Home Metal Detecting
Options

I put the coil to the soil yesterday, finally.

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was hot. Steamy hot, as Augusts here always are. The skeeters and gnats were awful, and singin' in my ears. (I'd forgotten to bring some repellent).

But the City had taken up the sidewalks for a block in Old Town, so it was one of those limited windows of opportunity to detect some dirt that had been covered since the pre-pulltab era.

I wished I'd had my small 4.5" "sniper" coil handy, but I couldn't find it. In some of these spots, a standard 8.5" coil is almost too big- one doesn't get very good target separation.

The newly-naked dirt was quite clean, though- almost sterile.

I found only two targets.

The first was a coin, and I knew right away it would be an old coin. I could see it was a small cent and I had visions of high-grade early Indians floating in my mind for a moment, but it was just a Wheatie. Not even a particularly early Wheatie- it was a 1944- just about as common a date as there is. It had razor sharp rims, though, and was plainly a new Uncirculated coin when lost. I guess that give some indication of when those sidewalks were last put down.

The other target was a small brass washer. There were one or two iron rusty-crusties like nails on the surface, but I was discriminating the iron out, so the detector didn't beep on them.

It was not an exciting outing, really, and it brought to mind how out of shape and couch-potatoed I've become, but hey... I got out, right? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments