Home Precious Metals

Spot & Melt $$

When I think of silver bullion I think of bars, mine are Eng
When I think of silver coins, I think of round stamped things
I have both 1920's & 1930's coins = stamped
I have Eng bars 1 & 10 oz = unstamped
I dont have Eng rounds, to me they dont exhist, to me rounds mean stamped coins.

Could someone tell me what the difference is between spot & melt price in silver.
Whatever it is is it the same between a 1 oz silver coin & 1 & 10 oz silver bar. Example if Silver spot which i think is the same as melt is $38. can I assume that 38 for either one coin or bar is about the same price because there both .999 silver.
What is a fair % price a B&M guys should pay me below spot or melt. should he take 10 15 or 20% for buying my stuff..
Since im asking would your answer be the same for a 1 oz gold 1982 rand coin ?? should I sell that at spot gold on a given day minus BM's commission or is there another value here that I dont know about.
Thanks I appreciate you help !! If you reply could you answer how I will understand, silver round is a coin, bullion is a bar.

Comments

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    If you are talking about a 10 oz Engelhard bar, the spot is $38 (the price of 1oz of silver at that given moment) while the melt is $380 (the silver value of the bar based on the silver spot).

Bullion is anything that has a value based on its PM content. Either coin, round or bar.
    A coin is a round with legal tender issued by a Governement institution.

edited to add: sorry for the quick reply but have no time now. Other forum members will surely go in more details.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends

on the specific pieces of metal, the place and time, the moods of the buyers and sellers

spot mean value of an ounce pure but usually refers to large amounts of recognizable bullion

"melt" means the value of the metal in the piece, if you have a coin with a third of an ounce of pure silver then melt for the coin is one third spot

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot in my language means...the current price of 1 toz of PM. Melt indicates the value of your PM. (Spot price x # of toz) If an item sells for $2 above spot, it's per 1 toz.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Bullion

Coin

Bullion

Coin
  • And last but not least.......Bullion/Coin..image

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And last but not least.......Bullion/Coin..image

image >>

imageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are talking about a 10 oz Engelhard bar, the spot is $38 (the price of 1oz of silver at that given moment) while the melt is $380 (the silver value of the bar based on the silver spot).

Bullion is anything that has a value based on its PM content. Either coin, round or bar.
    A coin is a round with legal tender issued by a Governement institution.

edited to add: sorry for the quick reply but have no time now. Other forum members will surely go in more details. >>

quick reply was a very good answer.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• First I want to Thank those who EXPLAINED the difference between spot & melt, I understand what you said.
    To Leonidas you just said what the coins are not why the difference in what there called.
    I see 4 silver coins
    I see 1 bar of raw bullion
    I see 1 copper coin
    Where I think some here are mistakenly calling things wrong names is because all precious metals are called bullion until there changed to something different.
    A silver coin has raw silver bullion in it but when its struck, then its called a silver coin.
    A copper coin has raw copper bullion in it but when its struck, then its called a copper coin.
    A piece of white bread is a white piece of bread, when you burn it its now called toast. If you order toast & your brought white bread what would you do/say.
    Struck & burn are the same for my example.
    I have never heard until I came here CU what you here call things so this is why Im confused. I apologize if Iv offended anyone, this would be the last thing I would want to do.
    One last thing go into a coin shop an ask for a 2006 bullion….Thats all, I bet the owner will look at you an say do you want a raw bullion bar or do you want a coin.
    If my thinking is wrong please tell me why..... Thank you
  • If someone walked up to me and wanted some 2006 bullion the first thing I would think of is;

1. American Silver Eagle
    2. Canada Maple Leaf
    3. Mexican Silver Libertad
    4. Gold American Eagle
    5. Gold American Buffalo
    6. and so on and so on

Spot price of PM's are the quote of the moment. Melt value (to me) is the amount of pm in the round (coin) or bar.

And yes, there is a $50 denomination on that Gold Eagle but would ya want just Fify bucks fer it ?
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    So is spot just determined by the seller?
    Becky
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So is spot just determined by the seller? >>

Spot prices are determined by the world silver markets. To find spot prices of PM's, check Kitco at kitco.com.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

So where do you find melt?
    Becky
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So where do you find melt? >>

Melt is the value of the bullion content of a coin or bar. Multiply the silver weight of the coin or bar times the spot price of silver. A dollar face value of silver coins (1964 or earlier) weighs about 0.715 Troy ounces and a Morgan or Peace dollar weighs about 0.77 Troy ounces of silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• papabearpapabear Posts: 849 ✭✭
    OK, now I have it. Thanks guys. I was trying to think about it in bullion only.
    Becky