Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Big German gold medal.

This came in a collection. I sent it to NGC and they sent it back "ineligible type" meaning they couldnt identify it. Anyone know what it is or what its worth? It is 41.2 grams of 24K gold and the diamter is 43.5mm.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my area, but it was fun looking for it.

Here's what I found:

Ludwig VIII, German State of Hessen-Darmstadt. Engraver A. Schäffer (A.S.)

Didn't see one in gold, but here's on in silver with the following description from coincircuit.com:

<< <i>Ludwig VIII. 1739-1768. Medaillenförmiger Taler o.J. von A. Schäffer.
    Geharnischtes Brustbild mit Ordensband nach rechts / Fünffach behelmter Wappenschild.
    Hoffm. 3851 Anm. (als Reichstaler), Schütz 3050, Pr.Alex. -. 44,3 mm, 29,27 g
    sehr selten, kleine Kratzer und Randfehler, sehr schön Letztes Vorkommen: KPM-Auktion 25 (1983) Nr. 1247. >>

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!

Looks like 2K is barking up the right tree, as usual.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I wonder why NGC couldnt slab it.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, I wonder why NGC couldnt slab it. >>

No idea. Perhaps they don't have my googling skills?
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    TwoK,, I don't think those are the same medal, Note the chin, top hair and signature under the shoulder. That is not wear on the lions on the reverse either, that is physical damage, Odd looking for Gold!! IMHO the Gold one is a Cast piece and a reproduction or fake, since they do not list a Gold one. May I ask how you KNOW it is Gold. image
  • Options
    Did a rubbing on the edge and acid tested it. It came in the same collection as this medal:

NGC did slab this one.

• Options

<< <i>TwoK,, I don't think those are the same medal, Note the chin, top hair and signature under the shoulder. That is not wear on the lions on the reverse either, that is physical damage, Odd looking for Gold!! IMHO the Gold one is a Cast piece and a reproduction or fake, since they do not list a Gold one. May I ask how you KNOW it is Gold. image >>

I don't know, Boz. Just doesn't feel like a counterfeit or a reproduction to me for some reason.
  • Options
    They are also wearing different clothing. This is a different medal. I think mine is just very rare.
  • Options
    Wait, you guys, I didn't mean it's the same medal - just tried to point in the right direction with ruler / country / approx. year.
  • Options
    Gotcha. I need to find a German medal guru to sort this all out. Your pic is by far the closest thing ive seen.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    any more luck figuring it out? that thing's a beaut.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me. Same designer, at least same initials. 250 years ago, maybe they decided Louis should have a gold medal and they had already destroyed the silver die?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    keep us updated on what you find out!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.