Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question regarding a Civil War Token, scarcity and value

Just wondering how common/uncommon this particular one might be, and a value range. Thanks
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The town for Yankee Robinson has been changed in the new research literature from Cincinnati, Ohio to New York State, but the Fuld listing is for, Fuld number OH 165 EZ-9a. The token is a common R-2, and probably wholesales in the $15 to $20 range. The piece appears to have been re-colored, which could lower the value somewhat.

Yankee Robinson was a 19th century showman who was similar to P.T. Barnum. Like some show business people he was not the sharpest guy when it came to finances. He made and lost at least two fortunes, and ended his days as penniless barker in the Ringling Brothers Circus. In his hay day, however, Robinson was very successful and quite well known in 19th century America.

There are many cent sized varieties of Yankee Robinson tokens which were issued during and after the Civil War. The most popular one shows a caricature of him wearing a top hat with a rifle over his shoulder. The legend reads, “Yankee Robinson, the great comedian.” The reverse of the piece is similar as the reverse of your token. That piece does bring $5 to $10 more than your piece despite the fact that it is just as common, because it is more interesting.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    BillJones, thanks for the info, it's actually a light chocolate brown, my imaging always seems to over accentuate the red.
    Thanks, Mark
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice the difference where the finger points. Its a different die.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file