Home Sports Talk
Options

Fan Who Caught Jeter's 3,000th Hit May Owe IRS Thousands

stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fan Who Caught Jeter's 3,000th Hit May Owe IRS Thousands
Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 | Updated 9:35 AM EDT

Christian Lopez smiles as he speaks about catching New York Yankees' Derek Jeter's 3,000th career hit ball Saturday. The tax man may be on the hunt for the super fan who caught Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit.

Christian Lopez, 23, recovered the prized ball his father fumbled after The Captain hammered it into their section of the stands in the third inning of the Yankees' win over Tampa Bay on Saturday.

The Verizon salesman from Highland Mills, N.Y., gave the ball back to Jeter, whom he called an "icon," and the Yankees lavished a slew of prizes, including luxury box seats for every remaining home game this season and post-season and some signed memorabilia.

Now the IRS wants a piece. The prizes Lopez received are estimated to be worth more than $32,000 -- and, like game show contestants, Lopez may have to pay taxes on the gifts and prizes because the IRS considers them income.

Some estimate the IRS will put Lopez on the hook for anywhere between $5,000 and $13,000, reports the Daily News.

If it comes down to that, Lopez says he'll pay the tax man because he's not about to relinquish his seats. The young government major says his family and friends will help him out.

"The IRS has a job to do, so I'm not going to hold it against them, but it would be cool if they helped me out a little on this," Lopez told the News.

The specially marked home run ball Lopez returned to Jeter was estimated to have been worth about $250,000 to $300,000 at auction.

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    He didn't receive prizes, he made a trade. A trade that he got the short end on. IF anyone owes more taxes, it's the Yankees/Jeter.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>He didn't receive prizes, he made a trade. A trade that he got the short end on. IF anyone owes more taxes, it's the Yankees/Jeter. >>

IRS can still consider the ball itself to be "income" and ask for taxes based on the ball's estimated value. At least, that's the threat they floated by the guy who caught Barry Bonds' #756 HR ball.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    He won't have to pay taxes based on its estimated value. He will pay taxes on the profit that he received from the sale, which is reportedly $32,000. Why is everybody surprised? Now, I wonder if he can turn this around and say that he donated an item with an estimated value of $250,000, and offset the insuing taxes.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

<< <i>He won't have to pay taxes based on its estimated value. He will pay taxes on the profit that he received from the sale, which is reportedly $32,000. Why is everybody surprised? Now, I wonder if he can turn this around and say that he donated an item with an estimated value of $250,000, and offset the insuing taxes. >>

Being a sales rep, "Verizon salesman", he will likely writeoff some of that as entertainment expense as well, taking clients to the game, etc.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO, now if he had a few hundred grand he could pay this bill without worries image
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, no good deed goes unpunished, huh? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    it was a gift...end of story...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    C'mon...this is all part of Obama's concept of shared sacrifice. We all know that only billionaires and jet owners have luxury boxes. This salesman should suck it up and do it in the name of "shared sacrifice"

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Those same billionaires should be able to teach him how to use tax loopholes to pay as little taxes as possible, since that's what they do best.

Someone mentioned that the Yankees said they would pay for his taxes... if that's the case, then wouldn't THAT count as income? I'm confused...
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    He also said that he owes $100,000 in student loans.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it was a gift...end of story... >>

Perhaps in Utopia but not here in America.

Did you know that your parents can "gift" you $13K and it would be 100% tax-free? On the other hand, if I (being the kind and generous person that I am) gave you $13K, it would be considered ordinary income to you.

The more you know.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>it was a gift...end of story... >>

Perhaps in Utopia but not here in America.
    Did you know that your parents can "gift" you $13K and it would be 100% tax-free? On the other hand, if I (being the kind and generous person that I am) gave you $13K, it would be considered ordinary income to you.
    The more you know.
    image >>

Barry .. that is incorrect. You can make a GIFT to ANYONE and EVERYONE if you want to. In addition, the $13K has nothing to do with "Income Tax" ... it's for Gift/Estate tax purposes only. BTW ... your parents can gift you $26K without paying a gift tax or eating into their lifetime credit ... it's $13K from each of them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy will soon get "catcher's remorse"...Jeter, "Mr. Wonderful", has yet to pony up any coin, which he could so very, very easily do to both calm down the IRS issue and pay this guy's student loan debt.

I suspect that he does indeed have an imputed value in the suite the Yankees have given him for the remaining season. IMO this guy, while somewhat commendable to be so kind to the uber-millionaire Jeter, will rue the day he handed that ball over.

Remember when Oprah gave away all those cards to the audience? Each recipient (if memory serves), had to shell out $6k++ to the IRS...a sombering thought to many I'm sure.

Yet another reason why this country should go to a more realistic taxation, like a flat tax.