Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Idea, what do you think? Pics Added!

Ok well heres the Idea

Im not too bad a painter, I can make a pretty decent B&W portrait from a photo, Ive done a few before, anyways What I went and did was look at the oldest living HOF baseball players and picked 2 names that I recognised being Stan Musial and Yogi Berra, anyways do you think it would be cool to try come up with a collection of hand painted paintings and then send them TTM to the players for signing, I would include another portrait for them to keep if they want, and would ask them to sign the picture and put 1/1.

1stly Do you think they would sign and return the pictures?

2ndly do you think they would actually be worth any money some day?

Do you think I should do it?

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea but I wouldn't ask them to write 1/1 on them. Isn't any original painting a 1/1 anyway? Get them for your own enjoyent. As far as value I wouldn't pay a large premium over a regular signed print but depending on your ability others might.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • ok yeah, thanks for that suggestion

Gonna try get started 2morow

Craig
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Bobby Doerr is the oldest living HOFer and very generous signing TTM to this day. You'd have the best luck with him
  • I believe Lee MacPhil is the oldest living HOR'er. Doerr is the oldeest living HOF Player. (If you actually consider Doerr a Hall of Famer)

Dave
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Yogi, I do not believe, will sign TTM unless you include the required fee along with your request.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Craig

Could you post a sample of your work?

Thanx.
    Mike
  • Yogi does sign. Send to his meuseum, he charges $100 for a card.

Dave

• << <i>Yogi does sign. Send to his meuseum, he charges $100 for a card.

Dave >>

Wow 100$ I dont think I could afford to pay that to have my pic signed, maybe we gonna have to come up with a list of players who will sign for free, thats allot of money where I come from.

-

IHi Craig Could you post a sample of your work? Thanx.

I dont have anyting with me at this stage, all paintings were given away as presents, My father has my best ones, I will maybe ask him to take a photo and email it to me, otherwise I will post the pics as soon as i get done..

Thanks for the info guys

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I believe Musial also charges $100 TTM, maybe more since it's a larger piece. Both are pretty prolific signers so I don't know that their sig will affect the value that much.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Well heres the first paiting: Stan Musial, bit dissapointed to hear he charges 100$ aswell but anyways:

Let me know what you think

PEace

Craig
  • not finished, but the flash is not liking some of the wet paint clearly...
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Ok I tried to soften it up a bit, i also though it was a bit scary, but here it is along with Bobby Doerr

Theyere not 100% done, i need the paint to dry so i can go over it for shading

let me know wat u think

peace
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I've always envied those who can draw/paint.

Good luck with the project!
  • Gonna be honest here, I really don't like the faces they are kind of freaky. Body/style is good but faces are severely lacking and could use some work imo

Don't hate me, like I said just being honest I don't want to feed you "they are great" when I don't actually think it.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gonna be honest here, I really don't like the faces they are kind of freaky. Body/style is good but faces are severely lacking and could use some work imo

Don't hate me, like I said just being honest I don't want to feed you "they are great" when I don't actually think it. >>

I gotta agree. They just don't look right - freaky is the right word. I don't think either face is recognizable at all.

Tabe
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Dont quit your day job! Those paintings are simply horrid.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think overall they look very good, but you should try and use less shadowing around the eyes which gives the faces a more macabre look than you're intending. It's tough to draw, and especially paint, but I think you have some talent. Keep working at it..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont quit your day job! Those paintings are simply horrid.

Real classy post. Do you ever have anything of value to add to any thread? If so, I haven't noticed it...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Thanks for the honesty guys, I will work on them this week, now im trying to figure out how to get this TTM and then back again, is there a way I can pre pay for USPS international mail and include it in the package some how..

any ideas, thanks

craig

• << <i>Thanks for the honesty guys, I will work on them this week, now im trying to figure out how to get this TTM and then back again, is there a way I can pre pay for USPS international mail and include it in the package some how..

any ideas, thanks

craig >>

I'd just have them return to a friend in the US, it will cost a bit more but probably easier, you can put enough stamps on something or prepay the postage but you will have to send what you want it sent in, in the package you send to them, honestly the paintings are probably pretty big so if they get a package like that I don't know if they will know what to do with it.
  • hmm, ok i see what your saying but if I was gonna have them sent to a friend in the USA it would entail almost the exact same procedure, I would just need to prepay for slightly less shipping. I think I can make an account on USPS.com, pay and print out a shipping lable that should show that the Intl. shipping has been paid, attach that to a envelope big enough and leave that inside the original evenvelope for him to drop the pic in and then drop the envelope at the post office with nothing else to worry about.

Im gonna try see if I can do it...

wish me luck
  • Ok I was succesfull ion creating a International shipping lable on USPS.com, had to put a US adress for a return address , now I will need to figure out sizing and weight, and I should almost be ready to post...

• << <i>Dont quit your day job! Those paintings are simply horrid.

Real classy post. Do you ever have anything of value to add to any thread? If so, I haven't noticed it... >>

I added honesty.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>Dont quit your day job! Those paintings are simply horrid.

Real classy post. Do you ever have anything of value to add to any thread? If so, I haven't noticed it... >>

I added honesty. >>

You added nothing but hot air. You're a true d-bag. If you don't like the paintings just don't say anything at all. Or at least say it tactfully.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dont quit your day job! Those paintings are simply horrid. >>

Dang who let you out of your hole????? And WHY did they leave you out of your hole??
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!