Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Awesome Day!

So made my weekly trip to my bank to check out what kindof half dollars made there way into the bank over the past week. I was pleased to hear 4 rolls came through and I swiftly picked them up. I swiflty cut into the rolls and was thrilled to find:

1 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
7 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars
15 1966069 Kennedy Half Dollars

Took em down to my local B&M and quickly turned the group into $185 in trade/cash. Picked up a MS65RB 1916 cent (with awesome toning) and enough left over to take the wife to dinner image

Happy hunting.

Comments

• Options
    Great find!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Thats great. I picked up 10 rolls of halves yesterday and got one 40% and I was happy image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! I have my fingers crossed because I am going to the bank on Monday to pick up $500 worth of halves! And then I will probably do it again at the end of the week as well. It will be my first time trying this sort of thing. Fingers are crossed.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth a few flowers to the teller, 'eh? Just make sure the wife delivers them!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Congrats!
  • Options
    This is the second time I've had luck from this bank, back in may I found 5 silvers out of one roll but did not expect anything like this haul. I'm usually super excited to get one!

The first roll was the real winner, when I pulled the coins out and so sooooo much beautiful white edging I knew I had a winner image 15 coins out of the first roll were silver!
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    Awesome day is right! I especially like the idea that you turned the silver into a nice numismatic coin (and took the wife out to dinner, of course).
  • Options
    I'm pretty awful with pictures but here's a shot of the 1916 cent I picked up.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It seems "You took the better half out" tonight!image Heh heh----------BigE

edited to say----You sure that cent is 65?
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pretty awful with pictures but here's a shot of the 1916 cent I picked up. >>

Hopefully it'll grade MS65.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I'm pretty awful with pictures but here's a shot of the 1916 cent I picked up>>

Good for you, probably hundreds of rolls, and 4 40% halves.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

Hopefully it'll grade MS65

I hope so too, I paid $100 for the coin which puts it at full retail for MS64RB. The dealer I worked with is a super decent guy who mentioned that if I sent it out and I didn't get MS64RB he'd drop me credit towards something else. If it hits MS65RB the "book" value is at $175. Either way I love the toning on the coin image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at my bank 3 - 4 times a week for business, and they never have any half dollars whenever I've asked...perhaps around ten times I've asked the past year or so.

I guess I can just ask them to do this and see what they say...but in general, can you ask a bank to order you in say $500 or $1,000 in halves...and will they do it?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm at my bank 3 - 4 times a week for business, and they never have any half dollars whenever I've asked...perhaps around ten times I've asked the past year or so.

I guess I can just ask them to do this and see what they say...but in general, can you ask a bank to order you in say $500 or $1,000 in halves...and will they do it? >>

Checked two banks on Friday. They were out. Many other miners to compete with, I'm thinking.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm at my bank 3 - 4 times a week for business, and they never have any half dollars whenever I've asked...perhaps around ten times I've asked the past year or so.

I guess I can just ask them to do this and see what they say...but in general, can you ask a bank to order you in say $500 or $1,000 in halves...and will they do it? >>

Checked two banks on Friday. They were out. Many other miners to compete with, I'm thinking. >>

I'm gonna ask them...it seems one member in this thread may have been successful in doing something like that - I guess the worst thing that can happen is they say "No" - LOL
  • Options

<< <i>So made my weekly trip to my bank to check out what kindof half dollars made there way into the bank over the past week. I was pleased to hear 4 rolls came through and I swiftly picked them up. I swiflty cut into the rolls and was thrilled to find:

1 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    7 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars
    15 1966069 Kennedy Half Dollars

Took em down to my local B&M and quickly turned the group into $185 in trade/cash. Picked up a MS65RB 1916 cent (with awesome toning) and enough left over to take the wife to dinner image

Happy hunting. >>

My name is BHO and I'm an American.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I better not say much about where I go, because I know another member of the forum lives in my area.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish, just once, I could find some silver in the rolls of halves I get from the bank. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    <<< My name is BHO and I'm an American. >>>

I hear ya and of course some internet posts should be taken with a grain of salt...but I figure what the yell...it wouldn't cost me any money, all it would cost me is a waste of time...and sometimes I already waste time quite well in other pursuits. LOL
  • Options
    I'll be honest, just about everytime I go into a bank I ask the tellers if they have any. 75% of the time they don't have any, 15% of the time they have a handful in their tray and 10% of the time they have between 1 and 5 rolls. They often mention that they can order me a box ($500) to which I decline.

They funny thing, to me at least, is that I'm in Tucson and we have like, 6 or 7 coin shops, two of which are less then 2 miles from the Chase Bank I found these coins. I guess I'm just going to bank of families rolling coins up that they don't know what to do with and dropping em off at the bank!

It's funny, I've bought 50 rolls of halfs off of ebay and never found a single silver, I've bought another 20 from banks and right now average almost 2 silvers per roll. I know the odds will even out but I'm done with buying rolls off of ebay.
  • Options
    Boxes suck for halves, take it from someone who goes through three or four boxes a week.

My best finds were just from being in the right place at the right time and getting lucky.

See here...

If you wanna get into roll searching, the easiest way to make money is sorting out copper cents... silver is super hit and miss, to the point where I'd advise only trying it for a week or two and seeing how you do. I've been at it over a year, and have pulled maybe $5k in silver from circulation, but when you factor in time and gas, I'm pretty much at a breakeven point.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not only internet posts, but TV shows as well, as far as a grain of salt. I guess it was around a year ago, I'm forgetting some of the details because it was so silly, but it was something to the effect of the show's cast searching for some bandit's hidden treasure in the West somewhere, dating to around 1890...and the show's cast claimed they found part of it through various methods. They showed a "live" dig and they dug up some small gold bar worth around 5K they said and a number of silver dollars. Well they showed fairly closeup the gold bar and silver dollars and while they weren't dumb enough to show older dated silver dollars past 1890, they did stupidly show silver dollars, in which they cleaned off the dirt, and the silver dollars from around 1890 looked like they had at least 30 years of wear on them - LOL...obviously they planted the "treasure" there themselves for the so-called "live" dig, but likely most show's viewers wouldn't have noticed that about the silver dollars. LOL

I've searched since the 1970's probably thousands of various denomination rolls, and have never found anything significant...so I understand the long odds involved...especially with silver selling for what it is now. Not to say something good can't be found...but what the yell...takes away from some of the boredom when watching a ballgame with a pitcher's duel. LOL
  • Options
    -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file