Home Sports Talk

Steve Williams Right or Wrong in His Comments on TV Interview

He said that was the most satisfying victory he had been a part of. He helped Adam Scott, yes, but Scott still had to hit the shots.

Ron
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The comments were a little curious, and I'm sure after Tiger heard them, he knew he made the right decision. The comments were definitely out of place considering all he does is hand the golfer a club. Scott hasn't a big tournament in years, yet instead of deferring the spotlight to Scott, he decides to take a veiled shot at Tiger.

I was on Stevie's side during the breakup with Tiger, but now it seems he is just as big of a jerk as Tiger is.

• << <i> The comments were definitely out of place considering all he does is hand the golfer a club. >>

Made a cool $140,000 "just handing the golfer a club".

I see nothing wrong with him stating that this win meant more than any other.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty clear from all the whining and complaining that Williams has done since he got fired that Tiger made the right decision. His actions have been pretty unprofessional, especially given the millions of dollars Tiger has paid him over the years.

Tabe
  • It annoys me that this guys comments are even getting the time of day from the national public.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I see nothing wrong with him stating that this win meant more than any other. >>>

If he said it like that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. When he says "it's MY biggest win in 33 years", when he didn't hit a single freaking shot, is ludicrous. Especially when he doesn't even mention the guy that actually won the tournament.

He's a caddie. He's paid to carry and bag and NOT SPEAK. If I were Scott, I would fire him out of principle.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a caddie. He's paid to carry and bag and NOT SPEAK. If I were Scott, I would fire him out of principle. >>

To be fair, fans chanted Steve's name on the last hole, and he was asked to speak by CBS. Who says that caddies aren't allowed to speak? That might be a general rule, but it's not always the case.
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    All the sports talk shows are hammering the guy! He made over 9 million dollars with Tiger. And now he's trashing the guy. I think Tiger has his own demons to deal with, but firing an employee shouldn't be one of them. He can do whatever he wants.......9 million dollars carrying golf clubs seems like a good ride in my book!
  • Please allow me to add a little of my thoughts to this thread. Caddies are usually up at 4 in the morning and out walking the course checking pin positions, stint of the greens, best angles to come into a green, distances to the pins. They care for the players equipment and are responsible for the player's mental stability during a tournament. By that I mean they try to calm them down after a bad shot and keep their general mood in tow. A good caddie earns his pay. They are supposed to prevent the players from making the wrong decisions on shots. Most caddies club their player by knowing the course up one side and down the other. Steve Williams has proven himself to be a good caddie over the years. Now I am not a big Tiger Woods fan. I am sick and tired of having the media cram the man down my throat. I played golf for 25 years until my health reached the point to where I could no longer play. I think that regardless of how much knowledge Williams imparted on Scott, Scott still had to hit the shots. Williams didn't win the tournament but was big part of Scott's success in winning. I believe that Williams joined with a golfer that has a lot of potential and I expect them to do well together. Williams will be the calming influence to keep Scott in line for his next win and it just might be at Atlanta this coming week. But win at Atlanta or not I think you will see a big improvement in Scott's play this week.

Ron
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Steve has earned the right to say whatever he wants...

He stood by Tiger tall the last couple of years...

Tiger let him go...

Steve probably has a lot more to say...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>It annoys me that this guys comments are even getting the time of day from the national public. >>

When I saw this thread, this is pretty much the thought that went through my head......................

It seems that ESPN had started to take on the personality of tabloid magazine - it's getting pretty sad what they are focusing on.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>

<< <i>It annoys me that this guys comments are even getting the time of day from the national public. >>

When I saw this thread, this is pretty much the thought that went through my head......................

It seems that ESPN had started to take on the personality of tabloid magazine - it's getting pretty sad what they are focusing on. >>

Tiger Woods and all that concerns him is news. The media has done this. Every since the man came into the limelight 15 some years ago they have crammed him down our throats. Anyone that has ever picked up a golf club can watch Tiger play golf and see greatness. The media doesn't have to line up with Vaseline on their lips, kissing his rear, to tell us how great he is. All the media sees is a story and they could care lees whom is hurt by the story. It gives the "Talking Heads" something to do for a couple of days. It's an easy story to report because they don't have to do any leg work. They just let it unfold and spew their never ending drivel on us. The reason I started this thread was because Steve Williams is a caddie and a good one. The story is that he has caddied for Tiger Woods for 13 years. I don't need to go into all the details because we know that part. Williams was loyal to Woods up until he asked to caddy for Adam Scott and Tiger didn't agree to this. I don't know Steve Williams finances, maybe he needed the money, maybe not. Maybe he just wanted to work. Above all though Steve Williams is a human being and should be accorded some respect. Yes I think he overdid the gloating over Scott's win but I also think he was very instumental in bringing it about.

Ron
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Right now I dislike both Tiger and Williams more than I did several years ago.
  • Watched Tiger Woods' interview on the Golf Channel Wednesday morning. When asked about the Steve Williams thing he said that it was between him and Williams and went on to something else. It had already been announced before the interview with Tiger that Williams had already stated that he might have went a little too far. Sounds to me like the PGA might have had something to say about all of the events surrounding this and stepped in.

Ron
  • jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    Hell hath no fury like a woman.... err... caddy scorned.

As his current employer (Adam Scott), I wouldn't want a caddy that will eventually bad mouth me to the media if we part ways in a manner he does not like.
    Joel
  • Seems like he got caught up in the moment, how many times has a caddy ever had his name chanted going down the fairway? With the Tiger interview today, sounds like a dead story anyway, you know he does a great job of keeping negative stories in house.image
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like he got caught up in the moment, how many times has a caddy ever had his name chanted going down the fairway? With the Tiger interview today, sounds like a dead story anyway, you know he does a great job of keeping negative stories in house.image >>

He wasn't just caught up in the moment. He's given multiple negative interviews in the last couple weeks. This was a bit of an extension of that but nothing all that different than what he's said before.

Tabe
  • Yet again, the media is attempting to make a story out of a non-story. Get back to announcing final scores and showing highlights.