Home Precious Metals
Options

Is there a small premium on 90% proofs?

BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
I recently won an auction of several dimes on ebay dated 1962-64. The photos weren't the best but the seller had a good ebay record. When I got the dimes the other day I noticed they were all proofs. Everyone of them looked to be in PR66 condition range with a cam or two mixed in. Do these carry anything over spot? Thanks

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have enough of them to sell as a mixed date partial roll, I don't know how much of a premium you can expect. Looking at the prices of Proof 90% rolls that I track on ebay, a roll of '60s Proof Dimes usually garners a premium of maybe 10%, but sometimes not. I think it just depends on the day and the particular buyer involved.

They ARE pretty though, aren't they?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    If you define small premium as 10% or less, then yes you can often sell them for a small premium.

Franklin proofs from the late 50's and early 60's are common as can be but still are very desireable in gem proof condition.

Washingtons and Roosies less so...............
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they were very pretty and I could tell the moment I opened them that they were proofs. image 29 total. Tempted to pick up 21 more and just make a roll. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    with the price of silver at this high of a price, proofs go for right about melt while normal 90% go for slightly below melt. I would say that franklin proofs go for above melt and sell fairly easily.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Yes, these can carry a big premium depending on their condition... and I certainly hope you are not putting them in a "roll" and are keeping them in some sort of protective holder. If you have high grade proofs and cameos they can be worth considerably more.

At one time I had the #1 Registry set for silver proof Washingtons 1936-64 including the five dates that had PR70s.

While I don't collect proof coins anymore I suggest that you have someone honest check them for you for grade, and cameo or even deep cameo status. You might have gotten lucky and bought from someone who didn't know what they were selling. In a recession, people do that.