Home Sports Talk

Did anyone see the US woman's game against Brazil

Lot's of drama, and an amazing comeback by a clearly more fit American squad. One of the more entertaining soccer games I've seen in a while, and justice was served with the US coming away with the victory.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone pull their jersey off?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The traffic on this thread reflects the Womens WC TV ratings.

If the US wins it all, the WHOLE TEAM should take their shirts off. They need it for publicity, and it would be the only thing that would top Brandi from 1999.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Given that the men's World Cup barely draws any attention on this board, I'm guessing that nobody saw the women's game. I didn't see the whole game, but I happened to catch live the awful call by the ref about Solo moving early on the PK...what is laughable was how much the Brazil keeper was moving on the game winning PK. I wonder if the ref would have made the same call there.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Awesome game...

Awesome finish by Abby, and a great ball from Rapinoe...

Solo is a difference maker...and her mere presence is intimidating...

Lets see how they do on Wed.

Best of luck - ride the high...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    What a finish!Not sure anybody saw them coming back from that one.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Given that the men's World Cup barely draws any attention on this board, I'm guessing that nobody saw the women's game. I didn't see the whole game, but I happened to catch live the awful call by the ref about Solo moving early on the PK...what is laughable was how much the Brazil keeper was moving on the game winning PK. I wonder if the ref would have made the same call there. >>

I don't think the ref ever indicated who moved early, but ESPN showed a replay that showed that someone on team USA clearly went into the box before the kick was taken.

• << <i>
    I don't think the ref ever indicated who moved early, but ESPN showed a replay that showed that someone on team USA clearly went into the box before the kick was taken. >>

Should that kick ever have been taken ? The replay showed that Marta and the US defender were shoulder to shoulder. Both were clutching the jersey, and both lunged for the ball as Hope Solo was coming out to shut the play down.

The 2nd Brazil goal was offsides, wasn't it ?

It's not easy getting all the calls right, but both Brazilian goals were questionable at best.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone pull their jersey off? >>

• robbiegiggsrobbiegiggs Posts: 315 ✭✭
    I watched from start to finish and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I wish all soccer games were like that.

At the same time, I am completely disgusted with the poor sportsmanship that Brazil displayed with all their injury dives at the end of the game. Most notably, the player that took that dive in the last 5 minutes of over time. She should have been given a Red card, not a yellow. That was blatant and obvious. Yes, I know, players do it in EVERY game but it is past ridiculous. We've all watched batters get hit with 80-90 mph fastballs and they run to 1st so why does this soccer player in so much pain from falling in the grass at 10mph...? Please don't say, "That's how soccer is played" because it isn't. That's what it has turned into. I went to see my 11 year old nephew play soccer a while back and the coaches son (from the other team) took a dive when the ball was taken away from him. He rolled around on the grass until he realized he wasn't getting a call. I couldn't believe it.

If you can't tell, this REALLY bothers me...

robbie, I agree with you. They have to implement some sort of post match review system and start suspending/fining/carding players that take blatant dives (depending on which type of competition it occurs in). Either that, or any player that needs medical attention has to sit out 5 minutes of game action.

The diving/acting has gotten out of control. As soon as a player senses he is going to lose the ball (even if it not lost yet, and he could very well maintain possession), he starts falling/rolling around as if he's been shot. FIFA needs to get their head out of their a$$es on this one. There is one guy on the field that can call fouls, and sometimes he is 25-30 yards away from the contact. It's impossible for the referee to get it right all the time.

• << <i>I watched from start to finish and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I wish all soccer games were like that.

... >>

Agreed. One of the best soccer games I've ever seen as far as suspense is concerned. And these girls can play. They are very good.

If you're a Manchester United fan then their champions league win against Bayern Munich with two late goals in injury time to win the
    title 2-1 would compare to it. Or Germany's mens 5-4 penalty kick shootout over France in '82 when the French were leading 3-1 in
    extra time, and Germany tied it in extra time with two late goals, one on a bicycle kick I believe.
  • On to the finals. Rapinoe gets put in when the score is 1-1 and the team does it again. She is our super sub so far. The final isn't goingt to be easy. Go USA !

• Which team will be the team of destiny? Japan overcoming an earthquake or the United States overcoming President #44.
    Crushing loss vs. Japan, although during the last 45 minutes of play, the US seemed completely disorganized in the back.