Home Metal Detecting
Options

I'm going to St. Thomas! But now the dilemma...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
I am taking an opportunity to go to St. Thomas for a week with my good buddy. But, the question is, should I bring my water detector? It's not because I think it'll take up too much time -since it's just us two guys, it'll be different than going with a girlfriend.

The problem is that the with airline we're taking, it would be $28 to check the bag each way - $56 total. Do you think it'd be worth $56 to detect there? Plus, I don't have a hard case for the detector, so I'd have to put the detector and the scoop into a duffle bag.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!

HH all.

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    can you rent one when you get there?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    St. Thomas has a lot of nice beaches. Not much else to do except play tourist, eat, drink and look at the ocean. Would be better if you could get a hard case for your MD...the baggage handlers are not gentle. The potential is good, but I do not know if there are a lot of MD'rs among the locals. Jewelry is a big thing there, so could be a lot of 'treasure in the sand'. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if you could contact some one there and find out if they rent them. if not bring yours. just an idea
  • Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    I took my detector on a plane a few years ago. I broke it down and put it in a hard suitcase padded with pants shirts and such. When I arrived and started unpacking I noticed that the detector made a rattling sound when I picked it up. The suitcase had been slammed so hard that the speaker came loose inside the unit. It still worked after I took it apart and glued the speaker in place.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had a friend who took her detector out west i believe. she forgot to take the batteries out and when they set it down it went beep beep beep. she had all sorts of greif on that so do yourself a favor. take them out image happy hunting