Home Metal Detecting
Options

Has you detector ever given you a signal

on the sweep but when you try to go back for it, it doesn't sound off again? I was out yesterday for about 1/2 hour while my wife went to a store. The town was installing a handicap ramp on the sidewalk, a steep area from the street to the sidewalk. Lots of old earth disturbed there and by the time I got up to that area (I had started down the street aways) the little woman was back and impatient so I cruised the area really fast and got dozens of pings and mostly iron. I did however find 36 cents, clad and a zincoln.
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive gotton false signals before and didnt worry about it after a while. i did go back later on with a different detector and it was nothing. jmo & happy hunting image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had something similar except I get the ping in one direction and turn around and it's not there then I go the origional direction and it's there. It's usually a clad dime.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that works to image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... have had that happen.... once it was a thin piece of foil that I found after sifting the dirt.. was driving me nutso... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Coins don't always settle flat to the ground allowing a full scan of the surface and a healthy ping , ive always thought a coin on its edge would give that kind of signal described by the OP, but so do many other items as pointed out.