I gotta agree with you.

Laura is not a PNG member, but she
    will be an important member of this
    committee.

As you mentioned, it sometimes seems
    that any 'hot topic' here, no matter how
    it's addressed, makes some folks un-happy.

There's a problem, there was an attempt
    to address it, and now it's being addressed
    once again by some very respected people
    in our industry and hobby.

EVERYONE should be glad that at least there
    is an attempt to define the problem's description.

At this point, there's no reason to be picky,
    dissapointed, or cynical.

Some of you guys can't simply be that unhappy
    and miserable on a day to day basis, can you?
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "industry acceptable"

For how long?

Who constitutes the "industry"?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I'm hopeful that there will be a good outcome.

The PNG, for its own future relevance, needs to take a stand against fake heads, artificial frost, lasering, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>"industry acceptable"

For how long?

Who constitutes the "industry"? >>

It would be good to get clarification on that but I'm guessing it would include the PNG general membership, PCGS and ATS.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm skeptical as to the utility of such an endeavor.

Kinda like trying to define "irony." It's hard to put your finger on a concrete definition, but you know what it is when you see it. >>

It's soooooo hard...image

GEEZ!!!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man...once again, you could offer people here free $100 bills and half would turn them down because "it just doesn't make sense."

Y'all scream bloody murder about the "crimes" by coin doctors but the FIRST time a serious endeavor is made to address the issue, there's doubts and naysayers? Man....life IS tough. image >>

I'm not saying people shouldn't fight coin doctoring, but exact definitions.... wow.

It is going to be tough in some cases.

tooling is an easy one. if it wasn't struck that way or received post strike damage that was modified with tools, then that's coin doctoring. You put tool to coin metal and move that metal... you're changing what was made. Seems simple.

Chemically altering a coins surface? a bit harder.

dipping off some ugly color could be ok, but where does one draw the line between a light dip and overdipped?

making a surgical chemical warfare strike on PVC? that's conservation.

making a surgical chemical strike on an ugly spot? i dunno?

Using chemicals to add color? Well..... knowing a dansco can tone coins or that old cardboard mint set inserts are not inert can alter coins.... how does that get differentiated from the ridiculously easy to spot eBay rainbow tone jobs we post here?? What verbiage will be used?

The best I can come up with is "know it when it is seen."

"intent" is certainly not going to get written in.

Anyway... good luck to them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish them luck! But as others have said, it will tough to get that many people to agree on something. I hope they impress us and get it done!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Seems like a start. >>

It is.

That's a good point.

A Start is something that should be celebrated, and I missed that point in my first pass(post).

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Yeah...I'm sure John Albanese knows nothing about all of those things. Come on!

• Options

<< <i>

Is Laura now a member of PNG and part of this committee? >>

You know.... I hate to say this....

but I hope she is on the committee, however I hope someone else does the written part. No insult to her, since my writing is often lacking as well.

>>>But I hope this doesn't turn into a flame fest on her. Continually poking at her writing is just beating a dead horse.
  • Options
    Once they get this "definition", will PNG forbid their members from dealing in doctored coins without full disclosure?

• Options

<< <i>As you mentioned, it sometimes seems
    that any 'hot topic' here, no matter how
    it's addressed, makes some folks un-happy.

:
    :
    :

EVERYONE should be glad that at least there
    is an attempt to define the problem's description.

At this point, there's no reason to be picky,
    dissapointed, or cynical.

Some of you guys can't simply be that unhappy
    and miserable on a day to day basis, can you? >>

Simple rules.

1. Can't please everyone.
    2. Can't write something that everyone understands.
    3. Being on the outside looking in, people will offer opinions about "what's wrong" no matter what you do (see 1 & 2). (hey, and everything can be improved upon, no?)

Expect it and you won't be disappointed.

But yes. I must re-iterate this is an excellent thing that they have started.

we can all say: finally, there is some movement where we've been wanting them to go.

and LS needs to go in there and emphatically give without hesistation what I'm sure will be golden ideas that she has in her head already.
  • Options

<< <i>Once they get this "definition", will PNG forbid their members from dealing in doctored coins without full disclosure? >>

this is why LS needs to emphatically state without hesitation what's on her mind.

I hope that is the least that she states.

• Options

<< <i>Once they get this "definition", will PNG forbid their members from dealing in doctored coins without full disclosure? >>

Theoretically, disclosure of doctored coins should be covered under rule 7 of the Code of Ethics already, but it seems more clarification is desired.
  • Options
    I applaud this effort!!!!! It's been a long time coming and I look forward to the fruits that this labor intensive process will yield.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options

<< <i>Man...once again, you could offer people here free $100 bills and half would turn them down because "it just doesn't make sense."

Y'all scream bloody murder about the "crimes" by coin doctors but the FIRST time a serious endeavor is made to address the issue, there's doubts and naysayers? Man....life IS tough. image >>

Not quite sure what your post is all about, since there were only two people (myself included) who expressed doubts at the time of your post. I've never been a person who loudly ranted against coin doctoring... I've always been quite passive on the issue. This is because I find the debates about coin doctoring to be totally useless.

While most people here could tell you that the hard-surfaced circ-cameo VF seated lib half that a random person may post is "original," probably 90% of the people here (or throughout the hobby) have little idea what a well-doctored coin looks like. And even people that know what they're doing have widely varying opinions of what is acceptable doctoring. So to define a problem, which 90% of the hobby cannot identify, and which the remaining 10% has differing opinions as to how problematic it actually is, seems a little futile to me. Yes, there are methods that obviously fit the moniker of "doctoring," such as whizzing, but these are methods that are already universally agreed upon as bad.

And this is the "FIRST" effort? The grading services have been trying to effectively define and combat doctoring for twenty years.
  • Options

Many experts may not be able to spot expertly doctored coins, so "full disclosure" as the dealer thinks it may not actually be the truth.
  • Options
    I said FIRST serious endeavor. If you think kthat any previous effort has had anything more than a minor impact if any, I would disagree.

This is the first real start.
  • Options

<< <i>

Many experts may not be able to spot expertly doctored coins, so "full disclosure" as the dealer thinks it may not actually be the truth. >>

True, and "wow! I didn't catch that." are going to be popular phrases in the future.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Many experts may not be able to spot expertly doctored coins, so "full disclosure" as the dealer thinks it may not actually be the truth. >>

True, and "wow! I didn't catch that." are going to be popular phrases in the future. >>

I should have said "......knowingly dealing in doctored coins without full disclosure". Obviously, if the doctoring is really well executed, the dealer may be unaware that it has been doctored.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that we don't wish them the best of luck. Just skeptical, that's all.

I for one would be very happy to be proven wrong. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is long overdue. Albanese is doing this because it is important to him. He is a knowledgeable independent party. Per Fred, Laura is part of the committee. Good.

The going won't be easy, but this is a start. As GoldenEye correctly stated, many knowledgeable people in the industry cannot spot an skillfully doctored coin. Perhaps this committee will enlighten many on this subject.

In a perfect world, the result of this committee's work will thrown the concept of "market acceptable" in the trash heap.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PNG is starting to seriously address this issue of coin doctoring......and they have the right guy to head the committee.....!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Laura!image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a start. To see Laura on board with the PNG (or is it the other way around) in this endeavor indicates a bit of a truce for now.
  • Options

<< <i>The PNG is the ideal organization to lead an unbiased charge against the unsavory tactics of coin doctors because the PNG stands at the forefront of numismatic integrity and leadership in the professional coin community.”
    >>

Anybody else find the humor in this rather self-serving statement?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the endeavor leads to a consensus that can be brought to term.

If this group can get the definition finalized hope it can also be adopted into the code of the ANA.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The PNG is the ideal organization to lead an unbiased charge against the unsavory tactics of coin doctors because the PNG stands at the forefront of numismatic integrity and leadership in the professional coin community.”
    >>

Anybody else find the humor in this rather self-serving statement? >>

I assumed he was being facetious. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a start. To see Laura on board with the PNG (or is it the other way around) in this endeavor indicates a bit of a truce for now. >>

It's going to get interesting to see who embraces who, and for how long.

Considering the number of doctored coins out there, it will be even more interesting to see what kinds of doctoring is deemed acceptable and what kinds are not.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I am just a collector, but how about we give them a chance and hope for a good result? It might be a difficult task, but I think there are some good and smart and experienced people on the committee (and it is worth noting some diverse viewpoints).

Maybe there is the potential for something significant to come about that injects some new confidence into our hobby. That's a good thing, right? image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the heat on, Ms. Sperber.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep an eye on Laura. If she bails then then my hopes bail. Until then best wishes to the group and good luck.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I welcome the attempts by PNG to address this issue, I think it's important to keep in mind that we wouldn't need to define doctoring if we could consistently identify doctored coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    The lack of consistency is the reason it is important to create an industry-accepted definition.

The same way TPGs have reduced inconsistencies with grading, hopefully the PNG's efforts here will reduce inconsistencies with doctoring.

Some have expressed the opinion that TPGs are not needed; however, on the balance, they seem to help rather than hinder the hobby. Hopefully the PNG will be the same here.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good thing about widgets image

... well nevermind. High 5's to the upper echelon for their dilgence in this matter.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a positive for our hobby,and long overdue.Kudos to those serving on this newly formed organization.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Anybody else find the humor in this rather self-serving statement? >>

I assumed he was being facetious. MJ >>

.......or sarcastic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file