Home Precious Metals
Options

Fake eagle detector scale-- where can I get one?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw one dealer using a long piece of wood weighted for one oz, sort of like a teeter totter. It also had a slot to test the diameter and thickness of the coin. It seems really fool-proof and easy to use.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942
    If you are interested in a more polished, but expensive detector try the fisch.

I bought some during the previous bull market in gold.

Fisch detector
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>If you are interested in a more polished, but expensive detector try the fisch.

Fisch detector >>

Or you can buy a digital scale for $14.99 and carry a small plastic ruler with millimeters. Just a thought. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are interested in a more polished, but expensive detector try the fisch.

Fisch detector >>

Or you can buy a digital scale for $14.99 and carry a small plastic ruler with millimeters. Just a thought. image >>

It would sure be far less expensive and far more versatile.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Or you can buy a digital scale for $14.99 and carry a small plastic ruler with millimeters. Just a thought. image >>

I have those too and agree that the fisch is expensive at current prices.

Do you carry your digital scale and caliper with you for all buys?

Otherwise, it does not do much good.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>Or you can buy a digital scale for $14.99 and carry a small plastic ruler with millimeters. Just a thought. image >>

I have those too and agree that the fisch is expensive at current prices.

Do you carry your digital scale and caliper with you for all buys?

Otherwise, it does not do much good. >>

I do not carry my scale with me....but im not buying gold coins from guys named Jimbo on craigslist either. I buy from established dealers at their shops and/or at shows, and on ebay. I have literally owned several hundred gold coins and have yet to see anything even remotely close to a "passable" fake.
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942

<< <i>I buy from established dealers at their shops and/or at shows, and on ebay. >>

Thank you gecko109, It's refreshing to hear that you have confidence in your dealers, there is normally so much negativity about them on these forums.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    How about a pocket scale, they don't cost much and do the job.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I occasionally get krands / Maples to come in the shop that are fake, but most of these are fairly easily recognizeable by anybody who has been in the business a while.

No older gold is a bit different, I get more of these that are good fakes, that take a little knowledge to discern. I have had several $1, 2 1/2 , 5's and coupel of 10's and even a saint .

jim
  • Options

<< <i>older gold is a bit different, I get more of these that are good fakes, that take a little knowledge to discern. I have had several $1, 2 1/2 , 5's and couple of 10's and even a saint .

jim >>

Hi Jim, Were any of the older gold fakes, wrong metal? Thanks.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, thanks guys, the fisch was actually what I was thinking of! image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>older gold is a bit different, I get more of these that are good fakes, that take a little knowledge to discern. I have had several $1, 2 1/2 , 5's and couple of 10's and even a saint .

jim >>

Hi Jim, Were any of the older gold fakes, wrong metal? Thanks. >>

The problem with pre-1933 U.S. gold coin counterfeits is that they are mostly made to proper specs (weight, fineness, diameter, etc) so only a detailed examination by an expert is adequate to authenticate such coins. The counterfeiter makes their illicit profit on the numismatic premium on their creations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.