Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is this 52 Mantle giving off good vibes or bad?

I almost have the deal closed, I just thought I'd bring it to the crew to see what ya'll thought about it. Is it authentic or not? Thanks for all your help, if you guys confirm it I'm on my way to pick it up! Tell me what you think, should I leave everything now and hit the highway or not?

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% fake
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    Looks fake to me also. The psa label also looks wrong.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Bad label was also the first thing I noticed.
  • hmmm, but everything looks good. Are you guys for certain? I shouldn't buy?
  • I am not an expert at all. I just looked at another PSA 4 on EBay, and I notice a couple of things.

1. The red border on left looks very thin compared to the right. Should the label be off center?
    2. The lettering seams much bigger than the one on EBay, or other PSA slabs.

JMO

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Label isn't right. Run like hell!
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmm, but everything looks good. Are you guys for certain? I shouldn't buy? >>

What is up lately with some of the posters on this board. Did you not read what everyone said right above you before posting this? But everything looks good? Everything looks fake, why ask for advice and this post this sort of response?
  • The size of the font does not seem to match other post .5 graded flips when you make comparisons.
  • it's called making sure, because it does look good. I see a graded psa 4 mantle, what other people see is maybe an old psa lable? This card could've been graded years ago, keep that in mind. I am asking if people are for certain that this card could be a fake.
  • ok then bubblebathgirl, you're saying the card is real?
  • Shouldn't be an old label if the grade is underneath, correct? That started in 2008 I believe.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    Youre seeing $ signs is all your seeing. How about this PSA 4 mantle for 2,000.00? but its worth 8,0000.00. OK!!!!!
    ITS 100% Fake.

If you didnt understand what bubblebathgirl said, then you shouldnt have money. Thats my last comment!
  • what seems fake about it? To me it looks like its aged nicely and seems very legit, are you guys not seeing this/? Anybody think it's real?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    YES! CORRECT! DO! NOT! BUY! THE! CARD!

EVER!!!!!
  • im getting the feeling that the OP has already bought the fake slab
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    check out this

Link

I agree the flip looks wrong or fake. I would not buy that card.

Centering of the flip has nothing to do with it being real or not. I seen many flips OC. here is an example of a real flip that isn't perfectly centered.

(picture is lifted off Ron Burgundy's thread)

Now the Mantle in question

What bothers me is the font. The "O" in Topps the 5 in 1952. Also look at the pound "#" symbol to the left of 311 both are completely different. The font doesn't match at all imo. STAY AWAY FROM THE CARD. It's in a fake flip. No doubt.
  • I think its just an old psa label.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake all the way!!!

Donato

Edited to add: There was never a label printed with that font.

Check out the link to a thread showing all the different labels PSA used.

Link to PSA flip/label types
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    The card looks great to me, congrats!
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>I think its just an old psa label. >>

If it were an old label the grade number would look like

VG-EX 4

not

VG-EX
    ____4

Did you click on the link I posted? The PSA Flip History is also in my signature image

If you really look close enough you will see the flip is fake.
    why are you asking like you are. Seems wierd the info you desire
  • Sorry, but both card and holder are FAKE.

Did you end up getting the card?

• << <i>Sorry, but both card and holder are FAKE.

Did you end up getting the card? >>

Considering every poster except hammered has said the card is fake and this person seems to still question it, I'm leaning to they have either already purchased the card or are trying to sell it some where and wanted positive responses here....
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry, but both card and holder are FAKE.

Considering every poster except hammered has said the card is fake and this person seems to still question it, I'm leaning to they have either already purchased the card or are trying to sell it some where and wanted positive responses here.... >>

I keep forgettong that sarcasm is wasted on the simple-minded

• << <i>it's called making sure, because it does look good. I see a graded psa 4 mantle, what other people see is maybe an old psa lable? This card could've been graded years ago, keep that in mind. I am asking if people are for certain that this card could be a fake. >>

No, it's called you asking the same question over and over until you hear the answer that you want to hear...even if it's the wrong answer...and in this case it most certainly is.

BTW, that card is garbage. image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry, but both card and holder are FAKE.

Considering every poster except hammered has said the card is fake and this person seems to still question it, I'm leaning to they have either already purchased the card or are trying to sell it some where and wanted positive responses here.... >>

I keep forgettong that sarcasm is wasted on the simple-minded >>

It is very easy to detect sarcasm is text.

Edit to add

"It is very difficult to detect sarcasm in writing due to lack of intonation and facial expressions."
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Run Forrest Run!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • That card even looks bad to me...
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The card is definitely fake. In addition to the bad label, the colors on the front look too subdued/washed out. If you pay anything more than $5, you've paid too much!
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>im getting the feeling that the OP has already bought the fake slab >>

Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I could care less about the holder, flip PSA etc.

The card inside this hoider is NOT authentic. It is one of the fakes with the washed out image and the way too dark and bold top and bottom black border lines.

These cards are easy to spot if you just look at the dark black line around the image, way too dark compared to the image.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    80s...I sure hope you didnt buy that card before getting opinions, because its a fake for sure. That label jumped out at me before I finished scrolling down to the card. If you dont want to take the advice from those here, do some research on it. There is plenty of info on fake 52 Mantles and fake slabs on the internet. We did our research. Thats how we came to our conclusion.

Also...if you didnt buy the card yet, ask the seller for a scan of the card against a black background. That slab probably has more frosting than a birthday cake.

• << <i>
    Also...if you didnt buy the card yet, ask the seller for a scan of the card against a black background. That slab probably has more frosting than a birthday cake. >>

Actually should be easy for him to scan, as He Has Already bought the Card! Notice he quit posting about as he licks his wounds or worse case tries to pawn it off on the next Sucker!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

• << <i>

<< <i>
    Also...if you didnt buy the card yet, ask the seller for a scan of the card against a black background. That slab probably has more frosting than a birthday cake. >>

Actually should be easy for him to scan, as He Has Already bought the Card! Notice he quit posting about as he licks his wounds or worse case tries to pawn it off on the next Sucker!

Neil >>

Assuming he was being honest was wasn't the con man to begin with.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    The black border is all wrong. You will either have the top border extending on both sides or you will have the print pixel missing. This card has neither.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Neil >>

Assuming he was being honest was wasn't the con man to begin with. >>

Didn't say he was, but when you get the same answer to a question a dozen times and continue to Ignore the answers, it brings into question why your asking the question to begin with !! image

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

• << <i>I think its just an old psa label. >>

My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with the facts!
    It just hit me that the OPs user name is a combination of 2 previous dead beat members.
    80'sJunkie and ToppsCollector
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also...if you didnt buy the card yet, ask the seller for a scan of the card against a black background. That slab probably has more frosting than a birthday cake. >>

My question is will the holder ALWAYS show signs of tampering, such as frosting, cracks, etc..? Or has anyone ever seen a fake card and/or flip in a perfect holder?
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    eminence front.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    no one knows what it's like to be the bad man
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    WORST FAKE EVER
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

<< <i>My question is will the holder ALWAYS show signs of tampering, such as frosting, cracks, etc..? Or has anyone ever seen a fake card and/or flip in a perfect holder? >>

kgibson, I havent seen it. I have seen where only the top or bottom of the slab will show evidence of tampering. Sometimes they leave the original flip in and only replace the card. In this case...the flip and the card have been replaced.

• I think this Mantle was the one in this thread from 2 years ago (the Craigslist flips). But unfortunately the old image/link no longer exists.

1952 Mantle PSA 4 Fake Flip Thread
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>eminence front. >>

It's a put-on

• << <i>eminence front. >>

"Eminence Front" is a song written and sung by Pete Townshend of The Who. It appears as the sixth track on the group's 1982 studio album, It's Hard. The single reached #68 on the Billboard Hot 100.[1] It is the only song from the album that the band has opted to play live after the initial post-release tours
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It just hit me that the OPs user name is a combination of 2 previous dead beat members.
    80'sJunkie and ToppsCollector >>

Maybe we are being tested instead.

I say fake in every way.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I'm kinda partial to "Don't Let Go the Coat".
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll!

Wait, what was this thread about?