Home Metal Detecting
Options

Need help identifying

It's been awhile since I've posted. Moved the family to a new location and finally got out detecting. Found this in the water in lake superior. The sandy bottom is very low this year exposing an old bog. found it about 8 inches down. Not sure of what metal it is. weight is 13.77 gr. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got no clue, but it looks cool, how did your detector respond to it?

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pitting on it makes me think that it is lead.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

It almost looks like a rune. Never heard of them turning up in America though.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is lead, it could be one of the old style 'folding' sinkers, which were 'crushed' onto the line as required. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    It came up mid range on my garrett. Three ring bullets come up as a strong eight. This came up 6 to 7. I'm guessing lead also.
  • Options

<< <i>If it is lead, it could be one of the old style 'folding' sinkers, which were 'crushed' onto the line as required. Cheers, RickO >>

I believe that is exactly what it is having used them as a lad.
  • Options
    i have found similar items in chinese camps. i'm thinking its a gaming chip. kinda looks like a crude domino piece. very cool if thats what it is.
  • Options
    I think you may be right. It doesn't seem like a folding sinker to me. I've found a pic of a viking gaming chip which is very
    close in weight. And made of lead.
  • Options
    Have been trying to respond to this thread since friday but have been waiting to get my password (which i, of course, forgot) since then. ANYway, I believe there is a strong chance this is a French Colonial lead cloth seal c. 1700s. I bought one about eight years ago, a piece found in the Detroit River area. Mine was also lead, oblong, and mine had etched in numbers on the back (though yours looked like etched in mystery markings). Also, mine had a tree design on it with a French legend. To my eyes, I think I see what MIGHT be a fleur de lis on the face of your piece but it's hard to say.

• Options

<< <i>It almost looks like a rune. Never heard of them turning up in America though. >>

"almost" being the key word , there are no runes in the norse rune alphabet that look remotely like it.
  • Options

<< <i>Have been trying to respond to this thread since friday but have been waiting to get my password (which i, of course, forgot) since then. ANYway, I believe there is a strong chance this is a French Colonial lead cloth seal c. 1700s. I bought one about eight years ago, a piece found in the Detroit River area. Mine was also lead, oblong, and mine had etched in numbers on the back (though yours looked like etched in mystery markings). Also, mine had a tree design on it with a French legend. To my eyes, I think I see what MIGHT be a fleur de lis on the face of your piece but it's hard to say. >>

there is history of the French being in the area. Do you have any pics of the piece you bought?
  • Options
    unfortunately no and my scanner is on the blitz. on the obverse is a tree and words "regle Montauban.." and something else. On the back, etched in deep crude numbers is "1247"..and being a lead cloth seal it has a kind of moveable clasp (which I dont see on your piece). Mine is much more dark grey than your piece. Of course, as some people said, you can't rule out a kind of crude gaming token-- which could also be French Colonial. But if that is a fleur de lis on your piece, I would say its probably a lead cloth seal
  • Options
    This looks to be one solid piece about 1/8th inch thick.
  • Options
  • Options
    oops (per the above post)

Mine is also pretty thick and heavy-feeling though i don't have the exact measurements
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that definitely looks like an old lead seal to me. I've found a few- I like the patina that old lead gets.

I found a really cool Rev War era one from a city in Holland that shipped wool for blankets to the Continental Army. It's got a fairly long inscription on it. But usually they were a lot simpler, as in this case.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I speculated on this further, and posted a picture of my seal, over on your World Coin Forum clone to this thread.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.