Home Metal Detecting

PANAMA CITY BEACH

I am going on vacation to Panama City Beach...my question is will my ACE 250 work on this beach...or will I need a different detector? Thank You.

Comments

• laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    My experience with the 250 is dry sand only.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dry sand only.... you need a different MD for the salt water (where most of the good stuff is) or wet sand. Cheers, RickO
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I just ordered my first MD & got the 350 for that very reason. I'd read that it's better in wet sand than the 250, which was my first choice. Well, actually the AT Pro was my first choice but at double the 350 I couldn't justify it. I live in San Diego so needed something I could use at the surf that wasn't too pricey.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
    To MD in the wet sand and surf, you need a machine made for that activity. The White's Dual Surf PI machine is ideal. Cheers, RickO

Thanks for the tip, but at triple the cost of a 350 it's a little out of my price range. I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money, at least initially, until I find out if this hobby is for me. Don't want it to become expensive clutter in the closet. If things don't work out, I figure it would be a lot easier to unload a $300 machine over a $600-$900 one. It's not desire I'm concerned about - it's a health issue. Got severe arthritis in my back & knees. Don't really know if I'll be able to do this from a physical perspective. I'm retired now so thought I'd give it a try.

~ Vince Lombardi
    Good luck. A lot of retired people do this. You may find that after doing it a bit, the exercise helps your condition... not always, but it happens...Cheers, RickO

• << <i>Thanks for the tip, but at triple the cost of a 350 it's a little out of my price range. I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money, at least initially, until I find out if this hobby is for me. Don't want it to become expensive clutter in the closet. If things don't work out, I figure it would be a lot easier to unload a $300 machine over a $600-$900 one. It's not desire I'm concerned about - it's a health issue. Got severe arthritis in my back & knees. Don't really know if I'll be able to do this from a physical perspective. I'm retired now so thought I'd give it a try. >>

Swinging the coil is ok until you get a signal and have to get down on your hands and knees to dig. If that is a problem in your physical condition then it may not be for you. Just something to consider. Bring a 10 year old with you they get right into it and it is fun to have a companion along, that is if they ever stop talking.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Getting down won't be a problem. It's the getting up that's going to be a challenge. I should have had a knee replacement years ago but can't bring myself to do that. Maybe this will change my attitude about it. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    We used to go there as a kid...

Back in the 70s, I was playing a little 'buried treasure' game - I dug a hole in that beautiful powder white sand, and dropped in a bag containing about 30 of prized matchbox cars - covered them up with sand, and wrote an X on top. I turned my back for a few moments, and when I looked back, I could not find the X again - nor the cars!

If you find them, let me know!

I know three people who have had knee replacement surgery performed and all have said they should have done it sooner. They are very happy with the results. Cheers, RickO