Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Macho Man Custom 1974 Topps baseball card in the Reds Hall of Fame

Stadium1978Stadium1978 Posts: 173 ✭✭
edited January 26, 2018 11:07AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
NEW UPDATE:

Somebody in 2016 claimed in this thread that I'm not the one who made the 1974 Topps Macho Man card. More details on page 2 of this thread.

The only proof I have is from my original Facebook post in 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/TheStadiumBC/photos/a.171914893480.116472.166857613480/10150268089278481/?type=3&theater

There isn't any fame or fortune to be made from this, so I'm not mad about it or anything like that. It is weird that someone else would take credit for my work though (and kind of flattering at the same time).

Update:

A guy on Facebook recently shared an image of the 1974 Topps Macho Man custom I posted here 5 years ago. In leass than a week it's had over 9,000 shares. While reading through the comments of people debating whether the card is authentic or not, one person said that they saw it at the Reds Hall of Fame. I did a Google search, and found an image of the display.

Apparently my custom Macho Man baseball card was on display at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame! How cool is that!?

Macho Man Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Display

Original Post:

What if Macho Man had a baseball card?

This was my first attempt at colorizing a photo so I realize it's not perfect. There is very little information regarding Poffo's minor league experience. As a result, I was unable to find complete stats for RBIs and two of the fun facts are simply thinly veiled jokes about Mach Man's wrestling career. As usual, any proofread comments are appreciated. The Randy Poffo auto is supposedly authentic although I have no way of confirming that.

Comments

• I wanted to give this one more try before I give up on comments.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I think that's pretty darn sharp...Dpeck will dig it I'm sure.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    That is a great effort!

Nice job!image

Robert
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Dropping his elbow. image
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dropping his elbow. image >>

My favorite part of the back. image
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Cool work.. Is that really a pic of him in a baseball uniform? I wouldn't even recognize him. I knew he played baseball but never saw much info him as a baseball player. Very cool card. It would make a sweet insert
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    He started out in the Cardinal organization. This may be an earlier pic. He looks like he's destined for wrestling.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I believe what I'm supposed to say is "ooooooh yeah!"
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    That's some excellent custom work, there. Congratulations!

• << <i>Is that really a pic of him in a baseball uniform? >>

It sure is.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm glad people enjoy this stuff as much as I do.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this at work today and saw no pics. Great card and really cool back to it.

Nice work!
  • I updated the OP with a 1982 Wrestling All-Stars Card for Vince McMahon Sr.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful work. I would buy a Poffo Cardinals throw back jersey.
    I would wear it as often as my Lakers Fletch jersey.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    Man that is awesome!!!

• << <i>Man that is awesome!!! >>

I was hoping you would like it. Is there anybody of note that's missing from the All Stars Set that should have been made in your opinion?
    I think Roddy Piper should have been in there. Kevin Sullivan would have been a nice addition. The Fabulous Freebids were big at the time so Michael P.S Hayes would have made since in the set.

There are a few more for sure.
  • Loved Roddy Piper as a kid. Hacksaw Jim Duggan was one of my favorites.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    woooooooooo i wanna see a fantasy card 82 wrestling all stars the rock
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    That Macho Man baseball card is freaking sweet! You should print one up and have him sign it!

Too soon?
  • Stadium1978Stadium1978 Posts: 173 ✭✭

<< <i>That Macho Man baseball card is freaking sweet! You should print one up and have him sign it!

Too soon? >>

Too late. image

I've added a Hogan card to the OP in the style of a 1986 Carnation.
    That Hogan turned out fantastic!!!

Is that something you could actually make on hard card stock?

<< <i>That Hogan turned out fantastic!!!

Is that something you could actually make on hard card stock? >>

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not into actually printing these things. I'm always disappointed with how they look. I just enjoy them on the screen.
    My Macho Man card showed up in an article about Randy on Bleacher Report.

Link

<< <i>My Macho Man card showed up in an article about Randy on Bleacher Report.

Link >>

Some of the people that commented on the article clearly think that the card is real.
    Someone should make a few of these cards. They would sell.
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Hello Stadium1978, could you send me the scan of the Hogan carnation pic to my personal e-mail? I would like to try to get a card made.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    That was a great article on Randy Poffo and his family. The card work is outstanding! I have the fortune/misfortune to be the brother of one of his first partners in the ring, and mentioned early in the article, Rip Rogers. The punishment they put their bodies through are unreal. My brother finally had his hip replaced (one more and a knee to go). No concussion deals in this occupation. For the true restling fan if you want a laugh, and the truth as well, check out his twitter acct: Hustler2754. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the reply...just wanted to share.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card and article about the Macho Man-- he was always my favorite. That tribute clip took me right back to childhood when I lived for "Saturday Night's Main Event" each week! LOL. Great stuff!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone should make a few of these cards. They would sell. >>

Not sure if these are yours, but yes, they do sell

1974 Randy Poffo on eBay
    My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"

• << <i>Hello Stadium1978, could you send me the scan of the Hogan carnation pic to my personal e-mail? I would like to try to get a card made. >>

There isn't a scan of the card. It's a fantasy card made with Photoshop.

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone should make a few of these cards. They would sell. >>

Not sure if these are yours, but yes, they do sell

1974 Randy Poffo on eBay >>

I can assure you that I am NOT the person selling these. It looks like he's sold $135.00 worth of them so far. I can't imagine that it's very legal to sell fake baseball cards. Thank you for pointing it out.
    Hello Stadium. I know it's not a card, but I was wondering if you could send me a scan of the photoshop pic that you did. Thanks, Greg
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• << <i>Hello Stadium. I know it's not a card, but I was wondering if you could send me a scan of the photoshop pic that you did. Thanks, Greg >>

Sorry about that, it was the word 'scan' that threw me off.

I'm sorry, but I don't release full resolution images of my cards because I don't actually want them to get printed out. I've worked in a baseball card store for nearly 20 years, and I don't want to add to the number of fake cards in the world.

In light of the "Macho Man Incident," I'm even less likely to do it now. In fact, I may stop making these images altogether, or maybe I'll have to add an obnoxious watermark to make it more clear that they're not real.
    I understand, thanks anyway. I just wanted to get one signed by Hulk. I don't want to print cards. By the way, you did a great job.

Hogan custom

I am not sure if this was created by the OP but I thought it was cool and snagged it. If so please make some of the cards that started this thread!

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hogan custom

I am not sure if this was created by the OP but I thought it was cool and snagged it. If so please make some of the cards that started this thread! >>

Cool image.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That was a great article on Randy Poffo and his family. The card work is outstanding! I have the fortune/misfortune to be the brother of one of his first partners in the ring, and mentioned early in the article, Rip Rogers. The punishment they put their bodies through are unreal. My brother finally had his hip replaced (one more and a knee to go). No concussion deals in this occupation. For the true restling fan if you want a laugh, and the truth as well, check out his twitter acct: Hustler2754. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the reply...just wanted to share. >>

Awesome! I loved your brother's work when he was in Georgia in 84/85.
  • Update:

A guy on Facebook recently shared an image of the 1974 Topps Macho Man custom I posted here 5 years ago. In leass than a week it's had over 9,000 shares. While reading through the comments of people debating whether the card is authentic or not, one person said that they saw it at the Reds Hall of Fame. I did a Google search, and found an image of the display.

Apparently my custom Macho Man baseball card was on display at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame! How cool is that!?

Macho Man Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Display
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Used with your permission?? Any credit given to you on the display if not with your permission?
  • Customs like this really make me wish Topps could do a Fan Favorites wrestling set. I would love to have nice, old-school style trading cards of wrestlers from the 1950s to the mid-1980s. While wrestlers from the 80s-90s seem to be dropping like flies, there are still a lot of guys from earlier years alive that would probably welcome a few $$$ to sign cards.
  • Originally posted by: brendanb438
    Used with your permission?? Any credit given to you on the display if not with your permission?

They really don't need my permission, and that's perfectly fine with me! I think it's cool they have had it on display!

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    It'd be cool if Topps did a handful of custom cards from fans each year and included it into one of their sets. Do a contest or something to submit them. I've seen a bunch of great customs on this board over the years.

Congrats on getting your card into the Reds HOF! I think you should still contact them though, maybe they'll throw you some swag or a pair of tickets for your efforts.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Mick Foley's Facebook page, with a photo of the '74 Poffo card:

OHHH YEAHHH!

I knew that Randy Savage had been a minor league baseball player, but this is the first time I've ever seen this card. Pretty cool, huh?
    I haven't talked to much about Savage over the years, and in fact, on a personal level, I barely knew him - meeting him a few times when I did circa 1986 WWF squash matches, and a few times over the years in passing - but he was actually my favorite wrestler when I broke into the business in 1985.
    I remember being captivated by stories of Randy's near-mythical feats of heroism/daring in his early years. Sure, I'd seen Snuka's amazing dive off the top of the cage at Madison Square Garden, but according to Brian Hildebrand (a great friend, best known as WCW referee Mark Curtis) Savage had dropped elbows from equally impressive heights at house shows in Kentucky and Tennessee. I looked up to him to the point where one of the main knocks against me in the late 80s was that my interviews sounded a little bit too much like his – kind of like Randy Savage-light. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery he, I hope Randy was indeed flattered if he happened to catch one of those late 80s Cactus Jack interviews.
    Besides, if you are going to emulate someone, it might as well be an all-time great like Randy Savage.
    I recently had a great talk with Randy's brother Lanny, and I hung on every word – as he explained how his brother - who was a natural in the ring - went through the process of transforming from a shy, reluctant interview into one of the finest microphone men in the business.
    Let me know if you have a favorite Macho Man moment. I've got plenty… we can compare notes later.
  • @Stadium1978 said:
    Originally posted by: brendanb438

They really don't need my permission, and that's perfectly fine with me! I think it's cool they have had it on display!

Sorry to gravedig, but just came across this thread. Hate to burst your bubble, but the card that's in the Reds HOF isn't your image, nor was it sourced from yours. I know the guy that made it from scratch and printed it, and he busted his behind on it. Sourced the signature from a family member, and scoured for any stats he could find. I'm not trying to belittle your work, which is amazing. I just wanted to clear things up a bit. Strange coincidence, for sure, but the physical card is definitely the work of another person.

• GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@Jshortt said:
    Sorry to gravedig, but just came across this thread. Hate to burst your bubble, but the card that's in the Reds HOF isn't >your image, nor was it sourced from yours. I know the guy that made it from scratch and printed it, and he busted his >behind on it. Sourced the signature from a family member, and scoured for any stats he could find. I'm not trying to >belittle your work, which is amazing. I just wanted to clear things up a bit. Strange coincidence, for sure, but the physical >card is definitely the work of another person.

Any proof to back that up?

I actually could see two people coincidentally creating the same card, since it's the only(?) photo of him in a Reds uniform, and it's a photo from 1974.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 10:16AM

@mlbfan2 said:
    I actually could see two people coincidentally creating the same card, since it's the only(?) photo of him in a Reds uniform, and it's a photo from 1974.

I have no opinion about the original creator of the card in question. However, if you go to the first post in this thread there is a picture of the OPs card. If you click the LINK, it will bring you to the card in the reds HOF. The l/r centering looks significantly different.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

@Dboneesq said:

@mlbfan2 said:

I agree with the front of the card ... but the back? (I have no opinion about the original creator of the card in question.)

Yeah - just the front. If the backs are the same, then someone is lying. :o

• @Grimster said:

@Jshortt said:
    Sorry to gravedig, but just came across this thread. Hate to burst your bubble, but the card that's in the Reds HOF isn't >your image, nor was it sourced from yours. I know the guy that made it from scratch and printed it, and he busted his >behind on it. Sourced the signature from a family member, and scoured for any stats he could find. I'm not trying to >belittle your work, which is amazing. I just wanted to clear things up a bit. Strange coincidence, for sure, but the physical >card is definitely the work of another person.

Any proof to back that up?

I have 5 of the physical cards that were gifted to me by the guy that made them, and the one at the HOF as well as the signed ball were donated by me.

@Jshortt said:

I have 5 of the physical cards that were gifted to me by the guy that made them, and the one at the HOF as well as the signed ball were donated by me.

Could you post a scan of the back of the card?