Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay bidding just to find out ..........

LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering if anybody else goes on eBay or other sites and bids on all of the true auctions in an attempt to build an understanding of what the value of their favorite item is?
I know every once in awhile just to see were items are ending I will go in and use PCGS Half Dollars as a search then go to auctions and newest items and bid a low ball bid just to see where they are ending at for price comparison to the price guides.

Comments

• Options
    Can't you do a search of "Closed Auctions" and fined that out??
  • Options
    If I am either looking to buy a certain coin, or sell one, I will seach Ebay for similar coins and then put them onto my watch list. Once listings are ended you should have a pretty good idea of the price range to expect.
    For some reason, I find bidding on an item for any other reason than to own it a little questionable (no offence).
    You can work until you get it right, or you can work till you can't get it wrong.
    You don't get, what you don't ask for.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I would just look at the completed listings
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Just search the completed listings using the search filters.
  • Options
    I have found some very interesting bidding habits on some auctions this way also.
    Completed auctions show all the no sells too so yes they are a indicator also.
    Oh and I would really love to own the items I bid on if I could get them at my bid levels. In fact I won two auctions yesterday that I was just wondering what the item was worth those items will be fillers next fall when I start selling more often.
  • Options
    Or just click track this item??
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    You can always track an auction too, i do it all the time. I think it is against eBay rules to place bids to just feel for
    a reserve or high bidder?

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completed listing on ebay, as well as Heritage auction (ha.com) is your best source for prices... image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Completed listing on ebay, as well as Heritage auction (ha.com) is your best source for prices... image >>

True, but eBay only goes back two weeks which, IMO, is not enough time to get a gauge.

Herotage on the other hand goes back to the beginning of time but they do not sell raw coins.

I don;t understand why eBay can't go back for at least 6 weeks and yes, sometime I do placeholder bids as well.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for some specific items I do the same test bids as well.

yes, you can use "saeach completed listings"
    yes, there is a watch list

but there is a third way. Place a low ball bid and have them pile up on the "items not won" page.

I do it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    I will admit , and sometimes I come up a winner. You take the risk that you may end up with a problem coin if you win, but there are thankfully return policies that favor the buyer. I think more people should bid on some of these auctions.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

<< <i>Just wondering if anybody else goes on eBay or other sites and bids on all of the true auctions in an attempt to build an understanding of what the value of their favorite item is?
    I know every once in awhile just to see were items are ending I will go in and use PCGS Half Dollars as a search then go to auctions and newest items and bid a low ball bid just to see where they are ending at for price comparison to the price guides.
    image >>

So you're the guy who keeps sniping me. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just wondering if anybody else goes on eBay or other sites and bids on all of the true auctions in an attempt to build an understanding of what the value of their favorite item is?
    image >>

So you're the guy who keeps sniping me. image >>

Only if it fills a hole, items that I really want do get snipes set on but I normally put those in the watch list rather than bidding on them and showing my hand.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Place a low ball bid and have them pile up on the "items not won" page. >>

this method has netted some good items, especially when the the title is vague, has has typo, etc.

i like when aseller uses the counter to identify how many views it has, to gauge intrest in the item.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file