Options

How Ron Paul Would Fix the Economy

The Street: How Ron Paul Would Fix the Economy
How Ron Paul Would Fix the Economy

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul's Budget Priorities

Note that Paul's fix for the economy is to let it fix itself without government intervention.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    People say he's too radical but I say with 13 Trillion dollars of debt isn't it time for someone radical?
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People say he's too radical but I say with 13 Trillion dollars of debt isn't it time for someone radical? >>

Yeah, observing the spirit of the Constitution is radical. Isn't it amazing?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>People say he's too radical but I say with 13 Trillion dollars of debt isn't it time for someone radical? >>

Yeah, observing the spirit of the Constitution is radical. Isn't it amazing? >>

It baffles me too. Ron Paul 2012 image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Congress threw out the constitution a long time ago. So did the last few presidents when it comes to declaring war.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Actually I think the vast majority of Americans would not want to go back to the original constitution and it's meaning at the time.

That would mean slavery, as an example, would be legal, women wouldn't be voting. In fact the only people that would come out ahead would be white, male, land owning, anglo-saxon protestants. Then, just to piss off the WASP's we would have to remove In God We Trust from coins, and you know how the Christians howled about it being moved to the edge of a coin, much less removing it completely.

The world is a slightly different place than it was in the 18th C.
  • Options
    Indeed JMC but it would be nice if the federal government didn't have such an all powerful role in today's society and the states were allowed to govern themselves more independently.
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    The constitution outlaws slavery and it gives women the right to vote. The Constitution has been ammended since the 18th century. You should read it sometime. So should our political and military leaders, they are sworn to uphold it. Ron Paul's attack is against that part of our government that operates outside of and beyond our constitution as well as those that violate its provisions.

• Options
    Never mind. .
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    Ron Paul says a lot of things that make sense. Unfortunately, a lot of what he says doesn't make sense (to me at least). To me it sounds like he's got this HUGE mansion with hundreds of rooms. And he's only concerned with two or three of them. And he's focusing all of his energies on fixing up those rooms JUST RIGHT, while the rest of the mansion rots and decays around him.
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Going back to a gold standard would mean instant recession, because the economy could only grow by the amount of new gold that was available. It would be a repetition of the 1873-1879 depression; besides what value does gold have in a modern economy.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The solutions are actually quite easy, but the problem is no one wants to pay to fix things. And by pay, I dont mean monetarily.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Constitution has been ammended since the 18th century. >>

I probably know more than most in America about the constitution, and if you would read I stated "the original constitution and its meaning at the time". You can't pick and choose, if you want to go back to what the founders of the country originally meant and said then go all the way back, don't pick some random point in time, or particular amendments you happen to favor to say they are the original constitution. If we take the entirety of the constitution then powers are divided among the various governement and their branches, if something is outside their constitutional authority then the constitution allows you to take it to the supreme court where it can be thrown out as unconstitutional, something they have done many times.

Personally, by the way, I tend more towards being an anarchist then a republican or democrat. I would in fact like to have the fed's provide for defense, build interstate highways, negotiate foreign treaties and stay the heck out of my life otherwise. Unfortunately I have not found a way to reasonably make that happen, and allowing states and local communities to make their own decisions has failed miserably over the past couple of hundred years. If you want a recent example look at integration, something that had to be forced on some states (where I was born and grew up) 100 years after the War of Northern Aggression ended.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't pick and choose just certain sections of the Constitution that you want to have implemented. Regardless of the type of government, someone is going to be calling the shots, and someone is always going to think that they just got screwed. The beauty of the Constitution is that it allows for changes to happen in more or less fair ways.

As derryb points out, the Amendments are part of it, and always have been - as long as they have not been repealed. Basic stuff.

You can't pick and choose, if you want to go back to what the founders of the country originally meant and said then go all the way back, don't pick some random point in time, or particular amendments you happen to favor to say they are the original constitution.

If you truly understand the Constitution, you surely understand that the option to pass Amendments was built into the design. Going back to the original Constitution would only be valid if all of the Amendments were repealed. Correct?

Personally, by the way, I tend more towards being an anarchist then a republican or democrat. I would in fact like to have the fed's provide for defense, build interstate highways, negotiate foreign treaties and stay the heck out of my life otherwise.

JCMhouston, this is why I don't think that you understand the Constitution the way you think you do. The Founders felt similarly to the way you feel, n'est pas? It is designed with checks & balances to accomplish those very goals - to allow freedoms and to prevent government from overstepping.

Anarchy is fine if you are Doug Casey, but if you actually live every day in the USA - as you point out, things are much different than in the late 18th Century New England but The Principles are The Same. The Constitution is ON OUR SIDE. It needs to be taught and understood.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I probably know more than most in America about the constitution, and if you would read I stated "the original constitution and its meaning at the time". You can't pick and choose, if you want to go back to what the founders of the country originally meant and said then go all the way back, don't pick some random point in time, or particular amendments you happen to favor to say they are the original constitution. If we take the entirety of the constitution then powers are divided among the various governement and their branches, if something is outside their constitutional authority then the constitution allows you to take it to the supreme court where it can be thrown out as unconstitutional, something they have done many times. >>

Ron Paul's stand is about upholding the constitution as it exists; how it has been changed over time by "the people," not as how it started out. Your earlier post led me to believe you think he wants to go back to 1776.

The executive branch has found ways to violate the checks and balances built into the constitution; The legislative branch sits by and allows the executive branch to "make law;" and the judicial branch....well, let's just say they are appointed by the executive branch. So, what you end up with is a White House dictating "policy and war" at the direction of its puppet masters and campaign donors.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anarchy is fine if you are Doug Casey

... or Mad Max, or Snake Plissken, or John Rambo, or perhaps even Uther Pendragon or Aragorn son of Arathorn..

but if you actually live every day in the USA

then you can probably stop fantasizing about the return to a Gold Standard

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you fantasize about Mr. Ron Paul being the savior of this nation, it just won't happen. Happy dreams.

As a general rule the federal Govt has increased their proportion of GDP from about 18% to about 23% recently. And they will hang onto that share for dear life. If you think pubs or rats are going to give up their gravey train, think again. Name the last time they did. The federal govt isn't in the habit of giving back. Govt unemployment in the recession: 0%. Private sector unemployment 10-15% and much higher in certain areas.

When private sector people realize that they ---on average---give 50% of their effort to support others....and little timmy tax cheat is calling for more taxation to make it "FAIR"...eventually people will have to wake up...Mr. Ron Paul can not wake up America single handedly. But if it makes you happy, dream on.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Never mind again. Lots of rocks out there.
  • Options
    When 10 million unemployed and homeless converge on Capitol and brings DC to gridlock, than we will see what happens. What is happening in Greece will happen here.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When 10 million unemployed and homeless converge on Capitol and brings DC to gridlock, than we will see what happens. What is happening in Greece will happen here. >>

Very unlikely, unless you're willing to foot the transportation tabimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    The feds will more than likely barricade the city anyway and declare martial law.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The feds will more than likely barricade the city anyway and declare martial law. >>

Forgot to take your anti paranoid medicine today? image

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Gold is not animal or vegetable but mineral. Rocks and stones are minerals. Gold is a rock?

• Options
    There seems to be quite a few rocks posting around here image
  • Options
    Greece prepares to slash budget after confidence vote

Looks like Greece is up for sale.

Airports, highways and state-owned companies as well as banks, real estate and gaming licenses will all go on the auction block.

Their default is inevitable. Just let it happen already.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Constitution has been ammended since the 18th century. >>

Personally, by the way, I tend more towards being an anarchist then a republican or democrat. I would in fact like to have the fed's provide for defense, build interstate highways, negotiate foreign treaties and stay the heck out of my life otherwise. >>

this is not an anachist view, this is libertarian.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Greece prepares to slash budget after confidence vote

Looks like Greece is up for sale.

Airports, highways and state-owned companies as well as banks, real estate and gaming licenses will all go on the auction block.

Their default is inevitable. Just let it happen already. >>

Yes, there are lots of things that should be allowed to let happen.

BTW---The USA is "worth" about $100 trillion and owes $14 trillion. Lots of things could go on the auction block here as well.

• Options
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

BTW---The USA is "worth" about $100 trillion and owes $14 trillion. Lots of things could go on the auction block here as well. >>

Actually, our cummulative wealth barely half of that and falling fast.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

BTW---The USA is "worth" about $100 trillion and owes $14 trillion. Lots of things could go on the auction block here as well. >>

Actually, our cummulative wealth barely half of that and falling fast. >>

The value of the US stockmarket is about 13 trillion. The value of the US bond market is about 30 Trillion. Real estate about 23 trillion. Money markets 4 trillion. That is just private US citizen/corporation/municipality holdings. The US G owns vast holdings of real estate. How much is ANWAR worth? Or once of the largest aquifers in the world--Everglades. Or perhasp the largest geo-thermal source in the world--Yellowstone?

Now of course these wouldnt be sold due to national security reasons, but compared to other countries, the USA is by far the richest. For example, what does Switzerland own?

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    ANWAR? Heck we could probably sell Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Guam and pay off half our outstanding debt. Cut a deal with China and let them take back Taiwan and the other half of our debt is gone as well. Not to mention we could sell off Amtrak, the USPS, vast land holdings etc
  • Options
    there's also a certain amount of human capital, educational institutions, and gumption that is difficult to put a market value on image

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ron paul is going to fix the everything just the same way barry obama is going to fix it. right off a freaking cliff
  • Options

<< <i>ron paul is going to fix the everything just the same way barry obama is going to fix it. right off a freaking cliff >>

Now there's an inteligent thought and post image
  • Options
    Jobs are still fleeing this country. No end in sight. We have sold down the river by corrupt politicians that pander to the globalists, Fraud Street hucksters and the "too big to fail" bankster crooks.
    BOTH corrupt political parties now attack "Entitlements" which are forcibly taken from each Americans paycheck, to turn attention away from the truth.
    America is broke. The money for SS and Medicare/caid has been stolen, over $ 6 TRILLION in Congressional IOUs from the last 30 years to both programs. The Congress weasels now want you to suck it up and fend for yourself, while they enjoy outlandish retirement benefits and free health care, also paid by "We the Sheeple". gold is the money of kings
    silver is the money of gentlemen
    barter is the money of the poor
    debt is the money of slave

trust fools with your money and you will have none.

when the people give up control of their money and their free markets they become slaves to their handlers.

Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    he Congress weasels now what you to suck it up and fend for yourself, while they enjoy outlandish retirement benefits and free health care, also paid by "We the Sheeple". gold is the money of kings

Our government is run Enronesque style. Congress would be put in jail if they were a private corporation borrowing money from a private pension fund to run their business. Too bad we the people can't sue congress.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Unlike Greece, we're supporting two major wars and a minor conflict (Libya). If we decided to become strict isolationists, we could end our debt problems in less than a decade.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Unlike Greece, we're supporting two major wars and a minor conflict (Libya). If we decided to become strict isolationists, we could end our debt problems in less than a decade. >>

Don't forget, we're also supporting Greece with our tax dollars via the IMF.

• Options
    If we decided to become strict isolationists, we could end our debt problems in less than a decade.

... and then be faced with a whole new set of problems! some of them potentially much much worse!