Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1987 silver panda

is this a good deal at $72? almost all of the spots are on the plastic.

Comments

• Its a steal at $72. That coin is worth $300-$500.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks. all my research confirms what you're telling me...but i asked about it here because usually when something appears too good to be true it is...but not in this case!

so, my next question is do you think it's worth more in its current state...or slabbed?
  • I'd leave it as is. There are fewer and fewer left in original packaging as people get these certified. I predict in the future, serious collectors will prefer the original packaging.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are these so popular making these trade over bullion?
    @zohar
    this one has a mintage of 31,000, and the surviving population is less than that...so that's the scarcity. the demand comes from the design, i assume. the panda design is different each year and i guess collector's want to get complete sets with each different design. other than that i can't think of a reason.

@gecko109
    thanks for your advice. time will tell...but i think you are right and I am going to leave it as is.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You kinda suck.

• << <i>I'd leave it as is. There are fewer and fewer left in original packaging as people get these certified. I predict in the future, serious collectors will prefer the original packaging. >>

Is that original packing? It looks like PVC laden plastic to me.

If the plastic is soft, I would take it out now and put it in something less likely to damage the coin over time.
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd leave it as is. There are fewer and fewer left in original packaging as people get these certified. I predict in the future, serious collectors will prefer the original packaging. >>

Is that original packing? It looks like PVC laden plastic to me.

If the plastic is soft, I would take it out now and put it in something less likely to damage the coin over time. >>

Yes, it is the original packaging. The coin is in a hard capsule which is inside a soft mylar pouch. Its been 25 years since that coin was made. If it has not "soured" yet....it probably wont anytime soon.
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Why are these so popular making these trade over bullion? >>

As Steve said, the mintage of this coin is about the same as a 1995-W ASE....and that coin is worth about $2500!

But the really remarkable thing is that the 1987 silver proof panda is not even among the top 10 lowest mintages in the series! The 1983,84, and 85 all have mintages of 10,000. And the 1994, 95, and 96 are UNDER 10,000!

The panda series....both gold and silver....are very hot right now. More than 90% of all the "earlier" pandas made were exported...mostly to the U.S. As many new millionaires are made each day in the quickly growing Chinese economy, demand for these coins has skyrocketed. These coins seem to be migrating back to their homeland....at huge profits to those who bought them just a few years ago even.

A youtube vid I made a few years ago of my silver panda proof collection....enjoy!

<< <i>You kinda suck. >>

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Beware! It's probably a Chinese product...oh, it's a Chinese Panda. image
    (I know this response in not PC, but with all the Chinese counterfeit products around, I thought my response would be cute, especially with the great price you're getting.)
    Paul
    ...with all the Chinese counterfeit products around, I thought my response would be cute, especially with the great price you're getting.

yeah, i used several different hallmarks to authenticate it. i was thinking the same thing...but it's authentic. the coin shop just didn't do the research when they priced it, apparently. i feel sorry for the person who sold it to them. they probably got less than spot for it.