Home Precious Metals
Options

Here we go again with the suddenly, "I don't have anything to sell" line :-(

Once again, because the metals are tanking, local B&M's are making the claim that they don't have any product to sell, but when I was at the same ones just Monday, they were LOADED with anything I wanted and in fact, pressuring me a bit to buy some. Did they know, did they feel a 2 day 13% tank was just around the corner?
I couldn't help lmao at them today with their pretend puppydog faces on "claiming" that they were out. I guess they have the right to do what they want with what they own, but I swear it's like clockwork lol.
Plenty to sell on the rise, nothing on the tank. lmao!
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pulling inventory when price drops only increases demand. Helps bring prices back up. Be thankful.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    pulling inventory when price drops only increases demand. Helps bring prices back up. Be thankful.

Whatever it takes to make a buck I guess, but honesty would go alot further with me. I'd rather them say, you know what Rich...with it tanking like this, I just can't sell you any right now. Rather than a bald faced lie.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Ever see "Groundhog Day"?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they loaned it out 100:1 and Chavez wants it back.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    B&Ms around here have plenty, and the premiums are the same as last week. And the week before. And in May.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i am buying lock stock and barrel @$500 an ounce: i found gecko's genie!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once again, because the metals are tanking, local B&M's are making the claim that they don't have any product to sell, but when I was at the same ones just Monday, they were LOADED with anything I wanted and in fact, pressuring me a bit to buy some. Did they know, did they feel a 2 day 13% tank was just around the corner?
    I couldn't help lmao at them today with their pretend puppydog faces on "claiming" that they were out. I guess they have the right to do what they want with what they own, but I swear it's like clockwork lol.
    Plenty to sell on the rise, nothing on the tank. lmao! >>

Let's see if I can explain it to you one more time.

You went in to buy the dip.

Other people had the same idea.

They went into the store before you.

There was nothing left for you.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Have notice premiums increasing at online dealers. Apmex at $93 over for a 1oz now.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Once again, because the metals are tanking, local B&M's are making the claim that they don't have any product to sell, but when I was at the same ones just Monday, they were LOADED with anything I wanted and in fact, pressuring me a bit to buy some. Did they know, did they feel a 2 day 13% tank was just around the corner?

Let's see if I can explain it to you one more time.

There was nothing left for you. >>

Same as it ever was. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible he is sold out. It's just as possible he's holding back his PM inventory until there is a price rebound. In any event, he doesn't have anything to sell you this week. Time to look for a new source of PM's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's possible he is sold out. It's just as possible he's holding back his PM inventory until there is a price rebound. In any event, he doesn't have anything to sell you this week. Time to look for a new source of PM's. >>

Exactly. And be willing to pay a much higher premium for the product. You're experienced enough by now; quit belly-aching and wise up. Don't expect him to sell to you at a huge discount just because the banksters have fixed the paper market prices. Be a bit more realistic.

"Metals are tanking..." NOT. Fixed paper prices are temporarily tanking. Go buy the paper if you want the lower prices.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    <<Let's see if I can explain it to you one more time.

There was nothing left for you>>

Let's see if I can tell you that you are wrong again. Yes I can, you're wrong. You weren't with me on the Monday visit, or the Wednesday one, or were you? If you were, you would've been able to see the stuff sitting on the floor behind the counter, or in the safe right there in plain sight LIKE I DID!, but was told (lied to) that they didn't have any product.
    I think I covered it in my first post, they can do what they want to, but lying about what they have and dont have speaks volumes as to what kind of people they (generally) are. Like I said in the 1st reply...just tell me that with the metals tanking they have to hold onto it til it comes back a bit before they can sell it, dont tell me you dont have it when I point to it and say, what's that?

Exactly. And be willing to pay a much higher premium for the product. You're experienced enough by now; quit belly-aching and wise up. Don't expect him to sell to you at a huge discount just because the banksters have fixed the paper market prices. Be a bit more realistic.

Again, were you there? NO, you weren't. You are once again assuming what happened and reading things inot my original post and replies that clearly are not there. I didn't even get a chance to make an offer because again, I was told (lied to) that there wasn't any to buy when I saw plenty of it laying out in plain sight. I pointed to it and said, what's that? One of them said in a smart arse tone, that's what I can't sell. Gimme a break. I didnt even get a chance to make an offer.
  • Options
    but lying about what they have and dont have speaks volumes as to what kind of people they (generally) are.

Then why do you continue to do business with them, especially if they continue this same pattern of behavior?

You want metal? Tell me how much you are willing to spend and I can mail you all you want by COB today.image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 10 oz. I will sell you at $1,950/oz. Offer good for the next 10 minutes.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offer expired.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Let's see if I can explain it to you one more time.

Let's see if I can tell you that you are wrong again. Yes I can, you're wrong. You weren't with me on the Monday visit, or the Wednesday one, or were you? If you were, you would've been able to see the stuff sitting on the floor behind the counter, or in the safe right there in plain sight LIKE I DID!, but was told (lied to) that they didn't have any product.
    I think I covered it in my first post, they can do what they want to, but lying about what they have and dont have speaks volumes as to what kind of people they (generally) are. Like I said in the 1st reply...just tell me that with the metals tanking they have to hold onto it til it comes back a bit before they can sell it, dont tell me you dont have it when I point to it and say, what's that?

Again, were you there? NO, you weren't. Sorry, I don't need to have been there to respond You are once again assuming what happened and reading things inot my original post and replies that clearly are not there. I wasn't assuming anything, just trying to help you "read between the lines" of what the seller was saying.I didn't even get a chance to make an offer because again, I was told (lied to) that there wasn't any to buy THERE'S your answer! Why can't you take it at face value? There was no silver FOR SALE, not no silver in the store. He had no silver FOR SALE! when I saw plenty of it laying out in plain sight. I pointed to it and said, what's that? One of them said in a smart arse tone, that's what I can't sell. See, there you go. Gimme a break. I didnt even get a chance to make an offer. >>

Have a little respect for their wishes. It's there product. And their smart a$$ tone might have been used in your presence because they have some experience working with you, and wanted to save themselves some aggravation by simply telling you their stock wasn't for sale, but I'm confident they would have and would still sell it at a higher price or premium - call it what you want. They have the right to withdraw product from the market when the banksters clearly are wreaking havoc with the market. Don't expect them to go along with the bankster's paper games. If you're so interested in getting something for the paper price, go buy paper, like I said. For real silver, you're going to have to pay real silver prices, like it or not. Have a nice day, sir!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

I will not jump on you as I understand your disappointment.

We have several B&Ms in our area. I use to spend hundreds every week in at least two of them purchasing 90% and bars. Both B&M buy and sell prices are very fair so I liked visiting each.

The one that advertises heavily that they are buying gold and silver (again at a very good price) would always pull their inventory when pm prices took a hit. They simply did not want to take the loss. I can respect that but I stopped going to their store because I was not sure if they would be selling that day or not.

The other retailer sold no matter what the price of silver or gold was. He would adjust his prices accordingly up or down. I know that when I see him every week, I can make a purchase. As I believe in dollar cost averaging every week, I want a retailer who will sell to me know matter what the price of gold or silver happens to be.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    if they would have offered you 90% at 31x or 32x face would you have bought?

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you believe the dealers keeps lying to you why on earth do you keep going in his shop? Just move on.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a seller at 31x face and a buyer at 26x face. When silver is up my BST says FSH. When silver is down I change it to WTB. image
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I'll go one further.Looked at a few big online metals dealers today.Many of them have gold buffalos for example listed with the dreaded "item not available". That drives me crazy. image
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's possible he is sold out. It's just as possible he's holding back his PM inventory until there is a price rebound. In any event, he doesn't have anything to sell you this week. Time to look for a new source of PM's. >>

Or is current inventory was purchased while the prices were higher and he doesn't want to lose money selling right now. If he has enough reserves, he can sit on his PM's hoping the price goes back up.

I was looking a eBay last night and the price drop doesn't seem like it had much, if any effect on the BIN prices. A couple nights ago, a guy had a 10oz Silvertowne bar for $50 more than what I buy it directly from SilverTowne. It was a BIN or make offer. I made an offer a little higher than SilverTowne price (but less if you consider eBay bucks) and told him I could get it cheaper direct with free shipping. He refused my offer even though I told him silver was going to drop the next day.

That was Monday night. He ended up taking a price less than what I offered him and right now I am glad he refused my offer.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks who get mad at the coin shops when the proprietor says, "no, no, no,"
    should ask themselves:

"Would I sell my metal for less than I paid for it?"

Coin shops have NO obligation to be "market makers."

GLD and SLV are always available at the online brokers,
    if folks want guaranteed buy/sell action.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have dealt with my much trusted B&M for years now and never has he throttled his supply.

He, like others, complains of the violent and unpredictable swings in PM prices; yet, he remains predictable and reliable for me.

I appreciate there is more than a few dealers in my area and through years of trial and error, I have found in my dealer the highest level on integrity.

He expects the same from me.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    In theory good dealers should always have inventory available, no matter what the spot price does. If they are hedging and managing their money properly there should be no need to hold back inventory. I could see a dealer losing out on a lot of future business if they get into the habit of holding back stock, since when people come to their store and see nothing for sale, they'll be less likely to come back next time.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    "In theory good dealers should always have inventory available, no matter what the spot price does."

Should good dealers always have every coin in every grade available?

But, to answer your question, if someone walks into the shop and buys ever oz of silver he has for sale one hour before you get there, how is he suppose to have inventory available for you? Should he have held some back? No, he can't do that according to you.

On the other hand, did you offer him $5 over spot for anything he may have laying around in the backroom? Say he sold everything he had at $40 oz and someone came in a few days later and sold to him when spot was $44 an oz. Now, you walk in and spot has dropped to $41. He is selling his current inventory for $46 an oz., you would be on here screaming about how your local guy is trying to gouge you when he is only trying to make a profit and say in business.

Look at APMEX a while back. They suspended all sales over the weekend and everyone here thought that was a prudent move on their part because of the uncertainty in the market. How is this different?
  • Options
    Sometimes one of my regular customers will phone in an order. This is especially common on days where the price drops a lot. I go into the showroom, pull the merchandise out and place it on the floor behind the counter(silver) or on the desk(gold). When my regular comes in his metal is waiting for him on the agreed on price, whether the market has gone up or down since then. Another customer coming in might see the metal on the floor or desk and think I am holding it back when I have actually already pledged it to someone else. First come(or call), first served is the only fair way to do business. I have been doing it this way for the 15 years I have been in business and my Father has been doing it for almost 50 years. People keep coming back so they must like it this way.

• Options

<< <i>Sometimes one of my regular customers will phone in an order. This is especially common on days where the price drops a lot. I go into the showroom, pull the merchandise out and place it on the floor behind the counter(silver) or on the desk(gold). When my regular comes in his metal is waiting for him on the agreed on price, whether the market has gone up or down since then. Another customer coming in might see the metal on the floor or desk and think I am holding it back when I have actually already pledged it to someone else. First come(or call), first served is the only fair way to do business. I have been doing it this way for the 15 years I have been in business and my Father has been doing it for almost 50 years. People keep coming back so they must like it this way. >>

Sound like a very honest way to run your business to me though I would be tempted to just keep the sold stuff out of sight.

• Options

<< <i>"In theory good dealers should always have inventory available, no matter what the spot price does."

Should good dealers always have every coin in every grade available?

But, to answer your question, if someone walks into the shop and buys ever oz of silver he has for sale one hour before you get there, how is he suppose to have inventory available for you? Should he have held some back? No, he can't do that according to you.

On the other hand, did you offer him $5 over spot for anything he may have laying around in the backroom? Say he sold everything he had at $40 oz and someone came in a few days later and sold to him when spot was $44 an oz. Now, you walk in and spot has dropped to $41. He is selling his current inventory for $46 an oz., you would be on here screaming about how your local guy is trying to gouge you when he is only trying to make a profit and say in business.

Look at APMEX a while back. They suspended all sales over the weekend and everyone here thought that was a prudent move on their part because of the uncertainty in the market. How is this different? >>

Your graded coins comment/question isn't relevant.

I was speaking about dealers who put away inventory when the spot price dips. It's obvious that if they actually have no silver, that they can't sell any. Unless they are JPMorgan/etc.

There are easy ways for a dealer to hedge both their purchases and sales to offset changes in spot price. The result is making money on the buy-sell spread/premium, rather than relying on increases in the spot price. If a dealer is relying on spot to go up (or even stay constant) to make their profit, that can be a major flaw in their business model.

They can charge whatever premium they wish, it's a free market. I've long ago come to terms that my B&Ms charge much too high of premiums for my liking, but that is their prerogative. They can do what they must (raise premiums, hold back inventory, etc), but it's not without consequences.

And yes, APMEX did do that. It is very rare for a large dealer to do so. I suspect it probably had to do with their inability to properly hedge a probable change in inventory while the Asian markets were open Sunday night, but the Western markets were not. Still, it causes them to lose business as people look elsewhere for their bullion. It wouldn't take too many days of being "closed" for people to change their go to bullion dealer.

Case in point, I was a loyal APMEX customer for quite a while, until the day they upped their premiums hugely on smaller (<500 oz) orders. I looked elsewhere, and now am very happy with the new places I have found. I can't foresee ordering from Apmex any time in the near future. It doesn't take much of a change or wrench in the gears of a finicky market like bullion for people to take their business elsewhere.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Let's see if I can explain it to you one more time.

Again, were you there? NO, you weren't. You are once again assuming what happened and reading things inot my original post and replies that clearly are not there. I didn't even get a chance to make an offer because again, I was told (lied to) that there wasn't any to buy when I saw plenty of it laying out in plain sight. I pointed to it and said, what's that? One of them said in a smart arse tone, that's what I can't sell. Gimme a break. I didnt even get a chance to make an offer. >>

Well I did a check of listings and other than your TT on Monday I dont see YOU selling anything on the dip or at reduced prices!!!! So with that I'll answer yor question as to why they say that to you.. .. my best guess is it must be you. Plenty for sale at my BM even to me.image
  • Options

<< <i> Well I did a check of listings and other than your TT on Monday I dont see YOU selling anything on the dip or at reduced prices!!!! So with that I'll answer yor question as to why they say that to you.. .. my best guess is it must be you. Plenty for sale at my BM even to me.image >>

Not really sure what you are talking about. For the most part I deal locally and I am selling my .999 silver at the same premiums as last week, the week before, and the week before that...
  • Options

<< <i>Case in point, I was a loyal APMEX customer for quite a while, until the day they upped their premiums hugely on smaller (<500 oz) orders. I looked elsewhere, and now am very happy with the new places I have found. I can't foresee ordering from Apmex any time in the near future. It doesn't take much of a change or wrench in the gears of a finicky market like bullion for people to take their business elsewhere. >>

I notice they haven't shut their doors yet. image

<< <i>They can charge whatever premium they wish, it's a free market. I've long ago come to terms that my B&Ms charge much too high of premiums for my liking, but that is their prerogative. They can do what they must (raise premiums, hold back inventory, etc), but it's not without consequences. >>

<< <i>Not really sure what you are talking about. For the most part I deal locally and I am selling my .999 silver at the same premiums as last week, the week before, and the week before that... >>

Hum, you don't buy from your local B&M stores but sell at a premium to???????????????? If you are selling to your local B&M store at a premium, no wonder they are selling at a higher premium.
  • Options
    Well I did a check of listings and other than your TT on Monday I dont see YOU selling anything on the dip or at reduced prices!!!! So with that I'll answer yor question as to why they say that to you.. .. my best guess is it must be you. Plenty for sale at my BM even to me.image >>

You nailed it Metalsman.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i> Well I did a check of listings and other than your TT on Monday I dont see YOU selling anything on the dip or at reduced prices!!!! So with that I'll answer yor question as to why they say that to you.. .. my best guess is it must be you. Plenty for sale at my BM even to me.image >>

Not really sure what you are talking about. For the most part I deal locally and I am selling my .999 silver at the same premiums as last week, the week before, and the week before that... >>

Metalsman wasnt even addressing you....unless you and "piecesofme" are the same person that is.
  • Options

<< <i>Metalsman wasnt even addressing you....unless you and "piecesofme" are the same person that is. >>

Ah my bad. No we aren't the same person. The quoting system on these boards is infinitely confusing image
  • Options
    I refuse to continue to reply to this thread about things that I clearly stated, yet someone who apparently doesn't read whole postings continues to exagerate and distort what I said. I think there's a word for that that starts with a t and ends with a l.

I amaze myself continuing to chat here, thinking that people will get the point of what I say here, not read things into what was not said, or implied, and then continue to rant over something that I didn't come close to saying. It really is amazing how people read what they think is being said, but in fact, it is totally off base from the point.
    Interpretation is a biyitch, esp. here. Oh well...not like I didn't know that, but it amazes me that I continue to think people will be real here.

Have fun picking apart something that just isn't there, except for in your mind(s).

p.s.
    The reason I didn't lower my prices or bump my BST thread is because IT WAS ALL SOLD! A satisfied customer bumped the thread to say that they were very happy with my product, service & delivery. I was / am down with it because it's all sold LMAO!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Well I did a check of listings and other than your TT on Monday I dont see YOU selling anything on the dip or at reduced prices!!!! So with that I'll answer yor question as to why they say that to you.. .. my best guess is it must be you. Plenty for sale at my BM even to me.image >>

You nailed it Metalsman. >>

IT WAS'NT VERY HARD TO SEE. THE OP HAS A PATTERN.
  • Options
    As do you, you only show up when you want to dispute something I say. It goes both ways Metalsman. Besides I answered your question in the thread JUST ABOVE YOURS. But that's right, you dont read the whole posting, do you? You only read what you THINK is being said, and then expound, inflate and distort what was actually said.
  • Options

<< <i>I refuse to continue to reply to this thread about things that I clearly stated, yet someone who apparently doesn't read whole postings continues to exagerate and distort what I said. I think there's a word for that that starts with a t and ends with a l.

I amaze myself continuing to chat here, thinking that people will get the point of what I say here, not read things into what was not said, or implied, and then continue to rant over something that I didn't come close to saying. It really is amazing how people read what they think is being said, but in fact, it is totally off base from the point.
    Interpretation is a biyitch, esp. here. Oh well...not like I didn't know that, but it amazes me that I continue to think people will be real here.

Have fun picking apart something that just isn't there, except for in your mind(s).

p.s.
    The reason I didn't lower my prices or bump my BST thread is because IT WAS ALL SOLD! A satisfied customer bumped the thread to say that they were very happy with my product, service & delivery. I was / am down with it because it's all sold LMAO!!!!! >>

Like I said.. I did'nt see you with any offers after the dip. NOW.

PLEASE READ THE FIRST SENTENCE OF YOUR POST HERE.....
  • Options
    Psalm 27 Verse 2-3

Good night.
  • Options
    I bet your B&M has some in stock todayimage
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt