Home Metal Detecting
Options

Watch out where you detect

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Going to Yellowstone and was going to take my detector for along the way (Washington State, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming) with the understanding that National Parks are usually off limits.
Looking up a few things and found it interesting that one could even be cited in Wyoming I think it was, with a MD even in the car, unused, just laying there.

Gotta be careful. Now, not sure if I will take it or not.....not sure what they may be along the way (I-90)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron,
    I have only found legislation against MD's on archaeological sites or National/State parks. If you are traveling on I-90 with an MD in the car, you should be fine. Alternatively, if you want more authoritative advice, I would call their State Police Headquarters. I have found this to be an excellent resource for information in other states.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MD's don't detect, only people detectimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,

Yes - the thing I was reading was to be in "protected areas" even with it in the vehicle....of course, if one is staying in a lodge in that area, on an extended driving trip, one can't just take a MD and then leave it off the properties willy nilly...even if one doesn't take it out, it technically breaks the law. I doubt anything would happen, but it still is weird.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hope you do find a place to detect. let us know if you find anything image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see your point Ron.... in the unlikely event it was seen, could be complications. Cheers, RickO