Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Scam Alert bidders beware!

While searching for items on ebay I ran across this seller- billyd2008 - selling some amazing cards. Check out this array of cards

http://shop.ebay.com/billyd2008/m.html?_trlparms=65%3A10%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A18rt=nc&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

I Don't know if this link will work, I hope someone with more computer know how can post a link for me.

Comments

• lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Looks ok to me?
  • BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks ok to me? >>

Yeah, It sure does, perhaps I'll bid on the PSA 8 or PSA 7 1952 Topps Mantle Rookie!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Also wondering what is the matter with these auctions. Did you have a bad experience with this seller?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    No, bad experience, but taking a look at the cards, would it be more advantageous to sell them somewhere else? Just seems to scary to me.

"A fool and his money is easily parted."
  • Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Cards look fine!! Am I missing the SCAM???
  • I think you need to explain what you see, cause no one sees anything but you. Are you saying because a card is graded high it shouldn't be on ebay? People need to chill with calling everything they see a "scam".
  • Can't say if the seller is a scam or not. But looking at his past sales, coupled with these high end cards being listed as 3 day auctions all at once raises red flags, as it should. He just happens to have 2 52 Mantles, along with a 51 and 53, but has only been selling a few cheap lots leading up to this.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he needs the money. The stock market was brutal this week!
    The longest it will take to get the cards sent out will be a week to week and a half. I'm not sure how much every card is worth, so I really don't know a good starting bid for a lot of the cards. It shouldn't make a difference I hope. Upon completion of payment, a positive feedback will be given. Thanks for looking! Happy Bidding!

Well if that doesn't scare you then I don't know what does. He has added 11 cards to this sale since I posted the link, and they end in less than 2 days 18 hours. Good Luck Bid early and often!

<< <i>Can't say if the seller is a scam or not. But looking at his past sales, coupled with these high end cards being listed as 3 day auctions all at once raises red flags, as it should. He just happens to have 2 52 Mantles, along with a 51 and 53, but has only been selling a few cheap lots leading up to this. >>

I'm selling for a good friend of mine a bunch of PSA graded extremely rare cards. He is computer illiterate pretty much. It is what it is. He's paying me $500 or more depending on how well things sell. I will be there with him to send the cards out all at the same time for security purposes and to make sure everything gets sent out perfectly. He doesn't want to be hauling around thousands of dollars of cards obviously. I normally sell low end cards from my collection so if it were me I would be so paranoid I suggested to him to get security to go with or something. Basically all bidding will end on Monday or sooner for all the cards that will be selling. I've seen the general population of his collection. It is an amazing collection! The longest it will take to get the cards sent out will be a week to week and a half. I'm not sure how much every card is worth, so I really don't know a good starting bid for a lot of the cards. It shouldn't make a difference I hope. Upon completion of payment, a positive feedback will be given. Thanks for looking! Happy Bidding!

He's selling the cards for a friend. No, need to worry. I'm sure if he would have pointed this collection of cards to one of the auction houses, he would have made more than the $500 dollars in a finders fee.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you need to explain what you see, cause no one sees anything but you. Are you saying because a card is graded high it shouldn't be on ebay? People need to chill with calling everything they see a "scam". >>

The reason experienced collectors call this a scam is because 90% of the time it is.
    Here's a seller with no experience selling high grade cards, selling them for a "friend" who accumulated an amazing collection no doubt from online sources, yet is computer illiterate? Anyone who has amassed a collection like that would not leave thousands of dollars on the table by letting someone like this sell them.
    And the scans have different backgrounds, as they were probably made from different scanners.
    Brief three-day auctions are typical, to take the $ and run.
    Then he says your card might not ship for 10 days (because we all know how difficult it is to put a graded card in a bubble mailer), so that he can give himself some lead time before the scammed buyers start asking "where's my card?"
    But if you still think this is not a scam, I definitely think you should bid and let us know how it turns out

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you need to explain what you see, cause no one sees anything but you. Are you saying because a card is graded high it shouldn't be on ebay? People need to chill with calling everything they see a "scam". >>

The reason experienced collectors call this a scam is because 90% of the time it is.
    Here's a seller with no experience selling high grade cards, selling them for a "friend" who accumulated an amazing collection no doubt from online sources, yet is computer illiterate? Anyone who has amassed a collection like that would not leave thousands of dollars on the table by letting someone like this sell them.
    And the scans have different backgrounds, as they were probably made from different scanners.
    Brief three-day auctions are typical, to take the $ and run.
    Then he says your card might not ship for 10 days (because we all know how difficult it is to put a graded card in a bubble mailer), so that he can give himself some lead time before the scammed buyers start asking "where's my card?"
    But if you still think this is not a scam, I definitely think you should bid and let us know how it turns out >>

Well said, thanks. I was just trying to alerting people to the SCAM.

"Bid Early and Bid Often"

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    The fact the seller hasn't really sold big ticket items before is one hint, 2 Mantle 1952 RCs is another, and the fact that those pictures at least to my eyes are all over the board with different backgrounds and styles of taking the pictures that I would say to stay far away. I am thinking hijacked account using stolen pictures of the cards and posting under the usual BS story.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

I vote SCAM.

The violation of the KISS principle is a pretty clear giveaway.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I did not look at the descriptions (which are the same on all cards) before I posted the first time. After reading the description I will have to agree with the OP and say STAY AWAY. They could be legit, but probably a slim chance. Thanks for showing us these auctions!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

This guy takes the cake, when I initially posted at the beginning of this thread he had 97 items up for auction, then it jumped to 108, I just checked again, and he's up to 161 items, and the newly listed ones end in 17 hours.

SCAM ALERT
  • Looks like they're stolen scans. The 53 Mays PSA 8 is an identical scan to the one sold on 6/9/10 right down to the tilted orientation of the scan.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    And he's selling the ONLY copy of PSA 10 '49 Bowman Keller
    Neither Crandell, Merkel, Spence, or Fogel have that one yet because it's been sitting in the collection of this guy's computer-illiterate friend, LOL

Don't worry he just added a PSA 8 Bill Dickey 1952 Topps, and this item ends in less than 18 hours.

SCAM ALERT
  • I just sent the guy a $4k deposit PP gift in good faith; is that OK?
  • I actually had a guy on eBay ask me to send him 3K as a Paypal gift. I was going to buy four boxes of 2009 National Treasures baseketball from him on eBay. I communicated with him for more pics and provenance as it wasn't a sealed case. He stated he didn't trust eBay and to just Paypal gift him the money. Funny!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly appears to be an accumulation of stolen scans - that's my opinion.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I guess the different colored backgrounds should have been the dead giveaway.....
    Every scammer has their own particular criminal style...but usually the clever hard core scammers will go in for the "big kill" like this...grab lots of money. This vermin is probably ready to move soon to another state to another apartment or rented house, and therefore is difficult to track down...and if he is eventually tracked down, he simply moves again to another state.

Maybe Storm can chime in on this if he knows...I'm not sure if PayPal holds money for 21 days on transactions like this...I don't know what the details are, and hopefully this scammer, if he is a scammer, won't profit from any of this. Maybe the scammer is aware of this PayPal "hold period" and maybe not...but if he is aware and realizes he won't likely receive much or anything from PayPal, he will likely try to contact the winning bidders and offer them a discount for paying with a check or money order...he cashes the checks and money orders, and then vamooses.

Until law enforcement finally starts getting serious with these ebay criminals, then this thievery will continue and get worse.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    >"And he's selling the ONLY copy of PSA 10 '49 Bowman Keller<"

If this is a fact has the listing been reported to ebay. Since we are just speculating here my guess it's a stolen account.
    There seems to have been several cases of this lately.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • As for the PSA 10 Keller, I saw that here before - an obvious stolen scan...

Original Keller Site

The Real PSA 10 Keller Image
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    It's a Trent sighting. (I'll pretend you are the one that disappeared for a while.) Hey buddy...wish I was up there this summer.

Nice recall on the cards.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    without knowing the facts, i am opening speculation that at least some of the scammer's scans were lifted from auctions conducted by Mile High, Memory Lane, Huggins & Scott, etc.

after checking pricing history on several of the offerings, it was just too coincindental that these names kept appearing at the top for the most recently completed sales according to VCP.

i realize that the information may not be completely accurate, but what this tells me is that someone has prepared a rather elaborate scam by gathering pics of stuff that dates back as far as 4 years, perhaps more.....the people who are perpetrating these scams are getting smarter, or at least they think they are.

this will turn into an epic mess.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Big Red. OBVIOUS scammer.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    The 1953 Bowman Campanella is from the same website, and has the same cert# as the Keller. www.marayasportscards.com
    I spoke with an ebay representative, I hope they are able to stop this scam. Has anyone ever reported these actions before?

<< <i>Has anyone ever reported these actions before? >>

lol. there are some here who treat it as a daily helping of meat. image

good work, detective. image
  • Yes, I also reported the seller. I noticed the 57 PSA 9 Kaline was in his completed sectioned. It looks like someone made an off ebay offer or the owner of the card contacted him.

I made an offer on his 55 Koufax and this was his response:

I really don't know how much a lot of these cards are worth so I'm going to have to reject. I know it will go for quite a bit and that is all. I will pretty much let these go as is in bidding. Thank you though.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

he pulled a '57 Kaline and a '57 Mays which was referenced above. they were both duplicated in the listings.

While EBAY/PP have many folks believing that their algos can
    "spot" scammers before they scam, the TRUTH is that both
    outfits are almost totally dependent on users to report likely
    fraudulent listings. (With the widespread HATRED of EBAY/PP,
    the historic "early warning" once provided by such users is
    now pretty rare.)

There is NO question that some scams are thwarted by PP-fund
    holds and "scored" listing cancellations, but MOST are stopped
    when users tip-off the outfits before a listing ends. (The instant
    listings should have scored weak; thus, if an algo was going to
    poof them, they would likely already be gone.)

Usually, an algo-whacked listing will be poofed within a few hours -
    sometimes minutes - of its submission. If it lasts 12-hours, a scam
    listing is generally home free; absent a subsequent user report.

Fri/Sat/Sun listings are the most poof-proof for scammers.

In MOST pro scams, PP is kept out of the mix AFTER the "sale."
    The crooks rely on the lack of sophistication, the greed, and the
    dishonesty of the buyers to remove PP - and sometimes EBAY -
    from the transaction. Remember, when you are collecting money
    for nothing, you do NOT have to convert every fish into payday,
    in order to have a profitable scam; if only 10% of the fish fall for
    the post-sale pitch, the scammer still makes bank.

The instant scam looks like a jacked account, but it could almost
    as easily be a "good" seller gone bad.

Because of the age of the account, there would be no automatic
    PP hold; the account is likely verified and has had receiving limits
    long-previously raised.

Good catch by BigRed7.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    Why are we satisfied that Ebay is "investigating"? I want to see a youtube video of some Iowa police officers carrying the guy out of his living room in handcuffs. I bet if we called the US Postal Inspectors Officer who was at the National this week, he'd be up for it.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    This is going to get Very ugly. He is getting a LOT of action on most of his auctions.

My favorite so far is the 48 Bowman Charlie Keller in PSA10 and the multiple 52 Topps Ed Mathews RCs.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• The ebay username is also on okcupid.com and Youtube.com. The one on okcupid.com is from Waterloo,IA. The Youtube account videos look to be the same person. I'll be bidding on all the auctions before they close. image

"...Yuck ... ladies and gents, get your fecal umbrellas ready..."

//////////////////

Only the folks who fall for the "let's finish this deal outside of EBAY"
    pitch will lose money.

Ever since I saw the ING commercial where the guy claims that his investment goal is 1 gazillion dollars, I've been wanting to use that number for something. In fact, that might be my bid on the Keller.

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    million dollar snipe on all of them should clear it up

Always amazes me if say a contractor totally rips somebody off, or somebody shoplifts stuff from a store, or some other crime involving stealing a significant amount of money occurs in some town...and the police arrest them, the press rips them in the local paper, and all sort of public awareness is made about these thieves. But yet in the same town, there could be a criminal on ebay doing the exact same thing...stealing money...off internet buyers...and probably stealing more money than the other crooks...and yet no police action, no press, basically no nothing but say ebay making the scammer "no longer a registered user."

Frankly, I don't get it?

<< <i>....Frankly, I don't get it? >>

////////////////////////////////////////

Many folks simply lack empathy for internet fraud victims.

"How could they be so stupid?"

"They should have known better."

"It's their own fault."

All typical renderings from the average observers.

Many folks have a need to feel superior to others. Their notion
    that "this could never happen to me," allows them to satisfy
    that need.

Some folks attack the victims because in their secret place, they
    know that preventing/punishing fraud is actually difficult and they
    fear that they too could become vics; that fear spawns misplaced
    anger against the preyed upon.

• Found his 1952 PSA 8 Reese - Cert #06004891

Goodwin Reese

billyd2008 reese
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Hurry and bid, the first ten items end in the next 1.5 to 2 hours.

"Bid early and bid often.!"
    What's the over/under on the NARU date?
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just asked him to post a picture of the backs for both 51' bowman mantles.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    sumthin wid dos auctions dont look right vern