Home Precious Metals
Options

Are these coins worth grading?

I just bought a sealed box of 25 2007-W ASE's from someone and the box is First Strike eligible. I got them for about spot price. Now the question is do I send them to PCGS to grade them? Their pricing structure seems a bit complex, but it looks like I'd have to pay about $30 for each coin in addition to a membership to be able to submit the coins. The 70's seem to go for around 100 but of course the 68s or 69s for much less.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    A sealed box of 25? Are they proofs?

I wouldn't grade them myself. Half would need to be 70s to justify the cost.
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Half would need to be 70s to justify the cost. >>

yup

<< <i>it looks like I'd have to pay about $30 for each coin in addition to a membership to be able to submit the coins >>

the new 'online submission' is the way to go if ya ask me... no membership bs, just a simple submission
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Just buy more bullion with all that money you would throw at them in attempts to get a magical MS70 grade. Even if you can get a few into 70 plastic, it won't be worth the money, let alone the time and hassle.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe your cost would be slightly higher than $30 per coin.....( $14 modern service + $18 first strike +$8 service fee per lot..+ return postage fee $29.95...your cost to mail them? closer ..like $34 per coin. total cost: approx: $850 to have graded.
    PCGS FS MS70 are selling anywhere from $100 - $150
    PCGS FS MS 69 are averaging approx $55

Do you feel lucky? If so, send them in for grading. Keeping in mind, you are dealing basically with a gov't sanctioned bullion round.
    Personally, I would only purchase the bullion version by the roll @ of no more than $3 - $3.50 above spot per ASE.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I did ok buying them for $44 per coin but wouldn't be worth the grading. Thanks!