Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions needed on crossing this Rose rookie from SGC to PSA !!

Just picked this card up at the nationals in Chicago and I would like to see it in a PSA holder. What are your thoughts ? What would this card crossover to in a PSA holder or should I leave it alone.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war

Comments

• jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    You might get a 7 but it will not get a 7.5
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think it will pull a PSA7, but think the centering keeps it from a 7.5

Edit to add: it's a beauty of a Rose RC. Congrats!
  • svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    Which would you rather have, a SGC 7.5 or PSA 7 ???

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

On a bad day, it might not even catch a 7.

I would definitely not crack it out, if you send it to PSA.

I think I would leave it alone. If you gotta have one in a PSA slab,
    you can sell the SGC and buy a PSA.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    leave it alone...

very nice...

no need for PSA...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice card, do not risk a crackout if you would be unhappy with a PSA 7.
    PackManInNC
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. I've seen worse centered vintage baseball in PSA 8 holders, but I wouldn't crack it to find out.
  • The card pops better in the SGC holder. The 63 Rookie is already one ugly card design. Why highlight that even more the unattractive rattle trap PSA case?
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>The card pops better in the SGC holder. The 63 Rookie is already one ugly card design. Why highlight that even more the unattractive rattle trap PSA case? >>

ditto image
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. The centering is off. I don't see it getting the half point bump from PSA.
  • Very nice Rose rookie, but as others have said don't crack it out, send it in for a crossover but I think it would come back PSA 7 NQ or a PSA 8 or 9 with a qualifier (OC). who knows you might get lucky and they give it a straight 7.5. jmho

• ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    The card pops better in the SGC holder.

I agree. Aesthetically SGC has no equal.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    +1 for leave it as is!!!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    Still welcoming comments on this topic ! Any chance that PSA would do a review in this holder without cracking it out ?

• I think it depends on why you want it in a PSA holder?
    If you need it for the registry, than send it in with a minimum grade requirement. That way if it doesn't grade out to what you want, your only out a few bucks. I think that probably goes the same for resale also. The corners & condition look pretty strong, but the centering could prevent the half point bump, though I have seen a few 8.5's with about the same centering, so you really never know.

I also just saw your collection, I am going to send you a PM.
  • that is definitely a nice card. But I have to agree with everyone else.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    hmmm. i'm going to speculate that your investment in this card won't pay off unless you can get it into a PSA 8 holder, which several posters have already declared isn't very likely.

the fact that you bumped a 1 1/2 year-old thread to receive the same replies as before tells me that while you've enjoyed owning a nice Rose rookie, you're been hoping someone would offer you a glint of hope that you could double your money on this one.
    I would be happy Dollar wise with a PSA 7 but feel it is a nicer card. Just looking for some opinions on whether I should crack it out or send in as a review with a minimum grade of 7.5 or 7 !

• BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Beautiful card. Beautiful blue corners. Leave it..........
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • I just saw this card, if it can get an 8, you sure should be able to get a 7.5 or better!

• CSCCSC Posts: 100

<< <i>I would be happy Dollar wise with a PSA 7 but feel it is a nicer card. Just looking for some opinions on whether I should crack it out or send in as a review with a minimum grade of 7.5 or 7 ! >>

Looks like SGC got the grade right and it looks nice in the slab. Save yourself the money and keep it in the slab. When you want to sell it, list it as a buy it now price that you want and let it sit until you get what you want. Not sure what you are even worried about. Looking at VCP: PSA 7 AVG = $846.50, SGC 7 AVG = $999.99, PSA 7.5 AVG = $978.76, SGC 7.5 AVG = $993. Nothing really being left on the table here to wast time, money and effort to even reslab.

Not sure if this is really what you want to hear or if you want someone to say - crack it out as it has a good chance of getting an 8 and you will make big bucks. That risk is an individual question and could take 10 or so resubs to get the 8, but certainly has a chance. There is 0% (or near that) chance of getting a 7.5 or 8 sending it in the slab for a review.
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    9OC is my guess
    Hook'em
  • Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Nice Rose rookie..I would leave in SGC as well. It has great color but the centering side to side will hurt.Here is my 7.
  • PSARichPSARich Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    PSA Grading Criteria:

NM-MT 8: Near Mint-Mint
    A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
    NM 7: Near Mint
    A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

The main issue with the card is obviously the L-R centering. If you think the centering is 70-30, go for it. From the scan it looks sure to be 75-25 or better, don't know if it hits the 70-30 mark. I agree to definitely try for a crossover and send it in its SGC holder, don't crack it out if you do decide to send it to PSA. I think 7.5 is the right grade on this card.