Home Metal Detecting
Options

Hunting my 100+ year old house

KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
I decided to finally hunt my property today. It's 100+ years old and figured I might find some cool stuff. With a quick run of the backyard I found 11 modern cents and a dime. I hit a 1956 Canadian dime and 7 wheaties as well. The oldest dated 1930. I also found a piece of junk jewelry that looks like it came from the '80s for a little girl. And as I was walking in for the night I hit a junk signal and decided to dig it. As soon as I pulled the plug I saw a little image of Bazooka Joe. It looks like a little button cover or something. I think that was my favorite for the dayimage I'm gonna have to hit it hard this weekend. Gotta find something at least a hundred years old image

Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go. How long have you lived there? I've never tried my own place and might do that someday!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    We moved in last December. My 8 year old daughter had a blast hunting with me. She's already hounding me to go out again tomorrow when I get home from work. I may have to find her a little detector lol.
    Robert

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to hunt the walls of the house.... Garrett makes a nice wall detector. Also, check the old maps for property lines and MD those... often fences were used and posts served as markers for buried cash (banks were not always trusted). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you've found silver, and Wheaties? Excellent.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Finding silver is always good. I let my daughter take all of the wheaties and she couldn't have been happier
    Robert

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had luck in nooks and crannies-- older houses have a lot of gaps near walls for coins to roll into. A board along a stairwell at my parent's house was like a 1962 time machine, complete with B&W school portrait of an unknown kid.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    off to a good start. wtg image
  • Options
    Hit the yard again tonight. Results weren't too bad. I found more silver. '51 Roosie that looks like it was dropped yesterday, '37 buffalo nickel, '39 Jefferson nickel and a 1919 wheatie. Found a shotgun shell head from U.M.C. Co. Google says they were in business from 1867-1911. Pretty cool. And I found 12 cents in modern coinage. Not bad for about an hour in the yard.
    Robert

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent results.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

If you have a front or back porch with lattice skirting, remove some lattice & check under there. When I was a kid I used to find coins that had fallen between the floor boards and ended up in the top inch or two of soil. I also found a dozen or so painted lead toy soldiers. Would have probably found lots more if I had a detector.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi