Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who are the major modern gold dealers and...

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
at what premium are they pricing modern gold.......?

Stuff like Steinberg offers...

I heard the premiums are shrinking....is that true?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For world gold, Kent Froseth in Minneapolis and Ken Ferguson in Austin.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It was shrinking up until a couple of months ago, I was buying slabbed 65-66 Sov's, Riisters and Swiss 20 fr. for just 5-10% over melt. Now whenever I look on ebay at least the premiums over spot seemed to have increased. I don't know the other two dealers mentioned but have bought a couple from Steinbergs and always happy with the service.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you are buying 66 Roosters at 5% over melt- congrats- you are doing well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The 66's were Sov's, all the Roosters were 65's. But you can't get them for that the past couple of months. Last year no one wanted them, except me.
  • Options

<< <i>For world gold, Kent Froseth in Minneapolis and Ken Ferguson in Austin. >>

Before the ANA I offered nice slabbed modern to Steinberg, not "roosters" but stuff like Haiti gold, Egypt gold, britsh, jamaica, and other countries all slabbed and nice graded proof and MS....but common.

He declined......

At the ANA I offered same to Mr Froseth....he was not interested except back about .96 of spot........Ken Ferguson only interested in classics.

• Options

I kept many of these slabbed modern gold and bought more over the years .

Like this one: Egypt Land Reform mintage 250 I sold for $2000...and I think the buyer did well too.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironically, shrinking premiums lead to some coins getting melted, which eventually leads to higher premiums.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@JCMhouston said:
    It was shrinking up until a couple of months ago, I was buying slabbed 65-66 Sov's, Riisters and Swiss 20 fr. for just 5-10% over melt. Now whenever I look on ebay at least the premiums over spot seemed to have increased. I don't know the other two dealers mentioned but have bought a couple from Steinbergs and always happy with the service.

65 and 66 sovs for 5-10% over melt is extremely good. Must have been QEIIs, but still.

Not too crazy about Steinbergs, offered them a rare sov and he was extremely low - not even in the ballpark. Basically offered me melt for it.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:

@JCMhouston said:

65 and 66 sovs for 5-10% over melt is extremely good. Must have been QEIIs, but still.

Not too crazy about Steinbergs, offered them a rare sov and he was extremely low - not even in the ballpark. Basically offered me melt for it.

It was a different landscape 12 years ago too

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:

@Exbrit said:

@JCMhouston said:

It was a different landscape 12 years ago too

Modern gold doing very well ......premium or not !

• Options

Here in Germany many bullion grade old circulating coins (Sovereign, Vreneli, 20 Francs/ Lire France/ Belgium/ Italy, Double Eagle, Austrian 1 & 4 Dukat) are usually available at 2 - 5% over spot price as raw pieces in medium grades.
    Domestic ½ ounce Euro gold coins usually carry a very low premium of 1% maximum while pre 1915 20, 10 and especially 5 Mark coins are very sought after and usually carry a premium of at least 6 to 8%.
    A few days ago I was lucky enough to find a xf French 20 Francs 1814 A for a little under spot value at a reputable coin shop.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Göttinger said:
    Here in Germany many bullion grade old circulating coins (Sovereign, Vreneli, 20 Francs/ Lire France/ Belgium/ Italy, Double Eagle, Austrian 1 & 4 Dukat) are usually available at 2 - 5% over spot price as raw pieces in medium grades.
    Domestic ½ ounce Euro gold coins usually carry a very low premium of 1% maximum while pre 1915 20, 10 and especially 5 Mark coins are very sought after and usually carry a premium of at least 6 to 8%.
    A few days ago I was lucky enough to find a xf French 20 Francs 1814 A for a little under spot value at a reputable coin shop.

For very common issues, but not for the rare ones I bet.