1888 n162 Goodwins
William Muldoon

Joe Acton

Duncan C Ross

Allen and Ginter n43
Theo Bauer

Edwin Bibby

Duncan C Ross

1889 SF Hess (Rarest cards to find period, very very scarce)
Evan Lewis, the original Strangler Lewis!!!

William Muldoon

Jack Carkeek

Joe Acton

Mike Donahue

Prof. Bauer

Duncan C. Ross

Capt Daly

Prof. William Miller
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a GREAT collection of wrestling cards from the 19th century...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Some incredible cards, and high grades on many tough series! Great collection and thanks for sharing the scans....
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    That is quite a collection of wrestling cards. Finding that old of cards in such great shape is amazing. I am intrigued by the number of people whom collect all these cards (no matter what the sport/nonsport). I am one of them (fb/bskt/bb/tns). My older brother was a wrestler in the 80's-90's. The stories and characters are unreal. Thank you for sharing the cards/photos.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for compliments on the wrestling card collection. I really do enjoy these. My goal is to get the n28 Allen and Ginter cards of the wrestlers in PSA 7 across the board. I'd like to upgrade the n29 Allen and Ginters as well from the two PSA 5's that I currently own but there are few to chose from. The n162s are pretty tough to get in grades better than the 4s that I have. Only a few more on the pop report higher right now. The n184 Kimballs are super tough in a decent grade because the borders are so small. The 6.5 that I have of Whistler is a Pop 1. Would love to upgrade the others.

Toughest cards to find in any grade are the SF Hess cards. The printed checklist and the one used by the PSA registry is wrong. It is unknown the correct number of cards for the entire set. The Joe Acton that I own is not part of the catalogue but he clearly should have been. I have a few cards of other guys who are are part of the athlete set who should not be. These are more expensive and harder to find than even the PSA 7s of the Ginters that I have. If anyone knows how to find n332 SF Hess cards, let me know.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Bump for the show and tell thread!
  • Options
    Added the scan of my PSA 8 McMahon...... I was able to upgrade from the PSA 5 that I had so that is a huge improvement. I'd really like to upgrade my PSA 5.5 Bauer as that is my only n28 that is in the 5s while the others are higher. This will be a never ending quest.
  • Options

<< <i>Added the scan of my PSA 8 McMahon...... I was able to upgrade from the PSA 5 that I had so that is a huge improvement. I'd really like to upgrade my PSA 5.5 Bauer as that is my only n28 that is in the 5s while the others are higher. This will be a never ending quest. >>

You mean there was a McMahon involved in wrestling then too? image
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!

Thanks for sharing.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Awesome cards, great collection!!!
  • Options
    Yeah it is sort of funny that there is "another" McMahon involved in wrestling back in the 19th century. To be honest it did not come to my head but you never know if there is a relation there. I have a SF Hess card of Maurice Barrymore and apparently he is a great grandfather of the actress Drew Barrymore.

Thanks again for the compliments on the wrestling cards. I have a lot of fun with these and they would be some of the last cards I'd ever part with.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    King these are awesome!!! Keep up the good work and post any new finds!!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Rob,

Any of those guys still sign TTM?? image

That PSA 8 is outstanding. Great group of cards,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I do have an autograph of William Muldoon (four cards in the 19th century cards) although my parents were not born while he was alive......I'd like to make a custom with it at some point and get it slabbed. That would be awesome!
  • Options
    Perhaps this is the wrong thread but post some of your Frank Gotch cards and if you have any of George Hackenschmidt.

The auto idea sounds very cool!
  • Options
    Those are my favorite wrestlers to collect...I will make a Frank Gotch thread. There needs to be education on him as a wrestler. His accomplishments are beyond belief and are my most prized wrestling collectibles...thanks for the suggestion.

I will make a custom Muldoon card with his auto some day.
  • Options
    King that sounds like a great idea. Those are obviously very valuable collectables and he is worthy of his own thread.

I am anxious to see you put one together.
  • Options
    Is John McMahon related to Vincent Kennedy McMahon?

Nice Cards

Dave
  • Options
    I do not have knowledge that John McMahon is related to today's Vince McMahon in anyway. Would be a good story though.
  • Options
    Awesome cards!
    Interested in any Favre stuff you have to offer. image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The McMahons are not related.

Great collection!

I hope you don't mind, I've posted the images on a message board I frequent that is dedicated to the discussion of classic wrestling. Generally that means 1950s-80s but I think this qualifies too image

Tabe
  • Options
    I do not mind your sharing of the scans at all.... the more eyes on them the better. I like to display my collection when I can. Thanks!
  • Options
    King when you have some time today start a thread on Frank Gotch. I would love to see those cards and here more about his story.

• Options
    I'd like to scan in all my postcards of Gotch and that will take some time....the trading cards are quite easy.......
  • Options
    Added Joe Acton today with a PSA 5.5 with none higher. This is even better than the one in Spence's collection right now (PSA 5) so I celebrate those on the rare occasion that it happens....

• Options
    Hello C.U. board-

I have two big additions that I picked up from Fed Ex this morning.....I upgraded two cards.....

n184 Duncan Ross PSA 7 (MC), tiny borders which makes a miscut easier to stomach and an upgrade from my PSA 2. All around athlete and great wrestler of that era.... only a PSA 6 is better than the one that I have in hand now.......

n184 S Muller PSA 6, this is an upgrade from my PSA 3. There is only one PSA graded card better than this six.

I won both of these cards in the Goodwin auction and just picked them up this morning.....these are extremely tough in mid-grade. I'll have to wait to post scans until I get home tonight after coaching wrestling practice. I'd like to get a William Muldoon in a PSA 5 or better than my PSA 3 and should be pretty much done with improving cards from this series. These cards were from a set break from one of the retired sets in the registry on the all time list.

Today is a good day as it literally can be years to find cards in this condition from this set.

• Options
  • Options
    Rob these cards are awesome!

You are a true wrestling fan and these early cards are what show the great sport of wrestling!

Please keep your enthusiasm going for these early cards. These are true rarities and a real fan like you deserves to have the best collection.

• Options
    Thanks for the compliments, this is truly the meaning of the word "hobby" and a reason why I still collect after all these years of numerous interests before moving on....nothing really stuck until I found wrestling cards....here is the other that I won
  • Options
    Hi,

New to the site. While going through some of my fathers belongings I found an sf hess n332 card (I learned) that appears is not catalogued(?). I can't find it on any list and have learned that with these types of cards that can happen. The wrestlers name is Capt. Daly. on the card. If I'm right and I have a "one of a kind". Whom should be notified it exists? That might be a stupid question but is there an archive company that is responsible for whats out there or is it all willy nilly (willy nilly)? I probably will sell it at some point (maybe ebay) but am unsure until I know what to do before hand.
    Thanks in advance, Gary
    Card-A-Holic
  • Options
    It is not uncommon to find an uncatalogued card from this n332 series. There are few SF Hess in circulation and the previous attempt to catalogue this set was a weak effort. I had my Joe Acton graded and then eventually added to the set registry. I consider PSA adding it to the registry as good enough for me. On the other hand, the previouis attempts to catalogue the set had some errors.... I have a n332 SF Hess card of Maurice Barrymore and he is an actor and great grandfather to Drew Barrymore....he should not be a part of the athletes set. You can also find Thomas Edison in the athlete set which he clearly should not be. The great thing about SF Hess cards is that you do have a one of a kind item on the other hand it is so obscure that it limits collectibility as it is virtually impossible for someone to build the set or even a subset in any condition. I would have some interest in your card as I am aware of who Capt. Daly was. I do not consider him to be a prominent wrestler but he did have some wrestling in his background. Thanks for posting. I'd love to see a scan.
  • Options
    Turn on your PM, I would consider making an offer on the card.
  • Options
    Hi, Thanks for the responses. I am a comic collector so I understand the supply and demand part. Here is a pic. The image on the card is a bit faded but they all are from what I can see.
    Card-A-Holic
  • Options
    Card-A-Holic
  • Options
    Having trouble attaching?
    Card-A-Holic
  • Options
    Very cool card, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    I picked up the JC Daly n332 SF Hess card today so I am just awaiting to get it in the mail.......Hess cards are quite rare.I'd love to be able to find one of the other wrestlers on my want list.
  • Options
    Thought the site http://www.wrestlingdata.com was pretty cool to see how wrestlers have fared since the 19th century
  • Options
    I have two nice additions to the lot.... N28 PSA 7s of Matasada Sorakichi and PSA 7 of Theo Bauer.... now only JH McLaughlin is below a PSA 7 for my n28 collection of wrestlers. McLaughlin is a PSA 6 so I am not too far away. Just got these in today. The search continues.......
  • Options
    Been looking for this card for years and finally got it.....I think I missed my last chance almost six years ago......only one graded by PSA

• Options
    Any SF Hess wrestleir I get is a White Whale, check out the pop reports to see why.......stoked on these as they were all around athletes with some recorded wrestling matches with Duncan Ross having more recorded matches...........

Pop 1 Capt Daly

Pop 1 Duncan C Ross

• Options
    Added this one to my 19th century collection, SGC 50 (4) Duncan C Ross

• Options
    Thought Knapp would llike these as well. I continue on this quest for upgrades slowly.... :-)
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Rob, you have some fantastic cards. Thanks for sharing. I posted a few pics from my collection. The Duncan pic was used on the Ginter cards and the Farmer is 16 x 20.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    My dream would be a original Farmer Burns card but one has never been discovered to date.........
  • Options
    delete
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I was curious on what Catch as Catch Can Wrestling was so I popped over to Wikipedia (I'm still amazed that the self-policing mechanism of Wikipedia is so effective). Pretty interesting read on this era of wrestling. Great pick up!
  • Options
    Thanks! Not too often am I able to add a nice card to my 19th century wrestling card collection. The grades are a bit higher in my collection than I originally intended! :-)
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    im always amazed to see cards over 100 years old in that kind of condition.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    It's not quite 19th century but couldn't find another thread it belonged in. Wrestlingking convinced me I needed this one. Just scooped it up

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here