Home Precious Metals

Dow - Death Cross

SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
Have you guys spotted the Dow Deathcross?

Dow - Deathcross
Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these names, Death Cross, Cup with Handle, Pennant, Jupiter Rising in the East..

Hey, there's a Pendulum Hang-Down just spotted on the chart! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love these names, Death Cross, Cup with Handle, Pennant, Jupiter Rising in the East..

Hey, there's a Pendulum Hang-Down just spotted on the chart! image >>

Yes, but it is expected to rise just before closing Friday. image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think we'll witness a blow-off as the mania climaxes?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't even read the article...charts and graphs of stocks and commodities only show one thing...past performance...in no way, shape, or form can they accurately predict future rises or falls...and that is a stone cold fact.

• << <i>Didn't even read the article...charts and graphs of stocks and commodities only show one thing...past performance...in no way, shape, or form can they accurately predict future rises or falls...and that is a stone cold fact. >>

Except when belief in those past performances drives people to take actions that result in the pattern repeating. I think technical analysis is a self-feeding beast at this point.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the FED doesn't get the word to the markets in some fashion that it's going to restate the "juice" then that cross just might play out. Markets seem to be at the edge of the cliff.

I follow the "death crosses" in miners and have found that most of them identify bottoms much more often than tops.

Come on Ben, give 'em the juice!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Death Cross - Is that the opposite of the Golden Cross?

Scary stuff, pass the popcorn

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gonna take a bunch of QE3 to reverse that. I can hear the screaming at Jackson Hole all the way from here.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's gonna take a bunch of QE3 to reverse that. I can hear the screaming at Jackson Hole all the way from here. >>

I'm much closer comrade. I can smell 'em and it's not good.

Early market action doesn't like it either.
  • No but I did hear the J-hole amulet.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J6P here....

and just looking at the chart, does it show the 50 moving average is now lower than the 200 day moving average?

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    DNA,

When the 50 day moving average crosses the 200 day to the down side it's a death cross. If the 50 day average crosses the 200 day average to the upside it's a golden cross.

I will back the chart up, it's better to see the trend. You should really pull a 4 years chart. Can someone post a 4 year chart with 50 & 200 moving averages?

Chart

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Death Cross - Is that the opposite of the Golden Cross?

Scary stuff, pass the popcorn >>

yes its the same one as the governments health insurance
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The meaning behind moving averages depends on the market. Have to know the market.
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Laugh all you want about technical analysis, but I called it right about the break out of gold at 980.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't even read the article...charts and graphs of stocks and commodities only show one thing...past performance...in no way, shape, or form can they accurately predict future rises or falls...and that is a stone cold fact. >>

I'll disagree with that 1 million percent. But what do I know. image

I follow the "death crosses" in miners and have found that most of them identify bottoms much more often than tops.

Roadrunner, it is very important to note the general direction of the 200dma when these "crosses" occur. If the 200dma is trending up, it is often a buying point. If the 200dma is sideways, then be prepared for whiplash. If the 200dma is trending lower, then "death" is likely to occur. Currently the 200dma is trending more sideways than anything else.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>"This is the Precious Metals forum, not the Whining Forum. I do not see a single reference to PMs of any kind".
    -Morgansforever >>

I see several posts that reference gold, miners, and commodities. Are those totally unrelated to the price of gold? TA and charting is very applicable to the
    price of gold. And in many cases the short, intermediate, and long term action in the S&P as well as various commodities, currencies, interest rates, money
    flows, etc. is very relevant to how gold reacts. To ignore these factors is folly. A serious discussion on future movements of gold can be had without even
    talking about gold. We can have a gold forum that only discusses the current price of gold as well as objects made of gold and gold coins, but it would a pretty
    boring and useless forum. Probably 90% of what is discussed on this forum is not precisely PM's related yet is important in the overall view. It would have been
    like trying to determine where gold was going in 2004 while ignoring the growing derivatives, housing, TBond, and banking bubbles.

Thanks for that tip reminder cohodk, I'll have to remember that. And you've probably mentioned it to me before as well.

roadrunner
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Not disagreeing with you, RR. But note the comment is a copy-and-paste from another thread, not an original.

<< <i>Not disagreeing with you, RR. But note the comment is a copy-and-paste from another thread, not an original. >>

OK. Looks like I was an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire.

roadrunner
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Didn't even read the article...charts and graphs of stocks and commodities only show one thing...past performance...in no way, shape, or form can they accurately predict future rises or falls...and that is a stone cold fact. >>

I'll disagree with that 1 million percent. But what do I know. image

Roadrunner, it is very important to note the general direction of the 200dma when these "crosses" occur. If the 200dma is trending up, it is often a buying point. If the 200dma is sideways, then be prepared for whiplash. If the 200dma is trending lower, then "death" is likely to occur. Currently the 200dma is trending more sideways than anything else. >>

///

I agree with that assessment. I remember the same thing happening after the 2007 peek and by Jan 2008 all three Dow indices crossed. We may have a rally after a dismal month and then we will see the 200dma bend negatively. If we sink then, we're done for a while.
    The problem with the "bending" 200 moving average is by the time it "bends" you are already down 2000 points!

Spooly's risk-o-meter says its best to stand a side and see whats happens. Protection of capital is always number one.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with the "bending" 200 moving average is by the time it "bends" you are already down 2000 points!

Spooly's risk-o-meter says its best to stand a side and see whats happens. Protection of capital is always number one. >>

Very true. Cash and liquidity is ALWAYS #1.

I will add that the 200 week moving average is, and has been for 2 years, trending lower.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

My Scottrade Charts clearly show a bending down 200 day moving avg.