Home Precious Metals
Options

Do premiums get cheaper on the way up or down?

I have purchased ASE's for 3.00 over spot all last year and most of this year but just recently my local dealer raised the premiums to 4.00 over spot. Silver rounds have also raised to 2.00 over spot. I know the spot price has been falling so do dealers do this to make it up for purchasing at a higher price. I have also heard of premiums being raised when supplies were tight. The question I have is should premiums rise or fall when spot prices are falling. I guess in a perfect world they would stay the same.

Jim
Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Generally premiums will go up when the spot price drops. Especially on government issued/collectible value silver like maples, eagles, engelhard bars, etc.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Premiums on spot will go up temporarily when prices fall or go up, until supply and demand and competition kicks in.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Premiums tend to shrink when the prices have been stable for awhile, i.e., in a boring market. When prices are jumping all over the place, you can expect premiums to be larger.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I would find another dealerimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definition of PREMIUM

a sum over and above a regular price paid chiefly as an inducement or incentive

a high value or a value in excess of that normally or usually expected

Over and above, excess.

I dont like premiums.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear