Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Farthings ...

After an extended absence from feeding my darkside habits ... I find myself once again on the trail of shiny little farthings figuring I would start with George VI and gradually work my way backwards as time and finances permit ... but ... it looks like inventory from Colin Cooke hasn't changed much in a while with regards to the dates I would like to rustle up next. Any suggestions on a good source for the little beasties would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    You might try Rob at http://www.rpcoins.co.uk/c16.html , if he doesn't have the dates in stock send him a want list.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sent some off to my photographer for Dimitri/SYRACUSIAN. When the photos were done, I edited them for him. (I'm a lousy photographer and still have to send stuff out, but I'm OK at editing photos.)

These were nice George V pieces, many of 'em pretty Red.

He had 'em on the Darkside BST, I believe. (They're back in his hands now.)

Ah, yes. Here they are. He has a link to the folder with all the pictures of the entire lot. PM him to see which if any are still available, if you like.

PS- I just discovered a dusty box I thought was empty, a few minutes ago. It was full! There's even a little bit of small silver in there. Nothing earthshaking, but it's always fun to find forgotten coins. There's a BN UNC 1939 farthing in there, as it happens. (You mentioned wanting "shiny" ones, so I guess you're after Red UNCs, though, huh. Dimitri's were nice.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far ... looks like most of Dimitri's shiny red farthings have already been spoken for and Ron has a couple of what would be nice pieces except for carbon spots and a few dings.

Yeah ... kinda sorta mulling around a George VI Farthing registry set at this point ... thought it might be relatively simple, but so far it is not looking as easy as I thought. Perhaps I will just stick to tracking down British pieces that I find interesting when not severely distracted by German Empire stuff ca 1890s to 1917 ... darn that constant struggle between the German, Irish, Welsh and English linage that I came from.

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the SSP Rob. image

<< <i>looks like most of Dimitri's shiny red farthings have already been spoken for >>

That might not be entirely correct, but the essence is that everything remaining is dirt, but dirt cheap I'm telling you. image

Just a small piece of info: almost all the remaining farthings that I have below in my sig, are from Colin Cooke's shop.
    The lack of images in that site unless a piece costs above £60-£70 makes it a gamble to buy whatever is not BU Full luster and then some.

I actually had some money and plenty of time back then, so out of curiosity, I reordered 3-4 dates, dupes, just to see what I'd end up with. Same stuff.

My suggestion is to open your eyes wide, synchronize your PC or Mac to watch whatever is listed on ebay.co.uk as well as ebay.com on "farthings, Geo VI, and Geo V"
    and try the old ebay route that might, just might, bring you even one shiny full red gem for a fraction of CC's prices. The pleasure is in the search, right? image

PS: Rob, could you pls leave these images on photobucket for another six months or so? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3