Home Precious Metals
Options

$100,000. CD Just wondering?

"We're near the cliff" and "In uncharted waters", are two current economic statements made by many. What would you do and when would you move it, if you had $100K in a 6 Mo. CD? Just wondering?

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Depends on what else you have.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be rolling it over just now, I'd prefer to have cash in hand to start buying whatever looks good based on next weeks news.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid CDs because I have to invest through a bank. Also keep in mind that the highest rates of return are paid by the banks that are closer to insolvency. Loss to inflation (or purchasing power upon maturity) is another factor to consider. There are better returns on your money elsewhere. I personally believe there is a fortune to be made with silver.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I would not roll it over and take SilverBaron's advice in this recent post..........HERE

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I would find a good realtor and invest It in real estate.

Also, 60 ounces of gold sounds good too!
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what else you have

good answer

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the reasons why you put the money in a CD in the first place. If those reasons havent changed, why should your investment?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    It's the safest place to have your money; don't move it.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you feel you need to do the CD thing then consider "laddering it". That serves a couple purposes. It gives to access to your cash on the quick maturites in case something else comes up AND it gives you a little better interest on the linger term ones. You could do five different 20K "ladders".

FYI- Everbank offerers a no downside risk PM CD that funds on Aug 14 I believe. The worst you come out is getting all your principal back but you participate on the upside. You can also do foreign CD's at 3, 6 and 12 month term. I've been rolling over aussie, swiss, cando, yen, hkd, nz, krona rtc cd's for the past 5 years or so. I like Everbank. Easy peezy...............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186
    There has been some thought producing replies.image

The minds on this board never cease to amaze.

One could almost combine all suggestions and produce a safe, diverse, profit gerenerating plan.

Taking that leap of faith, and making the change is sometimes difficult.image
  • Options

<< <i>Depends on what else you have

good answer >>

Thank you. How else can you intelligently respond? I know that I've got a few of what the OP is talking about but they make a small part of the overall plan. If it's all you got, well, there's s different reply for that than if it's 1/10th of the portfolio.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy shares in the groupon IPO.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you gotta have paper, MJ makes some very good points about laddering and Everbank.

My opinion is that paper holdings are not particularly good risks, especially given the current yield landscape.

While the optimum move certainly does depend on what the rest of the portfolio consists of, I personally would cash out and hold some cash while averaging into some bullion purchases over a period of a few months. At today's interest rates, I'd probably hold about 25% of it back as cash.

Added: I would definitely avoid real estate at the moment. Other opinions may vary.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Depends on what else you have

good answer >>

Thank you. How else can you intelligently respond? I know that I've got a few of what the OP is talking about but they make a small part of the overall plan. If it's all you got, well, there's s different reply for that than if it's 1/10th of the portfolio.

Exactly. that's why I thought you gave a good answer, I wasn't being sarcastic. Asset allocation of this $100k would depend on the context of the overall portfolio, without knowing what else he's got, it's hard to give advice, if it was my decision (actually, what he asked, now that I reread the OP) the money would be divided about equally among
    landscaping and building improvements
    cash reserves/dry powder
    PMs and/or rare coins
    tech and biotech stocks
    (and maybe a little for a vacation image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Well, and depending on age, maybe a LOT for vacation. A loooong vacation image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    You could take 50k out and buy metals then put the other 50k in a cd and see how well they do.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.