Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1907 High Relief Double Eagle....can you believe someone would wear this around their neck!

Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Sure, some people see coins for what they are... coins, or in this case, one-ounce of gold. Not everyone sees the artificial value of their coins. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I do believe that this was done all the time. Maybe not with $20 gold pieces but with
    many, many key and dear coins.
    My Great-grandparents were give a presentation 1870-cc dollar from Carson City Mint director
    Abe Curry. It was money to them and not a numismatic item. Fortunately Abe had the dollar
    engraved with their initials so they kept it. But, unfortunately preservation was not at the top
    of the list and my Great-grandmother kept it in her change purse from 1870 to her death in
    1933. That's 63 years of wear in a purse. Then her daughter, my Great-aunt, put it in a bracelet
    and wore it everyday! She passed in 1960 or so.
    Values were different regarding money/coins in 1870 or 1907.
    bobimage
    Photo by Todd (blu62vette)
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure!

When these pieces were issued, as it is today, they were considered to be great works of art. Therefore using it as jewelry back in the day is not at all far fetched.

This coin, despite the problems will probably bring a price close to $10,000. The nice ones (Mint State) are now selling for $20,000 and up.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the 1980 boom, when the market was awash in money, I saw a few circ. High Reliefs around dealers' necks. It was a cool thing to do back then.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when they were issued they were just $20. I think even some Stellas were used as jewlery. They were great looking coins.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>During the 1980 boom, when the market was awash in money, I saw a few circ. High Reliefs around dealers' necks. It was a cool thing to do back then. >>

Classic case of monkey see - monkey do.
    Pardon me, I gotta run and get another tat.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a 5-6k coin nonetheless
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

Not a high relief but I've been wearing a Saint for years. Yeah, yeah, I know it's gaudy and tasteless, but hey, that's me!!!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Not a high relief but I've been wearing a Saint for years. Yeah, yeah, I know it's gaudy and tasteless, but hey, that's me!!! >>

...very nice coin just the same. and at least it doesn't have a big hole drilled into it! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Back when they were issued they were just $20. I think even some Stellas were used as jewlery. They were great looking coins. >>

The High Relief $20 gold pieces weren't "just $20" for very long. From what I've read they were bringing $30 apiece a few months after they were issued. If you lived in "East Podunk" when you had a small town bank, those institutions never got any. If you wanted one, you had to pay to for it, even in 1908.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Nowadays, some thug would knock you in the head for it.

I know, cynical.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the 1980 boom, when the market was awash in money, I saw a few circ. High Reliefs around dealers' necks. It was a cool thing to do back then.

I had more class than that. I put an 1807 Quarter Eagle into a diamond-studded gold ring. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It was a modern.

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Yes, I believe and I saw it.

In the mid 1970s when I was a producer at CBS News in New York, one of the executive producers (I don't want to mention her name) wore one around her neck in a gold bezel on a gold chain. I stopped her and told her that she had a valuable coin "in that bezel." She told me she inherited it and wore it for the sentiment it represented. Otherwise she didn't care.

Some of you might be familiar with my own personal story...

When I was a kid -- like 10 years old -- 1962 -- my grandfather gave to my mother one of the first three silver dollars that my great grandfather was paid with when he first came to this country.

It is was a nice bright morgan. I remember looking at it, and then checking my red book (yes I collected coins). I remember saying to my mom that it had some value, but I dont recall what the red book said.

I asked her if I could have it for my collection.

"No," she said. Nehru styles were in then. She had it dipped in gold, had a gold mount soldered on it, and she wore it on a chain. She wore it for years, if I recall.

When my Mom passed away about ten years ago, my sister found "the silver dollar on the chain" in a box. She asked me if I remembered it. Yes, I said.

I looked at it closely when I got it. 1884-S. Now covered in dipped gold, scratched, dinged, with a gold hoop soldered on.

If only Nehru jackets weren't the rage...
  • Options

<< <i>During the 1980 boom, when the market was awash in money, I saw a few circ. High Reliefs around dealers' necks. It was a cool thing to do back then.

I had more class than that. I put an 1807 Quarter Eagle into a diamond-studded gold ring. image >>

You had a Honduras 20 Pesos around your neck, right?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Back in the day, Armand Champa wore a $50 PacPan round on a chain.image

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options

<< <i>Back in the day, Armand Champa wore a $50 PacPan round on a chain.image

3Mark >>

He could have gotten an octagonal and made ear rings for his wife!!!!

Now that would be CLASS!!!!!

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Not really much different from other kinds of coin jewerly. They are just modern coins at the time.

Becky
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    And moderns are just widgets right?
    LOL
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure!

When these pieces were issued, as it is today, they were considered to be great works of art. Therefore using it as jewelry back in the day is not at all far fetched.

This coin, despite the problems will probably bring a price close to $10,000. The nice ones (Mint State) are now selling for $20,000 and up. >>

<< <i>Its a 5-6k coin nonetheless >>

In looking at the seller's feedback, it seems the seller just bought this coin in an eBay auction for $4,750 from qualityrarecoins (aka BNB). Perhaps the seller thinks he can do better in another eBay auction just days later???? Seems like eBay is making money off this coin either way image
  • Options
    Liberty . . . In God We Trust . . . not just words - A way of life
  • Options
    Not in the same price range, but am I the only one who owns (and wears) mercury dime cuff links? Also, my wife has a 1923 silver dollar in a necklace mount. It belonged to her mother.
    Liberty . . . In God We Trust . . . not just words - A way of life
  • Options

<< <i>image

Not a high relief but I've been wearing a Saint for years. Yeah, yeah, I know it's gaudy and tasteless, but hey, that's me!!! >>

very gangsta
  • Options

<< <i>Not in the same price range, but am I the only one who owns (and wears) mercury dime cuff links? Also, my wife has a 1923 silver dollar in a necklace mount. It belonged to her mother. >>

What's a cuff link? image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holed and Creative has probably seen it all.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    What do you think all those coins you see with holes drilled through them are used for?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file