Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    I will buy them at .01 cent each and take them off their hands image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Ship them to Peru where they spend them. They will never be used in the USA until they stop printing Dollar Bills.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like similar thoughts as the others threads on this subject the past couple days.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DCAMDCAM Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they're confused, they talk about the cost to make the coins versus bills in the article. There are easily 1 billion, one dollar coins laying around.
    Buy More Coins!!
  • Options
    US Dollar coins have been in the mainstream news lately. Interestingly one article says a new Gov't study shows that paper dollars are not extremely more expensive than the hard metal dollars. This is different from earlier reports. New dollar bills last longer than older ones. Coins sit on dresser tops (and in cans, whatever image ) which means many more need to be produced. There were other reasons too, like continuing to be required to make Sacajaweas and meeting minimum minting requirements rather than minting what is needed. Not the least reason: metal costs much more now than it did in earlier studies.

I guess I'm changing the topic. I always did think the US Mint was stupid for advertising Sacagaweas as "golden dollars" when first minted. Of course the absent minded public would hear "gold dollars" rather than what was said. And to this day they still are confused.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ship them to Peru where they spend them. They will never be used in the USA until they stop printing Dollar Bills. >>

I think you mean Ecuador.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're rich !!!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are stockpiling for the switchover from the paper dollar.

youll see it happen in a few years.
  • Options

<< <i>They are stockpiling for the switchover from the paper dollar.

youll see it happen in a few years. >>

• Options
    Commerce hates these pieces . Some retailers refuse to take them.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Commerce hates these pieces . Some retailers refuse to take them."

If I found a retailer that would not take them, I would walk out.... it is legal tender. That is rubbish....JMO... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an idea:

Take the $1 billion in dollar coins now being stored and have the government/mint churn out the same amount of dollar coins 20,000 more times. Doing so would result in the government having $20 trillion in dollar coins in storage with the production cost of same being 30 cents each, or $6 trillion. The seniorage on the $20 trillion in coinage would be $14 trillion, or the approximate amount of our national debt [excluding unfunded future liabilities].

Take $6 trillion of the dollar coins and keep them in storage. Use the other $14 trillion of dollar coins to pay those to whom the national debt is owed and hope that over time the recipients of the dollar coins will lose them or just toss them in a drawer or coffee can and forget about them.

I know the above is crazy, but not any more crazy than having $1 billion of these dollar coins simply sitting in storage while the mint keeps producing more of them to comply with Congressional legislation cramming the presidential dollar down our throats along with the Sacagewea dollar.

How much cubic space [i.e. cubic feet, or cubic yards] would $1 billion in dollar coins take up?

Same question for $14 trillion in dollar coins?
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I had a bank teller that wouldn't take a Ike dollar! "I have never seen one of those!"

Now I'm confused with all the "new dollar" coins.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how many contain errors?
    Missing edge lettering, off center?
    Give them away, help stimulate the economy, deposit 1 million of them in my checking account image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is an idea:

Take the $1 billion in dollar coins now being stored and have the government/mint churn out the same amount of dollar coins 20,000 more times. Doing so would result in the government having $20 trillion in dollar coins in storage with the production cost of same being 30 cents each, or $6 trillion. The seniorage on the $20 trillion in coinage would be $14 trillion, or the approximate amount of our national debt [excluding unfunded future liabilities].

Take $6 trillion of the dollar coins and keep them in storage. Use the other $14 trillion of dollar coins to pay those to whom the national debt is owed and hope that over time the recipients of the dollar coins will lose them or just toss them in a drawer or coffee can and forget about them.

I know the above is crazy, but not any more crazy than having $1 billion of these dollar coins simply sitting in storage while the mint keeps producing more of them to comply with Congressional legislation cramming the presidential dollar down our throats along with the Sacagewea dollar.

How much cubic space [i.e. cubic feet, or cubic yards] would $1 billion in dollar coins take up?

Same question for $14 trillion in dollar coins? >>

please delete this before someone in Washington reads it and thinks its a great idea..............you know they would.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not gold coins,
    golden coins
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Saw that story on coinflation.com.
    Good read
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file