Home Precious Metals
Options

Is the Swiss Franc the new safe haven?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1.23 now. Always beware parabolas.

It would also behoove one to look at a chart of the Euro. A quite sizeable move is coming imminently. >>

I'm assuming a drop.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1.23 now. Always beware parabolas.

It would also behoove one to look at a chart of the Euro. A quite sizeable move is coming imminently. >>

I'm assuming a drop. >>

You got it Perryhall. Got EUO? Euro down 4% in the last week. Now trading just under or on MAJOR support of the 200dma, uptrendline from the June 2010 low and price support of the May and July 2011 lows. Sustained action under 140 leads to 130, in which case the dollar should trade to at least 77, which will then test the resolve of the dollar bears.

Swissy at 1.17. Ouch. Looks like the Swiss citizens have lost their chance at that cheap condo in Miami. Now they be stuck with swampland in Venice.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to rearrange the deck chairs again. Fiat, anyone?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, bubbles always look obvious once they're popping and afterwards

No time for rearranging deck chairs around Baleyville; but the scientific symposium in California yielded two stock investments and a private equity venture

Gold stores capital very well, and lately has been growing in value vs. other asset classes and most stocks, not just "storing" but appreciating because it's gains have outpaced inflation by a wide margin (if a goldbug doesn't admit to at least a little "once in a generation metal mania" this time then maybe he's deluding himself a bit)

One should always consider regression toward the long term mean as a possibility, especially for unusual spikes and plummets in a currency or commodity that has a long history

Silver all-time peaked at the equivilent of $800/oz in Europe in the 1400's image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is no doubt that gold is the new safehaven. Currencies will rise and fall as central banks manipulate them. Currency traders will continue to profit, or lose, from the moves.
    Gold continues to reflect the results of the central bank efforts.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    Steve Leesman suggests everything under the sun (other than gold) is the new safe haven.

After all, he points out that gold is up 31% already.

Yepper.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Swiss capped their currency at 1.20 to the Euro. They said they will not let it raise any higher. Gold was sold off to mitigate the losses in the Swiss trade.

The Swissy got ripped a new one today. Self induced. MJ

Swiss cheese today

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's like a man falling from a skyscraper saying that when he hits the ground its really going to hurt and he is going to die... so, therefore, he must not hit the ground. Good luck with that one."

The Swiss Franc Ties Itself To The Collapsing Euro in Double Suicide

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    Great Title, derryb. Won't this make Germany even more antsy?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poo. I'd bought some Swiff francs as part of my safe haven strategy, but they found me out again.

It's getting harder to find a place to hide.

• Options
    It's getting harder to find a place to hide

Is that really the goal in life? to hide?

wrap yourself in bubble wrap and sit still in a chair in the middle of a room...

sure, you'll be "safe", but is that any kind of life? is it healthy and growing?

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm healthy and growing fine, Baley.

I'm talking about what I've earned fiancially and am trying to preserve in the face of institutional manipulations.
  • Options
    I'm not worried about members of this board, we're a pretty sharp crowd.

its this pervasive "I'm afraid" mentality in the markets that's getting a little old, there's always something to fear and "I'm afraid" it's crippling us as a country

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not worried about members of this board, we're a pretty sharp crowd.

its this pervasive "I'm afraid" mentality in the markets that's getting a little old, there's always something to fear and "I'm afraid" it's crippling us as a country >>

There's absolutely no leadership from any corner. All the big shots are too busy trying
    to get a bigger piece of what's left to even think about our problems. There's only a lit-
    tle more than a year left in Obama's presidency and not one more inner city child can read
    now than could read three years ago. This is our biggest problem in this country and could
    be fixed in less than six weeks with draconian action.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    No more.
    They'll wreck the currency now.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not worried about members of this board, we're a pretty sharp crowd.

its this pervasive "I'm afraid" mentality in the markets that's getting a little old, there's always something to fear and "I'm afraid" it's crippling us as a country >>

I can agree with you. No sense in worrying about the inevitable collapse of the US $. I'm just keeping long gold and silver and other hard assets. Makes me sleep like a baby.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley