Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mrmint23(kirk) Recap of the National(more pics)

First let me say its not the cards at the National that make it great but the people you get to meet....This was my third National in a row that I have been to specifically looking for a PSA 7 1963 Rose rookie centered.....and in one day not only do I get that 7 but also get an 8! Thanks to Matt I was able to purchase a 7....Crazy situation...I had found an 8 but the guy wanted 1800 cash for it so I was hesitant but wishing...Once Matt pointed out the 7 I asked the owner of the 8 if I could leave some cards with him in order to take the 8 and compare it to the 7..Those cards being 1953 Bowman Mantle Bvg 5.5, 1954 Bowman Mantle Bvg 5, 1956 Topps Mantle Bvg 5 and 1965 Topps Mantle Bvg 7(I had 1100 in those cards)...He said sure and off I went to compare and contrast...I decided on the 7 and then returned to the dealer to give back his 8...He said why dont we just trade...after playing cool and asking for an additional $100 from him...Matt pulls me over to the side and says...Your an IDIOT if you dont make that trade straight up..so I turn around and said ok I'll take the deal(Thanks Matt)..Later that night I sold the card to Matt for the purchase price so I could go get a 1952 Bowman Mantle PSA 6 and 4 Tiger Woods rookies...Over the next few days I also picked up a 1968 PSA 8 Rose and 1956 Mantle white back...I really enjoyed this show and the people I got to meet...Matt, Mike, Andy, Curt, John and most notably Neil and his son Raven....Neil (Dutymon) is a blast and has a lot of knowledge not only about cards but life experiences(especially about the Raiders) Finally, thanks to Mike I won a box of Lineage at the Topps meet and greet...that was a fun rip....Here are a few pics..Also got the Williams graded at the National and thanks to John for taking th epic of me talking to Bart Starr

Comments

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Kirk!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice haul image
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice...

out of curiosity...

what is the market like on those Tigers?

never really paid attention to them much...

thanks for any info...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Great job Kirk. I love that 52 Bowman Mantle. Now the story is complete as Matt left us hanging. image

Can't wait to see you guys at next year's National.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirk,

Good looking Jim Brown rookie and signed. Congrats on the pick ups.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Kirk,

Great story ... great cards. Maybe I'll be able to meet you guys next year in Baltimore.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good work Brah!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Very nice Kirk,sorry I didn't run into you. Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Nice work... I met Kirk in the concession line on Friday... great guy.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the pics photobucket is messed up...They are showing up ok in photobucket but all messed up here....Lou I did see you on the floor and at the Net54 dinner but didnt get to come over and say hi...Hopefully we will run into each other next year..Leadoff nice to meet a true Kentucky Wildcat.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Kirk, That Mantle is one hell of a card. Had a good time this week. Thanks
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    I really think the Mantle should be in a 6.5 if not a 7....maybe next year I can get it reviewed if I dont sell it before then...to qoute an infamous collector(Neil No Worry Mon) EVERYTHING is for sale...
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Kirk ... that '52 Bowman Mantle looks GREAT! Congrats.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the issue with the Aaron rookie? It definitely presents well.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Kirk, congratulations on the cards you acquired; especially the Mantle and Rose RC!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I could not hook up with you at the show.Did not get to spend much time at the show as I had to go back home before I planned to.You can see my pickups from my short time there elswhere on this forum.
    You did OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Hey Kirk great story I am glad you got the 8 rose rookie and i bet your happy now you didn't buy my 7.. I love the Rose cards..glad you had a great time, can't wait till next year i'll definately be there!!