Home Precious Metals
Options

New Scientist article about rare elements

Was reading new scientist magazine from last week I think and there was an excellent article about supply, uses and rarity of 13 exotic metals including things like indium. An excellent reference for those interested in this type of stuff. Unfortunately I cant scan the article because I´m overseas and the website only has a preview. And I left the magazine up in my room. Anyone read this article and care to elaborate?
Still thinking of what to put in my signature...

Comments

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Did it say anything China controlling most (90%+) of the known rare earth elements including those used in most of our advanced weapon systems and in our battery powered cars?
  • Options
    Yes, did mention about China controlling most of these but said that could be good because we are forced to deal with the problem now rather than in 10 years. Wish I could scan and print whole article but would breach copyright, I'd highly recommend getting a copy of the magazine if interested, it is the cover story and has a white cover, think it is from last week.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Article from Yahoo today: Huge Rare Earth Deposits Found in Pacific
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you need to know about rare elements.

Link..exotic metals
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Article from Yahoo today: Huge Rare Earth Deposits Found in Pacific >>

Thank goodness it wasn't found right of the coast of the US. It wouldn't be touched due to the bunny huggers.
  • Options
    At first I thought it was an article about brains in Washington DCimage
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options

<< <i>At first I thought it was an article about brains in Washington DCimage >>

Rare but no elements
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not rare at all. Just not exploited.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2010/5220/
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear