Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is this 52 Mantle giving off good vibes or bad?

2»

Comments

• I just want to thank everyone who helped me realize that this card is a fake.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    BS. I don't believe the OP's story. Something else is going on. I think they are somehow part of the scam. No serious buyer goes to craigslist looking for 1952 Mantles.
  • Congratulations guys on giving them the tips on how to make better fakes.
  • Agree. These threads come up from time to time, and they always seem scammish. Mantle's, does think look fake?, wrappers, etc.

I can only hope the OP is ignorant to cards, and if that is the case and you have 12 to 15k to spend on a Mantle you should buy from a very, very trustworthy seller, or an Auction House.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Don't think the OP said he was buying off Craigslist - he said it was where the fake Mantle came from. How he'd know that is peculiar though.
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Fake, Flip looks wrong. Looks like an old one but uses all four lines. One of the corners looks likes it was rounded on purpose and not from handling. Saw this when my younger brother would try to make the old reprints look like old cards.
  • This thread smelled fishy from the get-go. He'll bring back more Mantles for us to review as he finds them = he'll have us review the new fakes and help him become a better forger. Apologies to the OP if this is not the case, but I'd bet that it is. Here's a tip, buy your 52 Mantle off a reputable dealer with protection (Ebay) and be done with it.
    1955 Topps is done!
    working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7
  • I brought the image of the card here because I am never sure what an authentic Mantle '52 looks like because i've never held a real card in my hands, untill that happens I'll have to ask for help on the internet and this was the only place to come to mind, only because i've read other threads about the '52 Mantle here.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I didn't read the whole thread, because the comments of the OP immediately lead me to believe he is the seller. Anyone else get that vibe?
  • How did you know that particular Mantle was among the Craigslist fakes?

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>why are you asking like you are. Seems wierd the info you desire >>

He's asking because he owns this fake Mantle and is trying to get advice from the experts in the hobby before screwing someone.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    shame on you, Patrick. have ye no faith?
  • i came on to see if this card was a fake, I guess it is due to the comments, so I'm not buying. End of story. thanks for your help, my search for the right mantle at the right price continues...
  • You should probably let the community know who the sellers are / and how you came across this buying opportunity, and the sellers should probably be alerted that they are attempting to sell a fake flip, especially they were willing to get their picture taken, etc.

• twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I agree could we have the link on where this card was/is for sale? It would at least put the minds that think your are the counterfeiter to rest. At the very least it will back your story. Plus it could help to get another one of these fake out of the market...
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>shame on you, Patrick. have ye no faith? >>

zero. hah!

• << <i>I agree could we have the link on where this card was/is for sale? It would at least put the minds that think your are the counterfeiter to rest. At the very least it will back your story. Plus it could help to get another one of these fake out of the market... >>

Sure thing, here's the link of the card for sale on craigslist. http://bit.ly/nqNuV6
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Seller clearly knows it's a fake and wants to unload this piece of shiz on someone. $5,500 is about half what a real PSA 4 goes for.

"Behind on the mortgage" story. Maybe a step up from "found this in granny's attic and wanted to pay for next semester's tuition."

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    80collector, there are alot of wild imaginations here you did the right thing to ask before you made the purchase, bottom line the card is a fake and easily seen as one, then the slab and flip are fakes too... this example is an easy one, but others may not be so easy.

IMO Stay away from craigslist for any card over $100 that you are not an expert on, there are many fake card in fake PSA slabbed floating around, the key cards will be mid grade PSA-3-7, 1954T Aaron, 1951B Mantle, 1951B Mays, 1952T Mantle, 1956T Mantle, T206 Cobb red, R319 Ruth (all #s), R320 Gehrig (both), etc. some will be in real PSA slabs that have been cracked, some are in knockoff PSA impostor slabs, etc. There are variations to the CL scams.

If you have your mind set on buying a overrated 2nd year double printed 1952 Mantle card, you should ONLY buy from a major auction house, or a well known dealer on internet or on eBay that will guarantee the cards authenticity.
  • I don't see the 'PSA' on the bottom corner of the case...just to add to the consensus about the validity of the fake Mantle...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
    Thank you for the link

here is the link for those that don't want to copy paste it into their browser.

FAKE 52 Mantle

Thank you for putting all the conspiracy theorists to rest image

Glad you didn't buy it. I am sure you will find one. Just be patient and the right one will pop up.

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have your mind set on buying a overrated 2nd year double printed 1952 Mantle card, you should ONLY buy from a major auction house, or a well known dealer on internet or on eBay that will guarantee the cards authenticity. >>

lol.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Some think that the stuff you collect is crap too Frank.

Good for you.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i think Frank enjoys swatting at flies.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody buying any expensive collectible off of Craigslist, has to be a glutton for punishment.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    my 2 cents - I agree with Mullins. This new poster in my opinion created this card and asked us what we thought. He is not back to the drawing board creating a new one that looks better and closer the real Mantle. He is also creating a new flip.
  • I just contacted the seller and we agreed upon $3,575 shipped!!! I am soooo excited.

Sorry I am in a good mood this morning...

Group box break anyone with BBCE?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

• << <i>I just contacted the seller and we agreed upon $3,575 shipped!!! I am soooo excited.

Sorry I am in a good mood this morning...

Group box break anyone with BBCE? >>

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He did spell the name wrong...shouldn't it be Micky Mantel?
  • Ironically, when clicking on the link to the listing, the advertising line at the top says..

"Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee."
    The seller took it down. Wonder if someone from here contacted him?