Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What did I buy? Mantle Question

I just purchased something on ebay in the PWCC auctions. It was a 1954 Topps SI preview of Mickey Mantle. It looked in NM condition. Does anyone know anything about these? It is not graded. Will PSA grade this? Thanks for the feedback.
PackManInNC

Comments

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Double check...

I believe it is a reprint of the cards not in the original SI magazines...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    It is black and white and does not say reprint anywhere on it. I will post a scan when I get it.
    PackManInNC
    Is this it?

SI card

what did you pay?

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    Yes that is it. Ouch I paid $40.00. Although mine appears to be in much better shape and is perfectly centered. So did I get hosed?
    PackManInNC
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it....you got caught up in the PWCC wave!! Brent doesn't usually sell reprints and such as the real deal however. What did the actual auction listing describe it as?
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the card in question I believe:

pwcc mantle

He sure does list it as an original.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the first and second issue of SI - both containing cards.

The second issue has the cards with the B&W Mantle:

The question I have? The card being sold by Fritsch states "reprint."

Is the card you bought a reprint or a cutout from the magazine insert?
    Mike
    Well, if it were me, I wouldn't have consigned it/or listed it. Brent admitted he didn't know anything about the issue, and bottom line is, it is up to the buyer to do his homework on card purchases. OP basically paid $55 for a $5 card. Chalk it up to a learning experiecnce and next time, do a little research before jumping into a card purchase.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm still confused. Is it possible that the one from PWCC is cut from the 2nd SI issue and is thus not a reprint (and thus perhaps worth closer to what mexpo paid)?
    upon closer inspection...

mex's card has a top border...

so, it may be legit...

not sure on value...

- uncut

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked my Standard Cat and it doesn't give values for cutouts - so I have no idea what it's worth.

It's a cool card.

On the first issue of SI - in 1991 SI reprinted the issue and to my knowledge - nowhere did it state it - an easy way to know one has a real one? From my understanding - the mail in insert was "not" put in the reprints.

Mike
  • It looks pretty nice. Just enjoy it! Thank god you did not pay something ridiculous.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
    Does PSA grade this?
    PackManInNC
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Even the originals are not "cards" they are images of the cards reproduced in the magazine. The complete magazine has value, the cut pieces of the magazine not so.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    From item description:

"guaranteed authentic by PWCC"
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
    Just so everyone knows what a class act Brent at PWCC is, he gave me the option of cancelling the transaction becuase of confusion. I have and will continue to support his auctions.
    PackManInNC
    Brent IS a class act. Apparently you weren't the only one confused Mexpo, because the item got bid up.....