Home Precious Metals
Options

Question on storage of eagles

Any suggestions for the best way to store Gold Eagles and Silver Eagles? Vinyl flips? Airtite containers? Mint Tubes? Looking for storage for 1 year or more. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Absolutely no vinyl flips,especially for silver.
    I like the airtites because they better preserve the coins (I don't own many coins though).
    Plastic tube are the best in terms of space saving.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not put any coins anywhere in the same vicinity of vinyl or pvc.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My choice in order of preference: Mint capsule, Original mint tube, air-tite capsule, non-vinyl flip. All of these should be stored in a humidity controlled environment.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Thanks everyone! One more question on airtite capsules. Does it make a difference if I get direct fit versus the ones with the black rings? Thanks!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've stored ASE's...the more expensive bullion ones, in Intercept shield holders, but the more common ones, in tubes or direct fit holders...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>Thanks everyone! One more question on airtite capsules. Does it make a difference if I get direct fit versus the ones with the black rings? Thanks! >>

Some rings are made with foam some other with a sort of velvet. They should be both inert, though.
    I prefer the direct fit because they bring more light when looking at the coin. JMO.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My choice in order of preference: Mint capsule, Original mint tube, air-tite capsule, non-vinyl flip. All of these should be stored in a humidity controlled environment. >>

image mint tubes or tubes take less space as well.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy any quantity of direct fits from valleycoin.com. They also sell small quantities via ebay.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>buy quantity direct fits from valleycoin.com. They also sell small quantities via ebay. >>

Good source...I've purchased from them before also.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I store my silver eagle collection in Lighthouse coin capsules placed in Lighthouse coin boxes. There not cheap, but are really nice quality coin storage systems.

-Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    I've got mine in plastic capsules, some airtite, some just generics, in a cigar box. image
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Dig deep... use a backhoe.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duh, pirate chest.