Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you avoid ebay listings by sellers who can't spell?

I know I do. Whenever I see a listing for a "Mohammed" Ali autographed item, I automatically assume the seller is a scumbag and the auto is a poorly executed fake...and even in the unlikely event that the auto is legit, how in the world is this numbskull going to manage to do a decent job of packaging and shipping this item to me when he can't even spell the guy's name? Am I just being racist here, or does everyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure you don't mean racist here..

I have no idea what race you are either so I am guess you mean to say prejudiced?

I would say it all depends on the sellers feedback.. typo may work in your favor
    but your packaging comment actually makes some sense
  • Options

<< <i>I am pretty sure you don't mean racist here..

I have no idea what race you are either so I am guess you mean to say prejudiced?

I would say it all depends on the sellers feedback.. typo may work in your favor
    but your packaging comment actually makes some sense >>

Yes, I definitely meant to say racist, and yes, I know the difference between racist and prejudiced.
  • Options
    and what race is making these numbskull listings?

I am no saint, and am as guilty as anyone of having said something
    stupid, if not off color, but to go on a message board and put that out there?
    you are being awfully ignorant here.

obviously you think a specific race when you see a poorly worded listing..
    I am curious who you think that group is?
  • Options

<< <i>and what race is making these numbskull listings?

I am no saint, and am as guilty as anyone of having said something
    stupid, if not off color, but to go on a message board and put that out there?
    you are being awfully ignorant here.

obviously you think a specific race when you see a poorly worded listing..
    I am curious who you think that group is? >>

I was asking the people here if they thought I was just being racist.

Where did I say that I thought a certain race or races couldn't spell?
  • Options
    why would anyone think that is racist..? you obviously do not know the definition of prejudice like you stated you did
    to make that comment.

you are implying that you feel that some race is guilty of the poor listings
    other wise you wouldn't need to know if it was a racist thing on your part.
    You could say.. am I just being prejudiced?

prejudice def.
  • Options

<< <i>why would anyone think that is racist..? you obviously do not know the definition of prejudice like you stated you did
    to make that comment.

you are implying that you feel that some race is guilty of the poor listings
    other wise you wouldn't need to know if it was a racist thing on your part.
    You could say.. am I just being prejudiced?

prejudice def. >>

Again, I know the difference, and no, I'm not implying anything. I asked if I was just being racist, to which a simple "yes" or "no" answer would totally suffice. You're clearly just on one right now.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with oakesy25 here. How are you being racist? Honestly, I don't get your point of view if you are singling out one race for mispelled titles. Which race are you thinking about?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with oakesy25 here. How are you being racist? Honestly, I don't get your point of view if you are singling out one race for mispelled titles. Which race are you thinking about? >>

Yeah, I thought it was pretty darned obvious that I was just joking around when I typed that part, but I'm seeing more and more that most of the posters here take themselves and whatever gets posted here waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    In answer to the original OP's question:

Yes. I avoid auction listings that contain misspellings. Typos and misspellings reflect poorly on the seller....especially since there's usually time to correct them!

Nick
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't get your point of view if you are singling out one race for mispelled titles >>

You misspelled "misspelled"

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    if you know what you're looking for, typos and misspellings are a terrific way to pick up items on the cheap.

I never thought to link poor spelling/typing skills to poor packaging/shipping skills. The OP isn't racist, he's a genius.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that people would go so far as to "stay away" from misspelled titles and such. More opportunity for me to pay less. Thank you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with oakesy25 here. How are you being racist? Honestly, I don't get your point of view if you are singling out one race for mispelled titles. Which race are you thinking about? >>

Yeah, I thought it was pretty darned obvious that I was just joking around when I typed that part, but I'm seeing more and more that most of the posters here take themselves and whatever gets posted here waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. >>

I didn't respond because of your initial post. I responded due to your ongoing responses in which you kept repeating the "racist" concept. If this was a joke, I don't get it. Why keep up the idea that you did think race has something to do with it? Why derail your own post?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah, I thought it was pretty darned obvious that I was just joking around when I typed that part, but I'm seeing more and more that most of the posters here take themselves and whatever gets posted here waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. >>

I didn't respond because of your initial post. I responded due to your ongoing responses in which you kept repeating the "racist" concept. If this was a joke, I don't get it. Why keep up the idea that you did think race has something to do with it? Why derail your own post? >>

I thought my ongoing responses made it even more clear that I was not referring to any particular race and that I clearly know what the word "racist" means, which should have made it abundantly clear that I was joking in my initial post, but whatever.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didn't respond because of your initial post. I responded due to your ongoing responses in which you kept repeating the "racist" concept. If this was a joke, I don't get it. Why keep up the idea that you did think race has something to do with it? Why derail your own post? >>

I thought my ongoing responses made it even more clear that I was not referring to any particular race and that I clearly know what the word "racist" means, which should have made it abundantly clear that I was joking in my initial post, but whatever. >>

Why continue the joke?
    >

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought my ongoing responses made it even more clear that I was not referring to any particular race and that I clearly know what the word "racist" means, which should have made it abundantly clear that I was joking in my initial post, but whatever. >>

Why continue the joke? >>

Because I felt like it. Why not pull that stick outta your bootyhole and throw it in the garbage?
  • Options
    Let me get this correct, you are accusing "us" of taking posts too seriously.
    >

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I misspell several words due to some eye condition however my selling record is 100%.As long as I can understand what the seller is attempting to get across I could care less how he or she spells.

This post is an insult to many fine sellers and should be ignored.Selling and packaging have NOTHInG in common.

I had to correct about 10 errors on this small phrase does this make me a scumbag seller??????????????
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, many ebay scammers will intentionally misspell items and use silly language as a way to make a potential buyer believe that they could possibly be getting a big bargain from a seller who doesn't know what they are doing...when too often these ebay sellers actually know exactly what they are doing...and that is trying to reel in a fish with some ebay bait.
  • Options

<< <i>I misspell several words due to some eye condition however my selling record is 100%.As long as I can understand what the seller is attempting to get across I could care less how he or she spells.

This post is an insult to many fine sellers and should be ignored.Selling and packaging have NOTHInG in common.

I had to correct about 10 errors on this small phrase does this make me a scumbag seller?????????????? >>

Nobody said it automatically made you a scumbag seller. I said that I automatically assume, and usually that's a pretty safe assumption, IMO. Spelling and packaging have nothing in common aside from the fact that someone who can't even manage to spell the name attached to the autograph he's trying to sell PROBABLY can't manage to do a decent job of packaging either. In your case, it sounds like your eye condition really affects your ability to type, but in most peoples' cases, laziness is the problem. Sure, there's a high school dropout here and there who ends up making something of themself, but generally speaking high school dropouts are a bunch of losers.
  • Options

<< <i>In my opinion, many ebay scammers will intentionally misspell items and use silly language as a way to make a potential buyer believe that they could possibly be getting a big bargain from a seller who doesn't know what they are doing...when too often these ebay sellers actually know exactly what they are doing...and that is trying to reel in a fish with some ebay bait. >>

I've seen that many times as well. The best way to lure someone in is to make them think they're getting a great deal, and the more they feel like they're robbing you...the less inclined they'll be to scrutinize the sale.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I see a lot of sellers misspell Gale Sayers cards, calling him Gayle.

Same with Bobby Layne items, you see Bobby Lane all the time which is incorrect of course.

I don't think some of these errors are done on purpose or to mislead anyone or with a racist lean.
    They're just honest typos.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the autograph on the item is misspelled I tend to be suspicious.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but generally speaking high school dropouts are a bunch of losers. >>

Yes we can tell.

Good for you.
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828

<< <i>If the autograph on the item is misspelled I tend to be suspicious. >>

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the autograph on the item is misspelled I tend to be suspicious. >>

You're killing me Ralph.

Nice job with "suspicious" by the way. Always a tough one.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'd buy from a seller
    who is a bad speller
    but not Penn and Teller
    or a dog called Old Yeller
    who ate my Bob Feller

card.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    whose spelling was so bad he said f$%# it.
    He would list on Ebay
    and The Business would say
    his spelling is so bad he could suck it.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is thank God for spell check in my case.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>There once was a man from Nantucket.
    He would list on Ebay
    his spelling is so bad he could suck it. >>

• Options
    Morning,

Ok, lets see theBusiness has insulted 1. Some Race or Race(s), 2. High School dropouts, can we go for the Trifecta ???

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There once was a man from Nantucket.
    He would list on Ebay
    his spelling is so bad he could suck it. >>

+1 for the Limerick.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    this thread is hugh...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this thread is hugh... >>

I never knew Hugh Hefner couldn't spell.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I think you are racist.. In fact I think the government should use our tax dollars to subsidies the ebay listing fees for the entire race of stupid or lazy people who misspell words in the titles of their auctions.

Joking aside... I love auctions with key words misspelled. It usually results in a nice discount to buyer.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I misspell several words due to some eye condition >>

How does an eye condition cause you to misspell some words but not others? Just wondering.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I've purchased many Carl Ripkin cards, I don't have a problem with it.

Honestly, I do tend to stay away from sellers who preach about Jesus in their descriptions. Does that make me a religious bigot? Maybe. I mean I have no hatred or intolerance against religion, I just choose to ignore it.
  • Options
    I have the name "McGuire" in my Mark McGwire search. It comes up every now and then.

Back in the day, I used to get good deals on parts for my Nissan 300zx when some sellers would misspell it as "300 zx".
    >

• Options

<< <i>I have the name "McGuire" in my Mark McGwire search. It comes up every now and then. >>

I'll bet!

209 results found for
    "mark mcguire"

12 results found for
    "mark mcqwire"

10 results found for
    "mark mcquire"

13 results found for
    "mark mcwire"

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Link

+1
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

goofbay spelling tool:

mark mcgwire

mcgwire

My faves:

christian louboutin

louboutin

christian dior

Expensive fashion items are notorious for misspellings; bargains abound.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    70 results found for "loose weight"

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. >>

To the racist part.

No to the avoiding their purple hides.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I think it goes without saying - but there is no way this thread ends well. It might not be long before the Mods of the message boards put a padlock on this one.

**post checked for spelling and grammar**

Mods is an abbreviation for moderators.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    There's a big difference between spelling errors and grammatical ones.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Feedback is more important to me, but like it or not people are judged by the words they use and how they use them.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I usualy aviod threds bi dimwites butt I guses I mised won
  • Options
    More than misspelled words in titles, I take stock in how well a seller can construct an email. If a seller doesn't use complete sentences, correct punctuation, and correct word usage, then I am sometimes pursuaded to stay away.
    >

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If the mods deleted the 1975 Mini thread from the Set Registry forum, then this one shouldn't stand a chance.